Sunday, November 25, 2007

Originally appeared 2/5/06

Game day

  Today is the big day, Super Bowl 40.  (No I  am not using the Roman Numerals, it is a dead language after all.)  I am still not sure that I know who I should root for.  There is something to be said for rooting for the hometown team but there is also something to be said for the public spectacle of watching an entire city turn suicidal should the Steelers lose.  I wish that were an overexaggeration, but it really isn't.  Like Bill Johnson said when he was in Pittsburgh prior to the Denver game, the guy who fell off of his bar stool and had a heart attack when Jerome Bettis fumbled against Indiaanapolis is in many ways here a folk hero.  No one begs to question whether it is all that healthy that a game means so much to you that you nearly die watching it. 

    The scary things is, everyone here thinks winning is a forgone conclusion.  They are closing streets for the post game revelers starting at 6pm.  The game doesn't kickoff till about 20 after the 6pm hour. 

     There is another plus for me if the Steelers lose.  Angry phone callers to the radio show.   You can never get enough of those, though most of them will find a way to blame the Steelers loss on George Bush, after all he is to be blamed for everything else. 

     Well, better cut this short,  I am at work after all and I would like to get home before all hell breaks loose here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been