Sunday, November 11, 2007

Finally, new stuff

I apologize for the lack of original content recently, between work and tinkering with my pogo badges, I have been somewhat slacking around the blogosphere. I did get to copy over some of my missing material Saturday, but that was about it as far as adding to the page.

I did go to a poetry reading the other night. It is not something that I would normally take it, but it actually felt good to get out of my own skin for an evening and do something that normally I wouldn't do. Ken Waldman, who we had on the radio show, was doing a reading as part of the International Poetry Forum and Clair, who I had as a guest host on Monday, had an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to go. So for an hour, I got to relax and listen to The Fiddling Poet (www.kenwaldman.com). Muchas gracias Clair, much appreciated.

I had another job interview this past week. I think it went okay. My first job interview went very well, they have called me twice now about taking a job, but I am not sure I want it. If I take it, a job at K Mart, I would have to work both the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve would suck because that is the day my family gets together and I have little desire to blow that off for a rather poor paying job, and the day after Thanksgiving, the radio station is carrying all 4 of the high school championship football games, which means for each one I work I can make an extra $50. I am not inclined to blow off a potential $200 payday to work minimum wage for a bunch of bargain crazed shoppers. I had an interview at Eat N Park, which went well after they made me wait for far too long. The thing is my interview was with someone who can't even hire me, he had to pass my application on to someone else who does the hiring so I am wondering if it was a waste of everyone's time. I also received a call from Rite Aid, where I also applied, they gave me a phone number, they do a pre screening interview from a phone service, unbelievable. I had to sit through and interview on the phone where I was asked such intriguing questions as "Do you believe it is okay to steal from your employer? Press 1 for yes, press 2 for no". If I can pass that test (if I flunk, I think I will slit my wrists), they will call me for a real interview with an honest to god person.

I did work at the station today, actually, I got quite a bit done for a Sunday. I have two of the three shows in the system for next Sunday, I recorded 3 commercial feeds (I used to do 4, but we finally fulfilled our contract on one of them, so I no longer have to do it), recorded my two Clark Howard minutes so I don't have them in the morning, and put together a Best of show for tomorrow since Lynn is taking a vacation day. I have three authors lined up, Dave Maraniss on "Clemente", Jim Derych on "Confessions of a Former Dittohead" and Kevin O'Keefe on "The Average American". All and all, I put together a pretty decent best of if I do say so myself. I was going to use Jerry Bowyer as a guest host, but he isn't available and I didn't find out until it was pretty much too late to do anything about it. I could have used Phil Marcus, but I have him filling in on Thanksgiving and I really don't like repeating my guest hosts, I don't want anyone thinking they are getting special treatment, so I tend to rotate them. I'd like to think I have a pretty good stable to pull from, but it is like basketball, trying to get the ball to everyone to keep them all happy.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am really getting tired about hearing about the Aqua Dots. The story is that they are some type of toy, but if your kid eats them, there is some sort of chemical breakdown where they turn into the date rape drug. Excuse me, but when was it ever advisable for kids to go around eating their toys. I can't recall my mom ever saying for lunch I should slap a Matchbox car between a couple of slices of bread. Quite the opposite, I remember be warned not to eat such things as Play Do because they would make me sick. Likewise, we all had the kid in our school who got sick eating the glue, so why is it now okay for kids to cram toys into their maw? Why are we blaming the Chinese, rather than the parents who let their kids snack on toys? I'm just asking.........

I may post my appearance on Doug's show Friday, simply because I thought I did an okay job this week. Not sure anybody else thinks I did an okay job, but I do,a nd that is all that matters. Actually, after the show, Doug again told me he likes having me on, which is always nice to hear. I actually did the first hour by myself, just Doug, Greg his producer and I, because the rest of the group couldn't be there at 3pm. We didn't get anyone else until 4pm, so for an hour or so it was just me as the lone guest.

I mentioned the pogo badges earlier, I snagged all three this week, they were all pretty easy challenges and for good measure, I picked up the game award badge for reaching level 10 in Sweet Tooth, which Pogo just recently improved, which is good because the old version sucked something fierce. Lots of work for little tokens before, now it is more tokens and better jackpot spins and actual ranks to achieve, which makes for a much more enjoyable game.

I did pick up another $10 from doing online surveys the other day. I have been getting a decent number of surveys to complete, and I was close to the cash out point anyway, so I just opted for cash, I am once again down to 55 cents in the account, but I still have a survey in my house to fill out yet, I have just been lazy about getting to it.

Okay, I need to update the change meter as well, adding another .23 so the new total is $32.88. I should have some fantasy updates tomorrow, but I will admit, as I look at scores right now, it doesn't look good. Anyway, I am going to call it a wrap, it has been a long day and I feel like just laying about for a while. Laters.

26 comments:

  1. Ive heard of the Aqua dots recall, they are called Bindeez over here was going to get Jodi some for xmas, but they have recalled them all and taken them off the shelves.
    I too got both badges this week on pogo, didnt like the poker one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the powers that be at K-mart can't or won't accept that your main job takes priority then I'd tell them to stick it. Sounds like you have some other potential irons in the fire anyways. Good Luck!

    Btw did you press 1 for yes or 2 for no? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dont want to work at Kmart anyway. As to the children eating toys, all younger kids put their toys in their mouths. I'm thinking any toy with the potential for causing that kinda harm or death should be removed from the shelf. Even tho this particular toy isnt really for younger age children, theres still that off chance that they could accidentally get a hold of them. Jus fix the problem with the chemical and put them back on the shelf. Had they made sure it was safe in the first place, instead of rushing to make millions, they wouldnt be losing millions by having to pull them off shelves and fix it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont want to work at Kmart anyway. As to the children eating toys, all younger kids put their toys in their mouths. I'm thinking any toy with the potential for causing that kinda harm or death should be removed from the shelf. Even tho this particular toy isnt really for younger age children, theres still that off chance that they could accidentally get a hold of them. Jus fix the problem with the chemical and put them back on the shelf. Had they made sure it was safe in the first place, instead of rushing to make millions, they wouldnt be losing millions by having to pull them off shelves and fix it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is store policy with K mart regarding working those two days, I understand it, those are probably the two busiest dfays in retail and I am sure they would want every able body to be on site at least part of those days, it just doesn't mesh with my schedule is all and if I have to make a choice between the two, I will take my schedule in a heartbeat unless I am so poor that I am living in a gutter, which isn't the case just yet.

    As for kids putting stuff in their mouths, I am aware they do, I am also aware that growing up our parents told us not to do it, sometimes even slapping the little ones hands when they tried (I know, today that would be deemed child abuse). The idea that toys aren't good for you should be plainly obvious, they are toys, not food. The media just can't help themselves on this however, so every toy that could make a kid sick is now some infestation of all imports from China being bad for you, because the more obvious, don't eat toys, makes for bad copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok now I can comment lol as u said this is a new blog. I felt I'd give room for others to comment on ur blogs from y360. So anyway why are you lookin for another job may I ask? You prob already answered this sometime before now but well I dont get to everyone's blogs as I should. But again why such low paying jobs, they dont sound like fun either. Not that your suppose to just have all fun. But really sounds like it would be something to not stick around for.
    And as for the Aqua Dots. I see you point as to why have those kids stuck them in their mouths as when we were kids told not to do. Well I read in the paper the other day that it was a total of 5 kids, 4 alone being from Aust. Ages 12 yrs old -18mths. And 1 from Fla whom was 20mths. Now I did wonder why the 12 yr old would do that. But...... I am a mom of 4 soon to be 5 kids. And let me tell you it doesn't matter the age every child puts things in there mouth they shouldnt. Now I try to tell my children not to put toys in their mouths or anything else that shouldn't be there but when kids are told not to of course they want to find out why. As for the aqua dots they didnt even have a toxic warning on them just the choking hazard which of course would be.But have you seen them they look like freaking candy? Now dont get me wrong my 4 yr old wanted them for christmas this yr and I was sure gonna get them for her. But of course I wouldnt have not been right there with her as she played. I'd want to get in on the action too lol. Now as far as blaming China for everything. Well did you know there aren't really any American made toys. Hell I can't honestly think of any. Which kinda sickens me. But I do question why all the fuss now. I do understand the "lead" issue. But think about

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have been quite a few recalls of toys made in China, that could be why China is the focus. Personally I dont care who the maker is, China, Japan, Californians or Santa they should be held accountable for the product they place on the shelf.

    Every toy has the potential to be harmful to children, but a chemical that once ingested turns to the chemicals that make up the date rape drug is jus a little more serious then say that boxing glove set that was used to break little Johnnys nose.

    I agree to your point that its a parents responsibly to make sure their children know not to place things in their mouths, but the fact is that even once said chances are great that toy will find a way to their mouth once ur back is turned, in all likelihood faster then had u said nothing at all, that "well mom said I shouldnt so that must mean I have to jus try it once" syndrome that all kids suffer from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the more reason not to eat them I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although having small children put things into their mouth is a big deal, i think the worst angle of this story is that teenagers would get a hold of the "dots" and use them for "recreational purposes". Hence the recall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. True, but some teenagers to get a high when I was a kid would sniff glue or markers, yet a recall wasn't in the cards. I can still sniff as much as I want if I want that really cheap high. This story is just more scare media because it looks good, much like bird flu was a few years ago (where is my pandemic anyway). Sound and fury signifying nothing. This is better than most though, because we can pin it on those evil foreigners, when in a nation of roughly 300 million people, just how many got sick from this, 9?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I personally dont think its about blaming "those evil foreigners" I think its about blaming the manufacturers of a product. Wouldnt really make a difference who made it, it jus so happens that all the products due for recall are made in China...Why shouldnt the heat be on the manufacturers?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because they aren't cramming toys down kids throats for starters. I'm sorry the whole concept of not eating toys strikes me as common sensical. If we were going to do a recall on anything that is hazardous, pretty much everything would be off of the shelves, because people can misuse anything. Take something simple like bleach for instance, surely we have enough brain power to realize that it isn't intended for drinking, but somebody could in fact drink it if they wanted to, and the results of said behavior would be less than stellar. So we can do one of two things, either approach the use of bleach with a certain amount of common sense, or we could just recall it. While some would say that that I am reaching, consider that every year in the United States there are between 5000 and 15,000 cases of caustic ingestion with better than half of those being kids and the primary agent for caustic ingestion is in fact household cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is interesting to me to see how the media is handling this issue here and in the states. the product is marketed by an australian based company and they did confirm that the components were made in china, but there has been no witch hunt here by media against chinese made products that I've seen.

    When the product is re-released (without the GHB simulated adhesive in it) they plan to add an ingredient to the beads that will produce a foul taste when put in the mouth. I tend to agree with you Matt on the toy eating issue, there are far more children poisoned from other everyday products.
    And of the cases identified here, only one of the children was actually over the recommended age group to have this toy..........so where the hell was the parental supervision of those younger children?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will say this, originally the concerns were well founded, you had pet food that was tainted killing pets, then you had tainted meat products, but now it is just a matter of seeing how long this story has legs by picking anything and everything that could possibly be ingested as some kind of overwhelming threat. Part of the Chinese witchhunt comes from the simple fact we don't make anything anymore, rather than admit our faults and try to correct the problem, it is just easier to say that those imports are killing our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One difference between the toys and common cleaning goods is that we dont sit little Johnny down in the living room and say here play with this. So because the manufacturers arent sitting in my home giving my children toys to play with they shouldnt be held accountable for the quality and safety of the products they make? Do you think it would have been better had the media not informed the population that these beads when ingested turned into the chemicals that are in the date rape drug? Would we be better off not knowing what is harmful to our children?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we would be better off if people parented their kids.Sure we sit Johnny down and let him play with toys, that doesn't mean we should let Johnny eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When Christian was 4 he swallowed a penny, this after me telling him several times not to put the penny in his mouth not to mention taking it away. Obviously I didnt put it in a good enough spot or it was a different penny altogether but still, does that mean I'm a bad parent? That I need to do a better job of parenting my child?

    All I'm saying is that no amount of parenting is going to for 100% keep a child from placing something in their mouth. Thats not to say they shouldnt be responsible enough to tell the child no dont do this or that, it jus means theres no guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a further comment to make on this subject but I'm trying to cook dinner right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree there are no guarantees, but by the same token, we aren't calling for a recall of pennies for fear a kid may swallow one, which as you pointed out, Christian did, so it could happen. I am not going to hold a manufacterer responsible for the misuse of their product. If Aqua Dots were covered in radiation and the actual risk came simply from playing with the toy, that's a different story, but the idea that they should somehow be accountable for the misuse of their product is mind boggling to me. Under that argument, since Christian (and actually lots of kids) have swallowed coins, the US Mint should be forced to issue a recall on all currency not in paper form, until of course, a kid eats a dollar bill, then all currency period. But the fact of the matter is coins, like toys, aren't food and swallowing them is a misuse of them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So basically the Dots toy shouldnt have been recalled?

    And I noticed you didnt comment on my parenting skills :-p

    ReplyDelete
  21. No they shouldn't have been recalled, they were never intended to be eaten. Similarly, I wouldn't recall glue or markers simply because someone may sniff them or coins because someone may swallow them, because none of those are their intended uses. If they were making candy that made people sick, that is something else, because candy is made to be injested, toys are not made to be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dont you think that a chemical known as the date rape drug is a little more serious then sniffin glue? Dont misunderstand, I agree that parents should parent their children, but we both agree there are no guarantees as we cant sit there 24/7 with our eyes on them. And I agree that toys werent made to be placed in childrens mouth, but again there are no guarantees they wont ever place something into their mouths. Why not be safe recall the toy, fix the issue and then place it back on the shelf? Chances are good that even if they fix the chemicals involved you're still going to have children somewhere swallowing a bead, difference is the chances of it killing them are now greatly smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do I think sniffing glue, or any household product (gasoline, aerosol cans, correction fluid, nail polish, etc. is less serious that the date rape drug? No, but for a list of fine results to sniffing, lets go to the map shall we.....

    Adverse Effects of Inhalants

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Cardiovascular effects
    Dysrhythmias
    Hypoxia-induced heart block
    Myocardial fibrosis
    Sudden sniffing death syndrome
    Dermatologic effects
    Burns
    Contact dermatitis
    Perioral eczema
    Gastrointestinal effects
    Hepatotoxicity
    Nausea or vomiting
    Hematologic effects
    Aplastic anemia
    Bone marrow suppression
    Leukemia Neurologic effects
    Ataxia
    Cerebellar degeneration
    Change in speech
    Nystagmus
    Peripheral neuropathy
    Sensorimotor polyneuropathy
    Tremor
    White matter degeneration
    Neuropsychiatric effects
    Apathy
    Dementia
    Depression
    Insomnia
    Memory loss
    Poor attention
    Psychosis Pulmonary effects
    Cough or wheezing
    Dyspnea
    Emphysema
    Goodpasture's syndrome
    Pneumonitis
    Renal effects
    Acid-base disturbance
    Acute renal failure
    Fanconi's syndrome
    Renal tubular acidosis

    These all would strike me as pretty serious outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lets not lose sight of who is at the most risk in this case...small children. Whats more likely to happen, them thinking that a small bead is candy or saying look at that glue bottle, think I'll sit here and sniff it for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been