Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 110 - Escape from NY

Zombie Jesus Day finds me sitting in the park and watching kids run around on the playground.  The air is comfortable, not too warm or too cold and I am here fully prepared for my park experience, which consists of my iPad for blogging, a book for reading, a half gallon of iced tea for drinking and cigarettes for smoking.   That really should cover just about everything.

The last 24 hours or so have been the best 24 hours I have had in a long time.  Ever since that trip to do laundry yesterday and running into George work has taken a back seat in my mind to just going out and living.  Even though Dee sat next to me at the hockey game last night, work didn't come up much as a topic of conversation.  I am sure part of the reason was that after the first period her and her boyfriend Bill got up and left.  Whether they left because they thought the Penguins would win at that point (they were leading 3-1 and significantly outplaying Columbus to that point) or they wanted to go talk to other friends in the building or they just didn't want to sit by me I really don't know, nor am I all that concerned with their reasoning.

I suppose I could be upset about the outcome of the game, the Pens lost 4-3 in double overtime, but I wasn't simply because my mind wasn't thinking about what needed done the next day or on Monday, or trying to fix the next work related crisis that popped up, instead I was just watching a sport that I enjoy and wasn't interrupted by life in general.

Instead I found myself fascinated by the girl sitting three seats over from me now that the two seats between us were no longer occupied.  Trying to describe her would be hard, because I do not have the requisite vocabulary needed to best put my thoughts to paper.  It is much like when a word is brought up in a foreign language but there is no English counterpart so the result is some half assed description of what the word almost means in English.   To say this girl was cute would be an understatement, but the same token she certainly wouldn't have been what anyone would describe as hot either.  It was just more the way the whole package came together with her, the almond shaped eyes, the short dark hair, the small roundish face with everything in proportion.  I kept thinking to myself if only I was 20 years younger maybe I would try to strike up a conversation with her, but I know what I was like 20 years ago around women, I would have been far too shy.  Instead showing my interest would have been some long drawn out process for which the time span of a single hockey game, even one that went two overtones, would have been far too short a time frame.

Between fleeting glances at her I spent time just daydreaming, wishing that I wasn't two months from being 45 years old (still time to buy birthday presents for those so inclined) and thinking of times and places where the pressures and aggravation so of the present just didn't exist.  When the final horn sounded and the game was over I was more sad about getting up and leaving than I was about Pittsburgh losing.

I managed to get home around midnight, thankfully I had blogged earlier in the day or I would have missed Saturday's entry altogether.  I stayed up way too late after I got home, I had some things I wanted to check online, including some issues with this page and the people that had been stopping by recently.  After that I caught up on a few things on Hulu that I had missed the last couple of days and I ended up falling asleep somewhere around 4:30am.  I woke up a couple of times and was just laying around at 9am when my phone rang, it was my mom calling to say they were getting ready to leave and come see me.  Apparently they had left a message the night before but I was out at the game and didn't check my messages when I got home.  I threw some clothes on, they live an hour away and when they say they are getting ready to leave that process can take an hour or so also, so I had some time.  I did some cleaning in my apartment, went to the corner store and got a coffee to get myself somewhat alert and functional.

They showed up around 12 or so, my mom had went and made me an Easter basket again this year and we all ended up going to Golden Corral for lunch, or as I call in in my Star Trek geekiness, the SmorgasBorg, where the food will be assimilated.  I was just happy to once again be out and about and spending time with my family, which I really should do more of, in moderate doses in can be very therapeutic for me.  Extended doses are another matter that need not be addressed here.

I assimilated a beef filet, some chicken, green beans, chili, potatoes and banana pudding and when we left I felt that while I did not have all if the knowledge of the food pyramid, I had consumed enough of it that the United Federation of Food Sources would have no chance in a space battle.

When I got home I investigated my basket, there was the holiday card with money in it (a standard mom thing), too much candy for me to ever eat and a toy Cadbury bunny that when you press it's belly it clucks like a chicken.  Sometimes my mom just gets me, because people that know me know that I often refer back to the old Cadbury commercial when talking and say "Thanks Easter Bunny, bwack, bwack!"

Now I am sitting here, enjoying what I would call some of the last few hours of freedom and daylight before once again going back to the grind Monday morning.  I am finding that my level of happiness (or lack thereof) is tied into my presence or absence from work.  In science they would call this a direct correlation, I just call it truth.  So I am going to take in some more of my book, smoke another cigarette and call it a day if that is may with everyone.  If not, call me, maybe I will check my messages this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been