Saturday, August 22, 2015

B365V2.88 - 1980 revisited

Time to pack up Peabody and Sherman kids and once again revisit the Wayback Machine for a blogging story I have never told, at least up until this point.

The year:1980 The place: A little town called Elderton, located almost halfway between Kittanning and Indiana PA.

Other things from 1980: John Lennon is shot and killed, Ronald Reagan is elected president, TV viewers were stuck with the mystery of who shot JR Ewing on Dallas, movies to come out included Friday the 13th, Blue Lagoon, Airplane!, Raging Bull and The Empire Strikes Back.

So why the focus on 1980 you may as? Well yours truly also did something that year (I keep telling you all I am old) as I passed a note to Lynn Meyer who sat diagonally from me (Carol Finelli would say catawampus, insider radio joke there kids) in Miss Elgin's 6th grade class. For some reason that note has been stuck in my head verbatim since I was a kid, probably because I thought so much about what I was going to write. The note, in my best 6th grade voice, went something like this........

“I love you with all my heart. Well time to get to the point. I want to know if you will go with me? Yes No P.S. Take all the time you need to decide.”

The note made its way back to me, probably because we didn't use the US Postal Service, and she circled yes. Yes boys and girls it was my first ever girlfriend, or what passes for a girlfriend in 6th grade. I still recall being so nervous passing the note to her. Obviously I had no courage whatsoever because I didn't just ask her and instead put it in note form.

Not that we ever did anything, we didn't go on dates or spend time together outside of school, much like many of your relationships today I might add, but I would walk her to her bus every day after school, holding hands and what not. She rocked a mole on her cheek, way before Cindy Crawford made such an item cool, and on one of our walks to her bus I stopped her for a second and said, “I think there is something on your face” then I slyly kissed her cheek. My first ever kiss in a relationship. Damn did I have moves back then or what?

What brings this all up you may ask? Well I went to check Facebook on my phone after leaving the park tonight and I saw that today is Lynn's birthday. Not all of my relationships ended disastrously, just most of them. Seeing her name on there just brought back a rush of memories and put a smile back on my face.

I now return you to your present day lives, already in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been