Sunday, March 23, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 82 - Meh

     I really can't put my finger on today, it was just kind of there.  I woke up later than normal, it was almost 9am by the time I decided to move around a bit and near 11am before I decided if I wanted to do anything with today at all.  Eventually I talked myself into going over to the Strip District again, maybe a trip to Kelly O's would cure what seemed to be ailing me. 

     So I pack up my things (I take my pack back everywhere, even when I am not carrying much), a book and my iPad so I could either read or write depending on my mood.  Out the door I went and up the street to get ye olde gas station coffee.  My coffee card was full, so this one was free.  It was full in part because the people at the gas station have been giving me extra punches on the card, usually it is if you buy 7 coffees the 8th one is free, but for me it has been like 4 or 5 until I get a free one.  Often I get them cheaper too, I buy large coffees but am sometimes charged for mediums.  Maybe this is because the cards were missing for a month or so and they are just trying to make up for the coffees I bought and didn't get credit, maybe it is because they are cool and I am a relative nice guy who has become a daily customer, who knows.  Allk I know is I go in expecting to pay full price and anything that happens after that is gravy.

     I get my coffee and head up to the bus stop and today was one of those days that, pardon my language, could best be described as a seasonal cock tease.  The sun was out as sort of the promise of spring, but it was still cold enough to have that winter isn't done fucking with you yet feel.  I get on the bus after a wait that was long enough that I started to feel cold, and decide I will read on the way over to Kelly O's, so I reach into my bag and pull out the book I brought with me.  The book itself should have been good, it was a Robert Parker book aft4er all from his Spenser series, but as I started reading it I was coming to the conclusion that I probably have already read this one.  I bought it off of Amazon on one of my last orders because they offer free shipping on orders over $35 (it used to be $25 but oh well) and I was close enough that it was probably cheaper for me to add the cost of a paperback book and get the free shipping than to leave it off of the order and have to pay for shipping.  So I threw the Spenser book on at the last moment, but the thing with the Spenser series is, while I like them, I was late to the party so I never read them in any sort of chronological order so now I find myself going back into the series trying to find books I missed to fill in the gaps of the larger storyline.  When I bought this one I thought I hadn't read it before but as I was getting involved in it on the bus I was coming to the firm conclusion that in fact I had.   So I read half  heartedly, enough that I could turn the pages but I wasn't really paying that much attention to what I read.

     I got over to the Strip somewhere around noon and made my way to Kelly O's.  Because it was so late I wasn't really in a breakfasty kind of mood so I opted for the hot meatloaf sandwich with fries and gravy and a cup of chili.  The chili was good, topped with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese.  The meatloaf sandwich was okay.  It was seasoned properly and all that, just not warm enough.  It wasn't stone cold or anything, just was in that luke warmish phase where it seemed like they probably had it premade and just threw it in the microwave to warm it up a little.  Thankfully my new favorite waitress was there an taking care of me, I don't really know her name, just that if I had to guess would say she is probably a little younger than me, I would peg her as mid 30ish, short with long straight blond hair and very attentive to me, which I do take notice of me when there are far bigger tables to wait on that a person flying solo and sitting at the counter.  So I ate my lunch, brunch or whatever you would call this trip, tipped relatively generously (like 33% or so, but who does that math anyway?) and left to walk about the Strip for a bit. 

     I remembered that I still had Italian sausages in my freezer from my last trip to Scratch n Dent so I wanted to get some sausage rolls which meant a trip to Mancini's bakery.  Just walking in the door it smelled so good inside and out, as they had a cart on the sidewalk selling pizza rolls right by the door, and once inside all of the baked bread goodness was filling my nostrils, enough so that not only did I get a package of sausage rolls, but a loaf of cracked pepper, tomato and basil bread too.  It had just come out of the oven so the bread was still warm when they bagged it and handed it to me.  Not sure if they expected a McDonald's hot coffee style lawsuit or not, but they did give me a warning to be careful because it was still hot. 

      I left and made my way to Scratch n Dent next, I had an idea for the sausage sandwiches I wanted to make and they have produce out front.  Now their produce isn't great, it is not supermarket quality, usually anything you buy there in produce you have to use within a day or two or it will go bad.  I didn't need much, just peppers and onions for the sauce for the sandwiches.  I could have bought a whole basket of green peppers for like $3, but I really didn't need that many, so I just picked out one orange pepper and one Spanish onion and then went inside where I decided to buy more frozen sausages, and well as some other snackable things.  I probably spent $20 on things from burgers and sausages to toilet paper (Angel Soft 4pks were .99, but I shop like that).

     I caught a bus back to Oakland after shopping, thankfully my wait was much shorter this time, 5 minutes tops and I was home around 3 ish I guess and ever since then I have just been laying around.  Well from 3pm-9pm anyway when I decided to get up and cook things, anything to just shake the funk I am in.  Maybe I am just over tired, by the end of my shift at work yesterday I had logged 115 hours in two weeks. I have at least another week of this crazy style nonsense to contend with as well, after that I do not know, things could get better, worse or stay exactly the same.  Anyway the timer just went off on my oven, time to be Matty homemaker and pull the pumpkin pie from the oven.  It is smelling like Thanksgiving in my apartment, but it tastes like chicken.  Just kidding.  I am off before I set fire to this place.  Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been