Sunday, March 9, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 68 - Finally

     Yes, after working for the last 20 days in a row I finally took a day off.  Technically my phone did ring regarding work today, something about one of the registers not working again, if it is the same problem as last Sunday then I already know how to fix it, but before I do that I am going to look at the cameras in the store just to see what is going on when I am not there.  If I believe the incident merits it, I will burn the footage to DVD and ship it off to Ed to let hm deal with it.  I have just reached a breaking point with some people who seem to believe that the job is more of a social occasion than a reason to actually work. 



     As for me, I just relaxed most of the day.  The sun was shining and while it wasn't particularly warm, I still popped on a pair of shorts and went over to the park for an hour or so and just sat on m favorite bench reading.  It has been far too long since I have been able to do that, and with me just about finished with my one book I wanted to finally just put a wrap on it and move to the next.  It should be hanging out on the shelf to the right for anyone who is interested.  I will not do a review of it because 1) I am not much of a reviewer and 2) I wouldn't want what I think of any book to affect someone else's opinion of the same work, so all  will say is that I enjoyed it and move on to he next one, simple as that. 

     I did see my friend Connie this morning, I was in the Italian store on the corner, buying some meatballs and frozen chicken breasts to use for food stuffs for the next few days and while I was in the store she came in.  She had been working at the gas station on the corner where I get my coffee every morning for what seems like years, but I hadn't seen her there in probably three weeks now.  At first I thought maybe something had happened to her, and while I would consider her a friend from hanging out in a couple of local watering holes together we aren't so close that we know where the other lives, so when I didn't see her in weeks I had no idea what had become of her.  Seeing her today was a relief in that regard, so I asked her what had happened since I hadn't seen her in a while.  Honestly part of me was thinking that if she had been let go because of a loss of hours or her shift had changed to something other than mornings, perhaps I could talk her into coming to work for us, much of what we do is the same thing, certainly the sales and lottery portion of it, we just don't have gas pumps to worry about.  Then she told me she was fired because one of the girls there "set her up" and my thoughts quickly dissipated and I was reminded why I do not like hiring friends and family.  Last thing I need to do is give a job recommendation for someone who was let go with cause only to possibly visit the same problems on us.  At work we are short handed right now, but I do not want to trade one problem for another one. 

     I should get back to the kitchen.  I am being about as domestic as I can be, brewing myself a gallon of iced tea so I have stuff to drink in my fridge besides Red Stripe.  Than I think it is off to bed for me, hopefully tomorrow will not bring a string of 20 more days in a row.  I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been