Saturday, March 1, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 60 - Onto other stupid things

     This blog ties in somewhat to what I was writing about the other day when talking about The Weather Channel, that being stupid things.  Rather than lambast TWC again however, this is one of those stupid things that I have been hearing at work for the last few months until finally I just started snapping at people.

      The phrase in question, the one that I keep hearing is "that is so unlike him/her".  We had one person a couple of months back show up for work, and then proceed to make repeated trips to the bathroom where she kept a bottle of alcohol for herself and basically got drunk on the job.  Not content to do it once however, about a month later she showed up for work and proceeded to pass out in the stockroom and had to have her parents come and drag her out.  This past week we had someone just not show up, no call, no show, no anything and it wasn't until later that we found out she just up and left and went back home to Youngstown, Ohio.  Events like these happen, as well as others things (I am just pointing out the two that most recently come to mind) and I hear from some of the people  that I work with "that was so unlike him/her".

      The phrase is annoying on its face, because if it was indeed so unlike the person in question, well, then they wouldn't have done it in the first place.  I have now taken to saying, "You are wrong, it was exactly like them, otherwise they wouldn't have been the one to do it."  As I have written about in this space before, I am not much of a "why" person, I don't need to know why things happen, I just need to realize that they have happened and react accordingly.  Answering the question why is akin to making excuses for the behavior in question.

       I'll admit my place of employment is not the best place on earth to work, and most of the people that come through the door are not looking to make it a career but as a waypoint on their life's journey onto bigger and better things but for the time being they could be doing far worse than working there.  In my 5+ years at my job I would be hard pressed to say that Ed has said no to an employee more than a handful of times when it comes to them asking him for favors, whether it be getting specific days off, getting advances on their paycheck, getting paid for their vacation time before they actually take their vacation, etc., the favors that he does for his employees are numerous to say the least, and yet I am just constantly seeing his good nature being taken advantage of.  He and I have talked about this in the past, but little has actually come of it, he still wants to believe in the good naturedness of most people, I just want to judge them based on their actions and how they treat the job they have, because most places wouldn't put up with the shit Ed puts up with.

     As I write this I am aware of the fact that many current and past coworkers could stumble across this entry, after all I am connected to many of them on Facebook and I do cross promote most of my postings on there and Google+ (does anyone really use that?) and after reading the above paragraphs the thought that may cross their minds is, "I cant believe he would do this".  Guess what?  That's exactly the way I am too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been