Sunday, March 16, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 75 - Me day

    Yes, I had a me day today.  It's silly when you think about it, I am single, live alone, don't really go out with friends all that much, don't get visitors and yet I still have me days.  Of course I also work 6 days a week, and much of my supposed free time is spent at home in case there is trouble in either of our stores, so actually getting out and turning off the computer is always a nice exercise in escapism.  This weekend definitely called for a little escapism too.

     When I went to sleep last night my body was just pretty much exhausted, between doubles on Thursday and Friday and another 10 hour day on Saturday because of the parade I was spent.  I did meet Sammy early Saturday morning and we did go to breakfast at Kelly O's again, I got what can best be described as a ginormous breakfast burrito, but what I saw on the way out the door made my plans for today.  As we were walking out I noticed the specials board, it was something I had never noticed in there before, I just figured what was on the menu was what they had, not that the menu is bad mind you, it's quite good actually but the board caught my eye.   "Pittsburgh Brunch" was what one of the items was called, it's two eggs, kielbasa and pierogis.  Right then and there I knew what I was doing on Sunday.

     The parade yesterday was warm enough, the temperature was in the high 40s to low 50s and pretty sunny, so I figured when I got up for breakfast today I would wear shorts.  Just go and be comfy, eat some breakfast and lounge around the Strip District for a while.  I wake up around 8am and as usually happens on my day off I am hard to get motivated.  I kept thinking about breakfast, but then I would talk myself out of it, then talk myself back into it again, so it was probably after 10am when I finally left the apartment, only to have more hesitations because it was not nearly as warm as yesterday, it wasn't even 30 degrees out and here I am in shorts.  I stopped and started a few times, debating on going to the bus stop or just going home and not going out at all, but I figured if I made it to the gas station and got a coffee in me I would be fine.  And I was, I was chilled mind you, but fine. 

     I get to the bus stop and wait for a bit, thankfully I had my book with me so I read while I waited and then read on the bus ride there (it takes about 20 minutes or so) and got to Kelly O's some time after 11am.  Of course there was a line and I didn't even care, I was in no hurry to be anywhere.  The wait wasn't too long, maybe 15 minutes or so, before I got a seat at the counter and settled in for some eats.  My waitress was awesome and cute, a deadly combination for a single guy like me.  I tried to keep from gawking too much but I doubt I was all that successful.   Breakfast was as good as I imagined it would be when I saw it on the menu the day before, but there was still a line of people trying to get in so I didn't want to hog a seat for too long. 

      I ducked out after paying my tab and finishing my second cup of coffee there and walked around the Strip for a while.  Since our parade was Saturday, everyone had their St Patrick's Day stuff at half off, so I actually picked up an official St Patrick's Day parade sweatshirt for $10 (yes, they apparently had licensed apparel printed up) and then went over to Scratch N Dent grocery, where as part of my $20 extravaganza I got 2 packages of Italian sausages, 1 pack of Tyson chicken patties, 1 box of prepackaged burgers (with cheese and bacon in them), 1 frozen deep dish pumpkin pie, tomato sauce (for the sausages, I have plans, glorious plans), peanut butter, potato chips (snack em if you got em) and a couple other odds and ends. 

      The trip back to my apartment was longer and colder, I waited at the bus stop for almost an hour (still in shorts mind you, I didn't take them off or anything because they kick you out of stores for that type of thing) and got back to Oakland a little after 2pm.  On the walk back to my apartment I was going to splurge and buy a $30 scratch off ticket, but after I put two $20s in the machine I went to the scratch off ticket screen (it is a touch screen terminal) and their were no more $30 tickets, so I opted for a $20 ticket, a $10 ticket and 2 $5 tickets.  The $10 was a loser, but I won $10 on a five, $25 on the other $5 and $40 on the twenty, so the afternoon practically paid for itself right there, $40 bucks in and $75 out basically paid for my groceries and the sweatshirt.

     The rest of the day I have sat around vegetating, so now I should go make something to eat, breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but that was 11 hours ago and I should eat something else before calling it a day.  So I am going to go get my Julia Child on in the kitchen and call this a wrap.  Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been