Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 63 - Sympathy for the cause

     I am not a big protest guy. Not that I have anything against protests or rallies in general, depending on the cause behind it, sometimes I find myself agreeing with those in attendance.  So it was interesting on Monday that there was a rally/protest in downtown Pittsburgh for the workers at UPMC.  I am not sure entirely what all they were protesting, but from what I could gather they wanted healthcare from their employer and the right to unionize.  All of that is well and good.

     I did not attend the protest, but like many workers downtown I ran into it anyway.  After stopping by Gus Miller's in the morning I was in the process of making my way into town, a trip that usually takes between 10-15 minutes on the bus.  On Monday it took an hour, and that was with me getting off of the bus before ever getting into downtown and just walking the rest of the way.

     Being in management at my place of employment and the fact that technically I had reported for work as soon as I stepped in the door at Gus Miller's I was on the safe side as it were when it came to my bus ride/walk taking an hour to get into town, but I couldn't help but wonder about others who weren't so lucky.  People who work jobs in retail or the service sector, usually for little more than minimum wage and for whom their job is a necessity now being impeded from reaching their destination or reaching their destination significantly later than they were supposed to because people who do not work downtown were keeping them from doing so, all so we be told about how the workers at UPMC were being mistreated. 

     So let me be the one to say to the workers at UPMC, if you want people to respect you for the work you do, perhaps next time you might show a little respect for those people who are trying to do theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been