Thursday, March 13, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 72 - One down, two to go

Today was the first of three very long days for me, two days where I work back to back 13 hour shifts, followed by Saturday when I have to work the St Patrick's Day parade.  All in all I was okay, my legs didn't get tired from standing until late in the day, by starting earlier than usual I managed to get most of my work done at Smithfield way ahead of schedule and  don't think I had any major screwups today while working the register, though I guess I will know more on that when I do the numbers tomorrow morning.  The two thirteen hour shifts are two part shifts, I go and get the paperwork at Gus Millers in the morning, then go to Smithfield to do the books and all of my work that needs done there.  By 1pm I have to be out of Smithfiled because I then pull an evening shift behind the counter back at Gus Miller's.

Saturday will be a different animal, technically it isn't a double though I have no idea how long that shift will actually be.  Instead it is because the St Patrick's Day parade is taking place in downtown Pittsburgh that day, and the parade route once again runs right in front of our store.  The parade itself is one of the longest St Patrick's Day parades in the world, usually people will be marching in front of the store for anywhere between 3 and 4 hours before it finally ends.  The crowd outside is usually at least 8 rows deep along the entire parade route and is filled with what can best be described as drunken idiots.  Seeing people get into fights and being drug off by their friends because they are to drunk to stand is just par for the course.  The parade will start at 10 am, people will start tailgating for it around 6am. 

For my part I will be working with Sammy part of the day, just trying to keep everything stocked and in running order, while constantly telling people that, no, we do not have public restrooms.  After the parade I then get to start on all of the things I usually do on Saturday, so it will make for a long day no matter how you slice it.

Anyway, I am not going to ramble on about what is coming, instead I will just turn in now.  My body is tired so I am going to get to bed early and do this all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been