Monday, January 13, 2014

Blogger 365 Day13 - Fixing things

   Today was one of those days at work where everything just seemed to be falling apart at work, and I spent more time trying to fix stuff than actually get any real work done.

     First was an issue that had happened on Saturday, we received a grocery order a day late because of the weather last week so rather than me order Thursday for Friday I was ordering Friday for Saturday.  Because with my new found title I am not on the foor as much, I was walking around seeing what items we needed to order, and I got to one of our coolers where we have hot dogs and stuff.  I see that in that cooler we have three packages of bratwursts (jalapeno and cheese brats to be precise) but the sell by date on them is 9/17/13.  Now I could have sworn I have ordered them more recently then say, last July or August, which is when they would have had to have been ordered for that sell by date, but I thought maybe it was an issue with us, so I pulled he old one and ordered replacement packages.  Well the replacements came in on Saturday and sure enough the sell by date on them was 9/17/13, so our grocery provider has been shipping out out of date meat for who knows how long now, so getting credit for those was the first thing I had to deal with today.

     I say first thing, which is not really true, it was the first thing on top of the normal list of things I have to do on a normal Monday, which involves all of the sales and paperwork from the weekend.  Next we did get a delivery today as well, usually our Monday deliveries consist of anything that I have ordered on Saturday, plus any specials or promotions we may have signed up for previously.  Well I knew already that the ist of promotions was going to be big, the booking sheet was over a page long, but I didn't realize what all Ed had bought, had I I would have put a stop to it long before it ever got to the store, because he, for some reason, bought 40 cases of cigarette tubes, with 50 boxes in each case.  Don't get me wrong, we do a very good business in tobacco products, but not nearly good enough to have 2000 boxes of cigarette tubes laying around the basement.  And for all of the talk of how I am supposed to be keeping the ordering down and in check because business is slow, that right there would constitute about $4300 worth of tobacco nonsense.  So back to the phones I go to see if I can get them to take this stuff back as well.  Since this wasn't an error on their part, Ed scheduled this to come in, I do not know if they will take it back or not, if not then everyone in my family may be getting cigarette tubes next year for Christmas, because we will still have them in December.    I have already lived through the $11,000 Easter candy incident, I know how this plays out

     The Easter Candy Incident (thanks Weather Channel, buy toilet paper, do it now!) was another of Ed's ideas, because our grocery provider got stuck with extra Easter candy one year, $11,000 to be precise and in order to dump it off they sold it to Ed for $1000.  That would seem to be a good deal right?  Well, the ability to sell the candy was hurt somewhat by the fact that they delivered it the Friday before Easter.  I am not lying when I say we were still selling Cadbury Eggs in December for .10 a piece just to get rid of them.  We literally had two sections in the basement that were walls of candy, just boxes upon boxes that went from the floor up to the ceiling.

     Problem number three I had started working on last week and finished today, that being fixing the schedule at Gus Millers, because the person who was running the store on Saturdays told Dee and I that she really didn't want to work weekend, and I am sorry, but if you tell me you don't want to work, I'll replace you with someone who does.  So I did some finessing of the schedule and asked around and today manage to nail down Saturdays so that the person that doesn't want to be there is in fact, no longer there. Score one for me.  Of course I no more than solved that scheduling problem then I got another one today, a couple of people have just been butting heads too much and we will be better off separating them, so it is back to the drawing board as to how to make that schedule work.  To make it a little more challenging, my head manager at that store will be taking time off for dental surgery, so I may be looking to fill even more holes in that schedule before all is said and done.  Hopefully he will only be out a day or so and it will not be much of an issue, I will learn more about that tomorrow.  (Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day away.)

    Number #4 occurred when I took the Gus Miller deposits to the bank today.  The numbers all added up which is good, but as they were verifying my deposit amounts, the computer system at the bank decide now would be a great time for a system wide failure.  Tellers couldn't log in or look up account information, it was like a bad episode of Star Trek, I was waiting for Tribbles to pop up from behind the counter.

     I am starting to agree with the Boomtown Rats, I don't like Mondays.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been