Thursday, January 2, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 2 - Not sleeping the deep sleep

Still feeling the effects of my trip home this past weekend. I mentioned that I worked on Christmas day, as a result I did my grocery order on Friday last week as opposed to my normal Saturday order day, so I might be able to sneak in a few days at home with the family. I left Pittsburgh Friday evening when they came to meet me, and got back here Sunday evening, but the thing about going home is that it almost always messes with my sleeping schedule, which is bad to begin with.


Usually when I am at home I will just sleep on the couch in the living room, but since nobody there is currently working, my mom left the workforce a few years back now and her husband has been in and out of a couple of jobs since his brain aneurysm, there is no actual sleeping routine there at all. It is like somebody is always awake, and while I can sleep through most things, I did still have a couple of gifts that I had to wrap and I couldn't do it with the recipients of the gifts constantly creeping around. So I ended up getting to bed around 3am or so Saturday morning, but then my normal Pittsburgh clock kicked in, so I was up just a couple of hours after that.

I had resigned myself to the fact that any sleep I would miss out on over the weekend I could make up for when I got back to Pittsburgh on Sunday night. Just get to bed early I thought to myself, so when I did get back into my humble apartment I went and unpacked pretty quickly, then went to check my phone messages before thinking I would call it an early night. Fat chance there Matt.

One of my messages was from Ed, so I figured I better call him back. I call around 7pm, I get his voice mail. No big thing, he sometimes doesn't hear his phone and sometimes he is just busy with something else, I figure he will call me back pretty quickly if it was that important. An hour passes and still no call, so I call again and again I get his voicemail. I am not necessarily worried but I am thinking I hope he returns my call soon because I want to get to bed pretty soon so I am all bright eyed and bushy tailed rather than coming back to feel like I need a vacation from my vacation (if you call two days in a row off an actual vacation).

Ed calls me back around 8:30pm, apparently Saturday one of our employees either went to work drunk or got drunk at work because she passed out in the stockroom above Gus Millers and her parents had to come and carry her out of the store. Needless to say, that qualifies for an immediate termination, but that also means there are now holes in the schedule that need filled, shifts she was supposed to work that now will be unaccounted for. Better still, Ed suggests to me that he wants to bring back a former employee since we are now short staffed, an employee that I have had issues with in the past because of consistent register shortages on her part. So now not only to I have to mentally work out in my head how we are going to approach fixing the schedule, I have to also talk Ed out of making what to me would be a monumental mistake, and start putting together a list of people to interview in hopes we can hire some new (and better) people. So much for resting.

Monday and Tuesday then became days where not only did I do my normal job, but I also was scheduling and interview prospective employees. And Wednesday, because of us being short staffed and people wanting off for the holidays, you can already guess whose name it was that was pulled to run the store this morning.

So my sleep schedule has turned into me napping for a few hours after coming home from work and eating, but then I find myself awake half the night, only to fall back asleep about two hours before I have to be up for work again. On the bright side, we have hired two new people so far, they are both single, with no jobs or kids and are available for any shift at either of our locations and so far they have done a very well in the short time they have been with us, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I could use a little luck at this point. Well that and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been