Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 21 - Birfday Tard

   It would seem the First Lady of the United States turned 50 years old the other day.  This is something that would not be a date on my social calendar, nor would I even know about it, save for the fact I was sent an email by John Carlson, the Executive Director for Organizing for Action.  I have no idea just who or what Organizing for Action is, other than a political fundraising mechanism for the Democratic Party.  I think I got on their mailing list a while back when I signed up for some stupid online contest where you pitted your NCAA tournament bracket against the one submitted by the President f the United States.  I don't even think there were prizes offered, it was just a thing where you could see if on this particular topic (college basketball), you might be smarter than the leader of the free world.  Now I doubt Barack Obama sits down and fills one of these things out, this looks like on eof those tasks he would probably farm out to someone, just as the coaches college polls are very rarely actually submitted by coaches themselves.



     Ever since I signed up a while back though, I have gotten inundated with emails from Organizing for Action.  Now leading up to a Presidential election I can almost understand, it is another way to raise money in hopes of winning an election.  But after the President has been reelected, I don't see the need for these things to continue.  Yet here I was checking my email the other day when I received one asking me to sign a birthday card for the First Lady.  Excuse me, but when exactly have the Obama's penciled my birthday onto their calendars?  I do not recall a birthday card last year, or exchanging Christmas cards with the First family during the most recent holiday season, or any holiday season for that matter.  We just aren't that close, nor do we hang around the same circles.  Yet here I was being asked to sign a card for Mrs. Obama, as if my signature (or electronic signature) was wanted, needed or required. 

     On the bottom of the email was a little box that said "Paid For by Organizing for Action".  Just out of curiosity, how much does an email cost?  Not sure I have paid for one in my entire lifetime, maybe emails are like the library and some day there will be a knock on my door and someone will be here to collect overdue email fees.  If the mob ran the internet then my kneecaps could be in danger in such a scenario.

     The last line of the email though, "Contributions to Organizing for Action are not tax deductible." seemed a little out of place.  After all, did they really want me to wish the First Lady a happy birthday, or were they just looking for another way to raise money.  If so, what other Obama family events can I expect a fundraising email for, perhaps when they paper train the dog ("Sunny peed on the newspaper today!  Send money now!!!!).   Thanks but no thanks, some things in life don't need to be fundraising events.  If they did, well then I am getting ready to go to bed.  Send money, send money now!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been