Friday, October 26, 2007

Originally appeared on 10/9/05

Just stuff

     Well, that was quite a week, mostly good, but some bad all thrown together.  Let's deal with the bad first.

 

     The Penguins got off to a bad start to the NHL season, going 0-1-2, including a shootout loss on Friday to Carolina where they couldn't convert any of their penalty shots, and a 7-6 loss to Boston yesterday in the home opener.  You would like to think if you score 6 goals you might win, but the defense and goaltending look like they have the very good potential to ruin any playoff hopes this franchise may have this season.

     I missed the WXXP reunion shows this weekend because of work.  For those of you that don't know, and I am sure there are many, WXXP was the alternative station in Pittsburgh, back before alternative music turned into a bunch of crap rockers that all sound the same, in that  regard sharing quite a bit with rap actually.  The station itself lasted only two years, from 1986-88, but during those years ity was the only radio station I would listen to, and apparently I wasn't the only one, as they had enough interest to have reunion shows this weekend, including bringing back all of the old DJs, some of which still work in this market, others went elsewhere but came back for the show.  The show also brought back many of the local bands that were popular at that time, and actually received regular rotation in the playlist, something many radio stations just don't do with local artists.  My work schedule prevented me from attending either the Friday or Saturday show, though I did see T-shirts on the web and I may end up ordering one.

 

     And that kids, is as bad as it gets here, the rest is all good.  I am already rambled on about my money won in the fantasy baseball, so I won't repeat myself in that regard.  My worry over pogo badges this week seems unfounded, as I have two already and well on my way to the third.  For those of you that don't know what pogo badges are, more can be found here ( www.pogo.com ) and anyone wishing to try it, I do have a few guest passes saved up that I can email (3), but those are on a first come first serve basis.

     I am officially the employee of the month here at the radio station.  It only took me 9 years and two months to win it for the first time, which ends my Cal Ripken like streak I had going for me.   For being employee of the month, I get all of the following booty, the parking spot closest to the building (which is of no use since I take the bus to work), a vacation day (which may or may not be of use, since I still have better than two weeks of vacation time left this year, and I lose it all at the end of the year if I don't use it), a $50 dollar gift certificate to a local restaurant (I chose Rock Bottom) and a $100 bonus to my next paycheck (and who can't use that).   Now I just have to hold out for another 9 years to get it again.

      As bad as the Pens have been record wise, the pick of Sidney Crosby looks to be the real deal.  Watching some of the game Friday, it was clear, that at 19 years old, he was the best player on the ice.  In a town that has seen Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr play in their primes, this kids looks to be of the same mold.  The pass he threw to Ziggy Pallfy to tie the game Friday was a thing of beauty.  For the season he has 1G and 3A in 3 games, not too shabby for a rookie.

     Hate to cut this short, but it is time to work again.  I am looking forward to tomorrow's show, we have AJ Jacobs on.  He is an editor of Esquire Magazine and the person who read the Encyclopedia Brittanica from cover to cover, then wrote a book about it.  The book is way funny, and I am geeked for him to be on the morning show.  That will be at 10am EST for those of you tuning in via web ( www.1360wptt.com ).  Okay, I really have to run this time.    Never fry bacon when you're naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been