Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Back to the future, Monday's blog on Tuesday

I believe it was an episode of Star Trek:TNG in which Picard was taken captive and about to be tortured when the famous line was uttered "Prepare for the insertion of the instrument of obedience." Put aside the sexual connotations that can go with that sentence for just a second and it pretty much sums up the week for me in fantasy sports. On the bright side, I did start the hockey season with a respectable 6-3-1 effort due in large part to Paul Statsny, who had 4 goals and 4 assists this week. I did okay in the office outing as well, with tonights game being the last one for the week, I am currently 11-2 on picking games. A week after I write myself out entirely I come up with an effort like that. On the flip side of the coin, I have already lost in fantasy football in the bar league, dropping my record to 2-3 and in yahoo, I still have two guys going tonight, but it looks like the 72 Dolphins will be popping the champagne as the last undefeated team during an NFL season, I trail by a wide margin 81-30. Well as it turns out, Dallas helped me a little bit, I managed to add to the office pool and go 12-2 for the week, and both Jason Witten and Patrick Crayton scored for me, so I managed to soothe the asskicking I took a little, losing by an 81-59 count.

That having been gotten out of the way, it was a good sports weekend. The Steelers absolutely dominated Seattle on Sunday, far more so than the 21-0 score would indicate, holding the ball for over 40 minutes of the 60 minute contest. The backbreaking moment had to be the first drive of the second half. With the Steelers leading just 7-0, they took the opening drive of the third quarter and held the ball for over 10 minutes, running 18 plays and scoring a touchdown to make it 14-0. Anyone who is familiar with the weather here knows how draining that drive was, as the temps were near 90 degrees and the humidity hanging in around 50%. It was very summer like, which is odd considering we are well into fall now.

The Penguins season got underway Friday night, a season opening 4-1 at Carolina, followed by a 6-5 win at home against the defending Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks. I'll take a 1-1 start to the season, it is certainly better than 0-2 and there are high expectations for the Pens this year. Wednesday night they have the Montreal Canadians. I don't know if I will watch the game or not, my free pass on NHL.com runs out tonight, but I noticed that yahoo is once again airing the games online as well. I caught part of a game on Saturday night via yahoo, hopefully I will have better luck with the technology this year. Last year, many times I would try to pull up a game only to get no video.

Pitt football had a bye this week, amazingly they didn't find a way to lose then as well. God are they just awful. Jim Tracy, the now former Pirates manager may have been the first coach in Pittsburgh to get fired this year, but the way the Panthers are playing, Dave Wannstedt may be a close second. As if to rub salt in the wound, Stanford upset the #2 team in the country this weekend, USC under first year head coach Jim Harbaugh. Given that this is Harbaugh's first year, many of the players there are not his recruits, but recruits that the previous head coach brought in, namely one Walt Harris. And just where did Walt coach before Pitt's three year run of futility under Dave Wannstedt? If you guessed Pittsburgh, give yourself a cookie.

The funny thing is, the week I am a Neilsen family is the week I am watching stuff on the computer instead of on TV where what I am watching is used to determine TV ratings. Since Thursday when I was asked to keep a diary of my watching habits for a week, I have watched 2 hrs on Thursday night and the football game last night, the rest of the time my TV has been off. Probably not what the networks were hoping for when the diaries were sent out.

I am not going to be on the radio this Friday night, my presence is not required which is fine with me. Last Friday didn't go as well as i would have liked. Mind you, from a strictly listener standpoint I am sure it was fine, but it was contentious for a while when Doug and I were talking about the Rush Limbaugh "phony soldiers" controversy. we took up different sides on the issue, he was defending Rush, I was not and he starts throwing left wing conspiracy at me, and stuff about Media Matters taking things out of context. I wouldn't know, I don't read Media Matters, I find them to be as much left wing nutjobs as I find NewsMax and WorldNetDaily to be right wing nut jobs. The kicker though was when he suggested that he knows better simply because he has been doing radio longer, as if I have had my head up my ass for the last 11 years and therefore couldn't put together a coherent opinion. That one stung, I will admit. I'm a big kid, though, I'll shake it off and it did make for decent radio and the show is the thing.

Friday wasn't a complete waste however, it was First Friday at the radio station and the eats were pretty good. We had some chicken romano thing, which was quite tasty, mashed potatoes and corn. There were also pork chops, but I didn't partake of any and given that they were left out after the lunch thing, they quickly went from being just pork chops to potential Trays of Trichinosis. For those in the D&D set, that would be a d20 saving throw vs poison.

I still haven't gotten around to watching the DVDs I purchased yet. Not that I have been overly busy, just haven't really gotten up the urge to sit down and watch TV for an extended period of time. But I plan on adding to the TV diary this evening, a little "Chuck" and "Heroes" will help fill out the booklet a little more than it currently is.

I haven't picked an Asshat yet, I think I need to get a definitive schedule about this whole blogging thing. I know some people designate certain days for certain topics, I need to find a good asshat day and try my best to stick to it,. Mondays would seem to make the most sense, but that would require me to show some responsibility about this whole blogging thing, and I haven't yet, so why start now?

Well, I guess I can put a wrap on this, I'll be back with more to report at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been