Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Originally appeared 9/25/05

Slowly coming together

As we get started with this thing, I am happy to add hockey news to the page.  After all, with Crosby, Lemieux, Recchi, Pallfy, and Leclair we might actually have a chance this year.  Provided we can get some defense and goaltending, questions that have not been answered yet, though the preseason is certainly grounding my optimism quite nicely, thank you.

 

Fantasy Update - Still 0-2 in two football leagues and 1-1 in the third.  Baseball shows some promise in the last week of the season as I am still in 4th place (NL league), 3rd place (AL League) and 3rd place (Mixed League).  So this is what it feels like to be in a pennant chase.  I feel like the Cleveland Indians.  Sorry, losing baseball is the norm here in Pittsburgh, sincxe we haven't won even a division title in better than a decade, so getting ramped up for the local team isn't an option, but getting geeked for my fantasy teams, that's another matter entirely.

Someone asked me once how I couldn't support the local team (Pirates)?  The answer is really quite obvious.  Professional sports have for the longest time proclaimed that they are in fact a business.  I have no problem with that, but if you approach it as a business, then you are now competing for my entertainment dollar, and watching bad baseball, football, hockey, etc. isn't all that entertaining.  It's like crticizing a movie fan for not plunking down the 9 dollars plus popcorn money to see "Ernest Goes to Camp".  Liking movies isn't enough, just like enjoying sports isn't enough.  There has to be a belief that you will be satisfied with the outcome, and when you are 13 years into your 5 year plan to rebuild a franchise, you now see why I am not a Pirates fan.

 

Well I best be going.  Football kicks off in about an hour and so far the Steelers are good this year.  Maybe they will get my entertainment dollar.  Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been