Saturday, May 17, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 137 - The cat is out of the bag

By now I am sure you have seen the video, it has been all over the internet, where a little boy is playing in his driveway and a dog comes up behind him, grabs the boy's leg in his mouth and begins to drag him when the family cat springs forth and leaps at the dog, freeing the little boy. 

I watched the video and admittedly I was fairly impressed by what the cat did. Now I am not going to try to climb into the cat's head and understanding the reasoning behind its behavior, I was just impressed by what it did. I was not impressed with the video however.

You see, the video is edited together, not in a bad way, everything fits chronologically and all, but it is obvious from watching it that more than one security camera was used and that both cameras were on the property of boy's home. What is worrisome to me is that, at some point, one or both of the boy's parents thought to themselves, you know what would be cool, if we edited together footage of a dog using our son as a chew toy. Even better, after crafting this little piece of video together, then the licensed it to Junkin Media, so now they are profiting off of their son being attacked. Mind you, the family are now also being treated as celebrties, they are doing tons of media interviews about their heroic cat, hell the cat is scheduled to throw out the first pitch at a baseball game (though I am not sure just how that happens).

Maybe this is just me being old fashioned, and admittedly I am not a parent so I am not speaking from experience, but I would like to think that if I were and one of the neighborhood dogs had attacked my child my first, second, or even third thought would not be, I wonder how I can make money or garner any glimmer of celebrity off of this. I wouldn't be viewing and editing security camera footage together to get the best possible angles of my child being viciously attacked. I would like to think I could find better ways to make money than by exploiting my own child's suffering. But that is just me, and given the internet fascination over the video and subsequent media fascination over the family in general I guess I am the only one that feels this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been