Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 179 - Insert clever title here

 

Not really sure if I have lots to get to or not, I guess the best way to find out is to just pressing some buttons here and see what happens.


First, and really I would me most remiss not to make this first is a Happy Birthday to Lee. How long has it been now? I am thinking maybe 10 years, if not even longer. From torturing lost souls back in Hike to the present day. At times it seems like a minute and at other times it seems like forever. And not that every moment has been agreeable, but then what fun would that be anyway? Still I am honored to have you as a friend and wish nothing but the very best for you. I know the tradition is to raise a glass and propose a toast or something on such an occasion, but I think I will just break back into Hike and tell someone off for old time's sake.


As for the rest of you, I have some good news and some bad news. Well, I guess it really isn't bad news. After all, as the saying goes nothing ventured, nothing gained and since I didn't venture anything it is safe to say I didn't gain anything either. Yes kids, to those of you that have them I am saying that you can put away your SDRs, I really don't see much more coming from that. It is what it is. And what it is is something that if pursued would just create more problems than it is worth, so best to stop now. There may have been a sign at some point, but it was more along the lines of a “Limited Time Only” venture than anything else and I missed my window of opportunity. Oh well, worse fates have befallen far greater men. And I did learn two things, 1) how to change the relationship status of friends on Multiply so the correct people could read a post and 2) that even I can beg for comments from time to time, now I just need to get me a change cup and the begging can commence.


Really though, when the above paragraph happens it should make for a pretty shitty day, but you know what? It really wasn't Maybe it had something to do with getting a decent amount of sleep last night, maybe it was just the fact that yesterday set the bar so low any other day would be better by comparison, maybe it was the fact that the Art Institute kids were away and I could actually tackle some of the things I needed to in a timely fashion today. Or that I could actually sound somewhat smart when some people from the Tribune Review came into the store to talk to Ed about how the Pennsylvania Lottery was changing the price of one of their games (Powerball) from $1 to $2 and I got to explain to the reporter that the lottery has had limited success with numbers games when they get off of the $1 price point, citing two different games they have cancelled in the last year. Then, while they were busy asking Ed more questions I went into all research mode and by the time they left I had printed up the evidence of my claims and gave them a copy to take with them. The radio producer skills never leave me, they are always just under the surface waiting to be utilized. A couple of times during the interview Ed even deferred to me as his “right hand man” (I don't want to know where his right hand has been) when it came to facts and figures regarding the lottery. If there was a zone, I think I was in it.


And with the 4th of July coming up, I was asked if I wanted the holiday off or if I wanted to work. Here is the deal with holidays at work, at least ones recognized by the company. If you are a full time employee of at least a year and you opt for the day off you still get paid. Fair enough. If you opt to work, then you get paid time and a half plus you get another paid day somewhere else when you want it. So far this year I have snagged an additional two paid days off, which just makes my vacation in December a little bit longer. Plus I am all about the extra coin, it will come in handy.


Finally, just as I was getting ready to leave Ed said that there was a meeting amongst the managers and during the meeting it was decided that three people would be getting raises. I am one of those people. Thing is I was considering asking, but I also know that I am given quite a few perks, not that others don't get perks as well, but I tend to be given right of first refusal on many of them. It certainly has worked to my benefit in the past, I have gotten Pirate tickets, Penguin tickets, radios, shirts, just boat loads of promotional goodies, so I am far from the last guy to be complaining about what he makes on an hourly rate. But still, I hadn't asked nor received a raise in my two and half years there (it should be noted that I started at a rate better than what I was making in radio, the job this replaced) so while I was thinking of asking, it wasn't going to be one of those line in the sand moments if I was denied. Now that isn't even an issue because it happened all of its own accord. Of course I will end up treating this like the “keys” moment and will assume that it means I should shoulder even more responsibility than I currently do, though I am not sure what else I can do save for work even more hours. Right now I am pulling more hours than any of the managers, so I am not sure how many more I can work, but we will see what happens.


I usually don't talk about Pandora on here, save to tell you that I am listening to it while I am blogging. Today would be no different in that regard, save for the fact that Pandora is absolutely killing it tonight. My mojo is apparently still in effect. If anyone ever wants to get a handle on the type of music I like, this would be a prime example. Since I started typing here is a list of the stuff I have heard, and I have only had to boot two songs;


“The Promise” When In Rome

“Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want” The Smiths

“Jealous” Gene Loves Jezebel

“Only You and I” Psychedelic Furs

“People Get Ready” The Housemartins

“Maps” Yeah Yeah Yeahs

“Mrs Robinson” The Lemonheads

“On a Carousel” The Hollies

“Island in the Sun” Weezer

“Ring of Fire (Live)” Johnny Cash

“I Will Dare” The Replacements

“Pretty in Pink” Psychedelic Furs (my first repeat band, usually it is The Smiths/Morrissey)


I am almost tempted to keep blogging just to see how long I can keep this up, though the people on Facebook are probably getting pissed at me for posting all of this cool music over there. Oh well, they can always ignore me, as can you I suppose. But for now I am outtie like a belly button.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a pretty cool day. Trade ya. I had to help wrangle a snake out of my office. I'm not fond of snakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the song 'the Promise' and now its all through my head, of course I commented on that on Facebook as well.

    Congratulations on your raise! From what I've been reading lately, it certainly sounds like well deserved and like you've proven yourself as a valuable member of the team there. The raise is welcome, I'm sure you've already mentally started to spend or save it!!

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been