Monday, June 6, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 156 - Puck you

Let's start by saying work sucked. It really did. Maybe I will get into the hows and why's later, and I am at a point financially where I don't want to waste any money by going out until I get paid on Wednesday. I have some cash, but would prefer not to spend it if I can help it. The only thing I really had to look forward to this evening was that tonight would be game 3 of the Stanley Cup final. Not that I had planned on glogging it, I am actually too tired to do that after a 12 hour shift at work, but just as some nice background noise in the apartment. After all, the first two games were really good (unless you are a Bruins fan) and I could see settling in for another good contest. Then I go to check out the preview of the game, just to see what time it starts and in the preview it says the game is on Versus. What? I get that the NHL has some games during the week on that fledgling network, but this is your Holy Grail of programming for the year and you are leaving it to Versus?

Now I am sure there are plenty of you out there that have cable and maybe even have Versus as part of your package, but as I have said before, I am sans cable. By and large there is nothing there that I can't see online later on. The only thing I have issues with getting are live sporting events, because Homeland Security cracked down on my two favorite streaming sites earlier this year (yes, if I can watch hockey live online, the terrorists have indeed won) so now I am wondering just what is on NBC this evening that would cause them to not air Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final while they are busying pimping out how this is their "Championship Season" in regards to sports programming. So I turn on the TV at 8pm, to see what grand virtuoso piece of programming would cause them to not carry the game, especially in the spring and summer months, when networks usually scramble for programming because all of their first tier shows are on hiatus until fall. And what could be bigger than the Stanley Cup final you ask? "Minute to Win It".

That is right boys and girls, a game show. And not just any game show, but what basically boils down to Letterman's old bit, "Stupid Human Tricks." The NHL just can't get out of their contract with NBC fast enough. Just break the fucking thing, let NBC fight you in court if they want to, because in the end the NHL would get more love if they were on Animal Planet then what they get from NBC. Hell, the publicity of fighting NBC in court would be more than what you get from being on their network. If you lose, just use part of your next TV contract with your next TV home to defray the legal costs, it can't be worse than the taking it up the ass you are letting yourselves be subjected to under the current deal.

Yes, I am bitter so maybe I better stop, before I become even moreso. Reliving the past 18 hours or so would not be a pleasant experience for me so it is probably best I do not do so. The last one and a half are bad enough.

5 comments:

  1. Are you shitting me? I don't have cable either and saw the game was on a cable channel but didn't know why. Considering the NHL never gets respect it doesn't shock me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a couple of websites bookmarked that I could duck this issue. It was really nice during football saeson, I could just watch whatever game I wanted but prior to the Super Bowl Homeland Security cracked down on them both. And of all of the bthings Yahoo screws up (and they are many and varied), they do carry some streams of games during the season, usually around 5 or so a week, so I can get my hockey fix if I am jonesing. But the idea that they wouldn't make the Stanley Cup Final available to the public at large just simply amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought since the Winter Classic started and the coverage it got hockey might bet a little more respect. It didn't happen. Now there are 1 day a year hockey fans. It kills me

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am at a point financially where I don't want to waste any money"I hear you Dude; I have been playing cheap charlie this break
    "(yes, if I can watch hockey live online, the terrorists have indeed won)"learning this stuff
    "Hell, the publicity of fighting NBC in court"

     Alki David the (BattleCam Dude) and Mike Mozart (Batman blog) are taking on the CBS! The first part of the video (<5:47) explains the CNET deal which we dance around all ready (good link). starting at 5:48 the good conspiracy stuff starts, RCN data Center attack. Is the Power of Blogging stuff going to bite the hand that feeds us? Catch 22 thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am not much for conspiracies usually, but as I was watching the video I was noting that many of the channels he was complaining that some of the downloadable programs grant access to already stream online, it isn't so much stealing content as it is linking up to already existing sites. Saying someone can dowload a program and have access to Hulu.com isn't much, anyone can have access to it by just typing in Hulu.com into their address bar. I really don't need third party software for that. Now some of the stuff that was available to me before on places like Justintv I could not get here, like ESPN America, which is Europe's ESPN channel, and many times I could find places that were streaming Hockey Night in Canada (which would have been helpful this evening). Bu the two main sites I went to are now blocked, if you go to them there is a message from Homeland Security saying the site is no longer available.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been