Saturday, June 25, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 176 - Huevos Centavos

 
Let me start by saying that just because I am wearing my Foamy the Squirrel shirt (“Why must you scar my mind with your human idiocy?”), that is not meant to be a challenge for people I encounter. With that out of the way, let me regale you with a story from breakfast.

Out of bed early for a day off (6:30am), I puttered around the house for a bit, popping online from time to time, I think I left a comment here and there for those things I felt a comment from me would be more than me just writing to hear myself write. Also I wanted to check and see if any messages were left on Facebook (none were) and also to read the morning paper. After awhile, my mom suggested that we go to breakfast, which is fine with me, that is sometimes a good weekend ritual for me.

So we opt for Eat N Park, a local chain of family style restaurants that does do a decent job with their breakfast menu. Nothing all kinds of spectacular like hotcake sundaes, but just solid if unspectacular breakfast fare. It was what happened after breakfast that was of note though. The check came to the table, I offered to buy, so I took the check and we headed out to pay the bill. I think it was around $15 and some odd change, I forget the exact amount. But it was what the cashier did and said next that was the Foamy moment of the morning. First she gets my change from the register, she is fishing in the cash drawer for the exact change, and had she just pulled the coins out I probably would never have caught it. But instead she is looking at a really small coin, trying to ascertain its origin. She then pipes up, “Wow, a bicentennial dime!” Which would be great, except the US government never minted a bicentennial dime. So now I am intrigued as this magic coin, and it turns out not only to not be a bicentennial dime, but not even a dime. Rather she had managed to hand me a 20 centavo Honduran coin, proving that she can't read very well and/or has little to no experience with American currency, so naturally one can think of no better place to put her than the cash register. Now had she said she didn't have a dime, I wouldn't have cared, it was a freaking dime after all, but instead decided the best course of action was to go the bicentennial dime route, well that is just human idiocy.

But for a day off, I must say I should take a lot more days like these. Breakfast, besides the poor exchange rate with Honduran currency, was good and I spent a good portion of the day first crashing dollar stores buying odd things (one could find a beard trimmer, hot sauce, peanut butter cups and shampoo in my cart) and visiting with family and so far no fighting (Yay!!! to that.) and finished by going to dinner and having a delicious plate of chicken marsala. I may hate going back to work Monday. Oh who am I kidding, we all know why I want to go back there, now don't we? But if ever I needed a good recharge of the emotional batteries, so far this weekend is more than living up to the task.

5 comments:

  1. you missed an opportunity there, clearly you could have paid for breakfast with monopoly money & got away with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing is I didn't even realize I was wearing the Foamy shirt till well after the stupidity took place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And for those unfamilar with the greatness that is Foamy

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the local Burger King a moron gave change for a $200 bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great day..yes..you should do more of those..

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been