Monday, June 20, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 171 - New rule

 

Let me say, if you have been following along on the page for a while, you now understand why I have as one of my rules to live by “expect nothing and you will never be disappointed”. It is not often that I come here seeking comments, by and large the page gets by just fine without them, but if my secret entry (not everyone got to see it) is any indication, I am better off not asking for any at all.


Save for one person I went pretty much commentless when it came time to actually seek an opinion on something of a personal nature that I wished to address. Yes, I finally went and cut off access to the general public for the first time in the blog's history and let's just say I was less than impressed with the results. Had I not felt an actual need to limit viewership for that particular entry maybe I would have been better off, but there is usually a reason for most everything I do and there was a reason for keeping that entry from full public consumption. But if I was hoping to be awash in comments and suggestions, then I most certainly would have been disappointed. So the above rule does indeed have real world application, regardless of how cynical it may seem when it is first heard or read. Truisms sometimes suck. And maybe that should be a rule as well.


“Truisms sometimes suck.”

12 comments:

  1. People always have an opinion, usually is isn't something you want to hear. I've made the mistake of asking for peoples opinion before. I usually end up deleting those blogs and wishing I hadn't poked my head out of the sand that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. new rules are good..means progress.. sucks? sometimes progress does..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned to just be myself. Sometimes I am hated for it, but the few and far between times when I'm loved for it, make up for it all by far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I do not ask for opinions on the blog, they are welcome (within reason, name calling and such just gets tossed) even if they are not mine. I have had some fascinating discussions with people on this blog, and most of them involve a disagreement of sorts but learning is not found by simply burying one's head in the sand or surrounding oneself of likeminded people. .

    I did the best I could at limiting access to that entry, the object of the entry is a friend on Facebook as well so it couldn't be posted there, though thankfully she is not a friend here, so that wasn't an issue, even if she could get to my blog page she couldn't have read the entry. Why I left the door open for comments and to a certain degree solicited them, I am pretty comfirtable that the people that visit my page regularly and are frriends are ones that I can trust to either pass along good advice or kick my ass if it needs kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to keep a pretty simple but consistent world view, when things knock up against it that prove my views wrong then obviously I have gotten something wrong and have to adjust my vision as it were. So sometimes the rules are relaitively simple, like "Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed" or 'Every day is a day closer to my last day". Those are pretty hard to disprove, regardless of the negative connotations that may go with them. Don't get me wrong, I would love for either of those to be disproved and for me to be forced to adjust my world view accordingly, so anyone wishing to pick up that gauntlet and run with it, be my guest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. but if I expect nothing, then I won't get nothing out of the experience...I gotta expect something sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I can always get something out of the experience, sometimes it is pleasantly surprised but rarely is it ever disappointment. Otherwise I would still be grumbling about how bad Green Lantern actually was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It won the weekend, though it did worse than was projected. It didn't do the same numbers as either "Thor" or "X Men First Class" did on their opening weekends (X men also had a much smaller budget). probably the big kicker was the bad word of mouth and press it got, the gate dropped 21% between Friday and Saturday, which isn't good by opening weekend standards. They tease a sequel at the end of the movie, but unless it does some miraculous turnaround this week, I can't see Warner Brothers agreeing to a second movie in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. goes to show....big isn't going to make the movie...the quality will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. True, and had I actually read some reviews ahead of time I might have opted for "Thor" instead, but I went in pretty blind on this one and while I am a geek for comic book movies this just wasn't a good one. Probably somewhere down there with "The Spirit" in the ranks of bad comic book movies actually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the entry Monday night after a long day at work, I'm pretty much a zombie until my working week finishes... you may still get a comment from me on that entry ;)

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been