Thursday, June 2, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 152 - Selective reading

Okay, I am sitting here, figuring that i should probably bang out a blog entry, lest I have day #2 of this project that goes blogless.  And I can't let that happen, despite being pretty damn tired.  Between being up late last night with the hockey game (by the way, highlights of said game can be found here) and a long day at work where I had to deal with over three hundred cases of product and a grocery order, another nap might be a good idea.  Yes, I have already taken one, I climbed into ye olde recliner and fell asleep watching Diamond League action on Universal Sports, missing my chance to once again ogle the ever so yummy Blanka Vlasic.  Yes, I just name dropped someone you never heard of I am sure.  Here, I will make up for it with a pic.

That is all for the photos kids.  If you were expecting this to be an episode of Picturepages you will be sadly disappointed, so put your crayons and your pencils away.  After my last blog with photos I am staying away from them as much as is possible, just too much of a headache to drop insert them into the text.  Not sure why, it wasn't always that way around here.  It used to be that you could carry them over to the scroll bar on the right and roll down through the blog to where you wanted them, but it didn't work the last time I tried on Sunday, and dragging photos down the page a few lines of text at a time is just too much of a pain in my ass to be something I want to do on a regular basis around here.  Maybe it is just me, but it would seem to be a case of Multiply fixing something that just wasn't broken.

Since there has been a slight uptick in comments around here recently, I guess I feel the need to restate something.  Not to be offensive (though one of the rules of the blog is if I haven't pissed you off at least once, I haven't done my job) but just to give everyone, both young and old, the lay of the land as it were.  I will not read/watch, view each and every thing you post, and by all means if something of mine doesn't quite strike your fancy, feel free to pass on it and come back another time.  Not to be mean, but say you had a hankering for old Paula Abdul videos and wanted to post them on your page.  Certainly I would not tell you not to, but by the same token I really have absolutely zero interest in that topic, so chances are I will not view said video.  Paula Abdul can be "Forever Your Girl", to me she is just an annoyance I would rather not subject myself to.  Along a similar vein, if I do read,watch, view something on your page, and I do not comment, it isn't a reflection in any way my opinion, rather sometimes I just realize that I have nothing of merit to contribute by way of a comment, so I don't. 

None of the above means anything more than what is stated, I am sure I will be back to your page in short order.  You wouldn't be part of my collection of Peeps if that were not the case.

Wow, did you ever do something and it unintentionally leads you to something completely different?  I think I just accidentially did that with my last link.  Checking out the select few  peeps I have on this page I was once again reminded of Donna.  And with it a happy kind of sadness, happiness because I had the opportunity to know her (though not nearly as well as some others here) and sadness that she isn't with us any longer. 

Okay, I will not get all sappy or teary eyed here, I have a reputation to maintain after all and right now part of that reputation involves being a living, breathing human being that sometimes requires sustenance, so I am off to forage for food.

7 comments:

  1. Hockey game....the last few seconds were exciting....of course this reads like a Seinfeld episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the entire game was really good, it just so happened that both goaltenders were spectacular for most of the night. Unlike soccer, where every game seems to be 0-0, you might be lucky to see 8-10 scoring chances, tops here you had almost 70 shots between the teams, many of them quality scoring chances and yet only one goal. Even on that goal, it was an impreessive play for Kessler to remain onside that got the proverbial puck rolling as it were.

    And yes, my blogs do tend to come out all sorts of disjointed, moreso when I have no idea what it is I am going to talk about to begin with. Unlike yesterday where I could say, well the hockey game will be the focus and I will just build around that and see what happens, today there was no such anchor to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I caught bits and pieces of the game and it was a good played game. High shots on goal with no scoring means both were damn good goal tenders. What I saw they both had some great saves.

    In the end of his playing career I got to know Murray Bannerman, retired Blackhawks goalie. He played for Baltimore when they were independent AHL team. It's funny the most fun he ever had on the ice was one game after a huge fight. They didn't have enough players not on 5 minute majors to field the ice. So the pulled some of the pads off Murray and gave him someones stick - I think Alfie Turcottes. Murray got to play one shift in his career as a defenseman. He had a blast. He had never gotten to be an enforcer in front of the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hockey is probably my favorite sport, at least watching it live and in person, if I am stuck with the TV then it would probably be football. When I first got into radio the station I was working for was doing sports talk, so we had press passes to the Penguin games and part of my job would be to go and interview players after the game for sound bites to then cut up and use in sportscasts throughout the day. The thing that struck me about most of the hockey players I have met, besides being probably the most level headed of professional athletes I encountered, was their size, or lack thereof. While there were some bigger guys, most hockey players weren't all that different looking physical spoecimens than every day ordinary guys. Maybe that has to do with centers of gravity and being on skates and what not, but I remember meeting JJ Daigneault, and thinking, you know, he isn't that much bigger than me (his stats are 5'11" 180 lbs).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were all trees to me but I'm 5 ft tall. I was one of the eye candy they hired to put in a cheer uniform and cheer the stands of the games. On and between periods we had to go down on the ice in cut away skirts and halter tops. It was a wee bit nipply but that was part of their plan. The AHL had a brilliant idea to have cheerleaders to help boost fan attendance. I cheered through Baltimore being the affiliate of the Penguins, then the independent years followed by the Capitals. Rarely did we travel with the team, only did home games, but we did do the Maritime trip every year. With the exception of a few guys over my career with the team they were all down to earth and nice. I could drop some names of some real assholes and players - not of the hockey kind but of the female user kind - but on average they were great guys. And you were right, not one hockey player looked like the incredible hulk. You have to be fast and flexible. Bulky muscle can make you slow and lumbering. On the ice when you are deaking the puck in the corner you need to be fast and agile.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been