Thursday, July 16, 2015

B365V2.53 - Closed

Well this is much needed.  Back on the bench in the park, relaxing and trying to type.  The process would be easier if there weren't kids still on the playground, leaving off horrid sheiks like they are auditioning for a slasher flick.  If only I could be so lucky.

The kidnap victims jacket is finally off of the pole behind the bench.  If ever I could use for someone or something to come out of the woods and abduct some people, this would be the moment.

Not sure what I should be writing about, I am at a loss for words.  I shouldn't say that because that usually leads to an incredibly long blog.  Just not sure I have that in me tonight.  

I could take a moment to mention the Kaufmann's/Macy's closing in downtown Pittsburgh.  The store has been there for better than a century and this is the point where I am supposed to regale you with my memories of it except I don't have any.  I shopped there a few times but it was never a destination for me, a place I had to check out.  I used to go up to the 11th floor and check out there limited computer offerings and the Waldenbooks ( remember them? ) section.  Eventually the computer section and its limited offerings were removed, and Waldenbooks was replaced with a Bradley's Book Outlet.  Then Macy's bought out Kaufmann's and you could see the writing on the wall for the store.  First was talk that they wanted to sell the building and condense their 11 existing floors down to 4 and just leasing the space they needed from the new owner.  Then there was the street level windows.  Every Christmas one of the traditions downtown would be to check out the new Christmas windows at Macy's.  Except they quit changing the window displays, the last few years it has been the same window displays year after year.  And you hardly ever saw customers in the store.  One of the street level windows housed their Lush department, a section that had bath soaps and scrubs and what not.  The section would always be manned by two or three emo looking kids who would be spending their time talking to each other as they outnumbered the customers in their section.

So the store's closing doesn't come as a surprise, more like a foregone conclusion.  

I have been mixing it up on Facebook recently.  As those of you know, way back in my radio days I produced a conservative leaning talk show which was hosted by Jerry Bowyer.  Well a debate has been heating up on some of his posts regarding immigration.  Now that is an issue where Jerry and I agree, but many of his conservative friends do not.  So where Jerry approaches the issue from a conservative perspective, I tend to get there from a liberal one.  Of course that comes with its whole slew of insults for me, such as me being a sycophant, or that I am too busy reading the liberal mainstream media when honestly I can't even remember the last time I have picked up a newspaper.  Now that the Washington Post is scarcer around these parts than Bigfoot sightings, there is very little on the newspaper front that I do read.  As for TV, I haven't turned mine on in three or so weeks.  But I am familiar with how that medium works, hook the audience with teases and fear in order to get them to sit through the commercial break.  Be sure to mix in bold colors to pop eyes and images that reinforce existing stereotypes and you will pop a rating that will keep you profitable.  Give me the Naked News any day, at least that might hold my attention.

Uh oh, my drug truck may be back, as a truck just went down the road behind my bench, which just goes down to a turn around and comes back out.  Whew, he didn't part, he just turned around and left.  Wonder if that has to do me me sitting on the most lit bench here, as opposed to sitting under the pavilion where there are no lights.  

Oh well I should head home, I have a shield up in MPQ that is about to expire and I am about 100 points away from the Professor X card I want.  And I did knock out a couple more levels of Alpha Betty while sitting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been