Monday, July 6, 2015

B365V2.43 - No summer camp for me

So here it is, a little after 10 pm and I am again sitting on my blogging bench.  I am starting to lean on this spot almost like a crutch, I feel a need to blog, get up and leave my apartment and walk here before I get started.  In part it is because it is much cooler outside than inside, and unless I am Richard Simmons cutting the new workout video, "Sweating with the Blogger", I see no need to work under Nike-like sweatshop conditions.

I have come here today to make a declaration however, I am not going to summer camp this year.  Not that I ever did go to summer camp as a kid, the closest thing I ever came to camp would be sleeping outside on my porch or at Gary's house, waiting for that one week of the year that mattered in Elderton, that being the week of the Elderton Carnival.  Run by the local VFD, it was exactly what you would imagine a small town local carnival to be, a handful of rickety rides run by creepy carnies,  with volunteers manning the things that generated revenue for the VFD itself, the dime pitch, the dunking booth ( a local honor would be to get picked to be in the booth ), the paddle boards, etc. etc.   Other than that, camp for me would be if I was lucky enough to go to my grandparents camp in Tionesta.  I loved it up there, it was a close to absolutely quiet as I have ever come ( an ongoing struggle of mine is to find a completely quiet spot).  At night it would be so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  It was as close as I have come to sensory deprivation and I loved it.

So you may be asking yourself what the hell did that diatribe have to do with not going to summer camp this year anyway.  Well, not much really, save that I saw on Facebook that it is the 10th year of Podcamp Pittsburgh, one of those social forays where people like me are supposed to pick up tips and hints on how to create a better online presence for ourselves through blogging, podcasting, etc.  Except I don't want a better presence, I am quite happy with my online lot in life.  Some people stop by here, and that is cool and by the way thanks for reading my drivel, others don't and that is fine as well, trust me I am not losing sleep over it.  Yes, I could be a better writer, but I am content with my blogging voice as is.  If anything I should probably proofread my stuff more often to cut down on typographical errors, but I have never viewed blogging as work and proofreading sounds like work to me.   I have no desire to turn this page into some sort of money making venture either.  If you are here you don't need to be bothered with pop up ads featuring Kara D selling you her pill to keep her skin clear that comes with more side effects than being bit by a radioactive spider.  That is not why you are here or why I do this, so I don't need pointers on how to do things I don't want to do.  Even though Podcamp is free, it is the consuming of time that makes it not worth my while.  While I am there I am not working and making money, which is what keeps a roof over my head and keeps this blog, such as it is, up and running.  I don't want to start a series of "blogging from a box, my home under a bridge", even if I do refer to the cardboard boxes we put out at work as homeless improvement.

That in a nutshell is why I am not going to camp this year.  Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been