Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 268 - Running the asylum

 

Nothing exciting to report, just sitting around watching more rugby on TV, this time it is the United States and Italy. And again it is a rebroadcast, the initial airing round these parts was last night/this morning around 2:30 am and while I am enjoying watching rugby on TV, I am not going to stay up half the night to do it when my alarm goes off at 5 am most mornings.


Looks like the inmates get to run the asylum at work for the next few days. Ed has apparently opted to check out for the year and start his winter vacation in Florida. I don't know if this is because he and Brian had another fight, but I was under the impression that he would be sticking around until the first week of October, but Brian has been in the last couple of days and we have witnessed the traditional “cleaning of the desk”, where Brian tries to make sense of all of the stuff Ed left on the desk by basically removing it all. And it looks like Dee is going to be gone for a few days, she is going down to Florida to spend a couple days with Bill, who is down there on business. Not sure how good of a time she will have, she seemed to be getting sick the last couple of days, being all coughy and pumped full of cold meds, but maybe some warmer air is what she needs to get better. Which she will need, I have a feeling much of the day to day operation of the store over the next couple of months is going to fall almost squarely on her. Before he left Ed was already sort of grooming her for what was coming, letting her have a hand in scheduling and what not. And the coming schedule for next week is entirely her creation, no outside input from Ed whatsoever.


I went ahead and penciled in my vacation days for the rest of the year. With weekends falling in there, I am looking at possibly converting my 6 days off into 10 or so, and getting both Christmas and New Years Day both off. Not that I do anything on New Years Day, but it falls on Sunday this year and Sunday is the one day that I am definitely scheduled off. Now the $64,000 question is how much of that time I want to spend at home versus just having some time for myself. I love my family but that much time with them may be pushing the limit, I might be better off saving a few days for my own personal down time.


Oh well, tomorrow is payday, and none too soon I might add. I can use some cash in my grubby little paws, if for no other reason than to enjoy another good breakfast this weekend. I made the mistake, and I will call it a mistake right now, of going to Hanlon's Cafe last Saturday for breakfast. It is the place that moved into the old Steel City Diner location. On the plus side, the service was good and it was pretty cheap. Everything else would fall on the bad side. Maybe I have spoiled myself by going to Deluca's and Jo Jo's, but when they fire off some good Italian bread into the toaster, it is quite good. The bland offerings of toast at Hanlons, which was like out of date, generic white bread was not nearly as good. The coffee was okay, but what was the deal of serving it in Styrofoam cups. I get that if I am at McDonald's or am getting it to go from some place, but if I am sitting down in a restaurant, I don't want to be eating off of paper plates or drinking out of Styrofoam cups. And the food? Ugh. I got what they call the Eye Opener (two eggs, side of meat, hash browns or home fries and toast). I have already bitched about the toast. The eggs were okay, but how hard is it to make eggs? The homefries were cold in the middle and the sausage was those little crappy links you can get out of the freezer section of the grocery store. Just bad, very bad. I can safely say it will not become part of my Saturday ritual on a regular basis.


Okay, I have babbled enough, time for some shut eye, or maybe something to eat, I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been