Sunday, September 11, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 252 - Opening weekend

 

So what's up? Not too much here, just watching a little Sunday night football before calling it an evening. It is opening weekend of the NFL season after all. Plus I managed to fix a problem that has been ailing me for lo these many months. Right around the time of the Super Bowl I was in a bit of a groove, I had found two different streaming services to watch sporting events, and it would be quite often that rather than having the TV on I would be watching football or hockey online. Apparently Homeland security got wind of this and shut the sites down, again because if I can watch sports online then the terrorists most surely have won.


Well today I was just settling in on my laptop, I was going to listen to the Steelers game while working on some other stuff and I ran across a new link and the streaming worked, so I am once again looking at the real possibility of watching football online all year. So while I was watching the Steelers – Ravens game, I wasn't watching on the local CBS affiliate, rather I had the ESPN America feed from across the pond. For those unfamiliar, it is really the CBS feed, but ESPN has the NFL television rights over there, so they rebroadcast the CBS feed from the states. But I was just happy to find a new site that Homeland Security hasn't shut down yet.


Of course the Steelers got killed, 35-7, which means many in Pittsburgh will be depressed tomorrow. Not me, I had Ray Rice of the Ravens on all three of my fantasy teams and he had a very productive day. Not that his effort alone means I will win anything, but he certainly didn't lose me any games this weekend.


I also got out for a nice walk this afternoon. It has become something of a habit for me of late, I get out and just stroll around for about an hour or so. This time I too a bus up top Squirrel Hill and ran a couple of errands then decided I would walk back, cutting through Schenley Park and the Carnegie Mellon University campus before making it back to Oakland. It is a nice habit I have been getting into on my days off.


But I did all I could to avoid any 9/11 coverage today. As soon as I saw something about it on TV I immediately changed the channel. No memorial services for me, thank you very much. Which bring me to the Sunday Night football game, between the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Jets. On one hand, I am not a fan of the Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, but likewise I am not big on the whole patriotic crap that is awash with the New York teams on this given day. If ever there was a game where I wish both teams could lose this would be it.


Well, instead of more 9/11 crap I will just call it a night instead. I have my spaghetti and meatballs handy and if the game starts to suck too bad I can always go bake some brownies or something.

6 comments:

  1. So I just typed a long comment then removed it. Don't usually do that, rarely censor myself. Anyway, sounds like a good day off except for the walking and football part. Well, actually sounds like a good day off for you but a horrible one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've managed to sucessfully avoid all 9/11 coverage

    ReplyDelete
  3. The walk sounds like fun to me. Sometimes just walking and taking in the sights is great. We won't talk about the Steeler's game. All I want to say is TURNOVERS! Taking a breath on that. 9/11 coverage, I am with you. I played avoidance all weekend. I actually had a great weekend. Started with a great date Friday, yeah I Yeah, take my temperature because I must be sick. The spaghetti and meatballs sounds good. With some garlic bread...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am curious as to what was left out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I covered that day in the blog years ago, working as a radio producer at a news/talk station at the time was quite a challenge given the way information flittering about. But that day was 10 years and a lifetime ago. I did my bit about the anniversary on Thursday, beating the Christmas rush in that regard, so I was done with it before all of the stuff today even began.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking is becoming a Sunday thing for me, I try to get out for an hour or so. I don't want to call it a habit yet, I have only been doing it for about 5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been