Thursday, September 22, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 263 - No drama for now

For the first time this week I thought I would get through a day drama free.  And I guess I did, though that may be short lived after how the day at work finished off.

I had mentioned previously that my coworker Sammy had gotten his son a job with us.  Things with his son Shane have been hit and miss, there are tiomes when he seems to be doing well and then other times where I wonder just what the hell he is thinking.  And it wasn't just me who felt that way, Ed was in the same boat.  The thing is Sammy is one of our best workers, I have come to rely on him quite a bit, so when his son would screw up it had the potential to create an uncomfortable situation.  And it didn't get better after Sunday night.  Ed made one of his surprise visits to the store and he parked in his spot down the street and sat in his car.  The reason he did so was that he saw Shane standing outside smoking a cigarette.  Now as a boss, I am pretty lax on taking breaks.  They aren't scheduled per se, I don't run a take 15 minutes every three hours type deal, but if you want to take 5 and grab a smoke, or maybe grab something to eat, I don't care as long as you are doing your job.  Well Ed sat in his car for a good 10 minutes just watching Shane stand outside the store.  Eventually Shane went inside and Ed go out of his car and went in the store as well, which was a complete mess by Ed's standards.  So he procceded to ride him for a solid two hours at work that night, making sure that he was working.

Of course when I came in Sunday morning I also noticed a bunch of stuff that didn't get done or was done half assed.  Sammy saw it too, he was equally upset but it didn't become an issue until Ed pulled us into the office to complain about what he saw the night before, which only made a bad situation worse because Ed obviously saw things I didn't and I saw things Ed didn't.  It was bad enough that when Shane came in for second shift that day, he was called into the office with Ed and myself and basically put on notice, if he screwed up once over the next 30 days he was done.

Well, Thursday obviously falls within those 30 days.  The thing was, Shane wasn't even scheduled to work.  Instead he had the day off and had stopped by our one store, Universal News, to get a couple of things.  I have explained our charge sheet policy before, we are allowed to get things at work and Ed will charge us his cost for them.  We just write them up on these sheets and at the end of two weeks, whatever we charge goes against our paycheck.  It is a small perk for working there to be sure.  Anyway as I was writing, Shane shows up at Universal and asks Cierra to put a carton of cigarettes on his sheet.  She does this and he proceeds to say how he is taking the cigarettes and reselling them at a profit, which is the first big no-no.  To make matters worse, he asks Cierra for a second carton, but don't put it on his sheet, which was never going to happen.  She got him the second carton but made sure to put that on his sheet as well.  I figured she handled the matter well enough (as luck would have it I was there putting in Universal's order at the time) and we even talked about it afterward and I told her she did the right thing, there is no reason for her to put her job in jeopardy for him.  But the matter handled to my satisfaction I didn't thing anything more of it.  Turns out though that one of Ed's "secret shoppers" was in the store at the time and made a call to him regarding the matter, which basically means Shane is fired. 

Now how this is going to play out tomorrow I have no idea, Shane is no longer even allowed in our stores and I don't know how Sammy will take it, he was informed just before he left today.  Hopefully he will understand that nobody is blaming him for his son's actions, but we still did fire his son, so we will see.  I have a feeling I am going to need a drink by the end of this week.

3 comments:

  1. That just sounds like a bad and uncomfortable situation. The guy was an dumbass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and truth be told Sammy has said on more than one occasion that business is business and has confronted his son about his efforts or lack thereof at work. I am almost more worried about how he is going to deal with his son than I am how things will be at work in the morning. I could wake up to find Sammy literally kicked his son's ass.

    It is one reason why I am so wary of giving out job reccommendations myself, especially to people who I will have to work with. Any time Ed asks me if I know of anyone who I think has a good work ethic I say yes I do, and the reason I know is they have jobs. The ones that don't I wouldn't want my reputation tied to.

    Shane was just an idiot. he came in saying he wanted all kinds of hours because he wanted to get his own apartment, and then he wanted to get a car, etc., etc. Yet I saw his charge sheet for the upcoming paycheck (which will be his last) and somehow he managed to ring up over $350 in purchases. Mind you, we aren't selling furniture or anything. Almost all of it (over $300) was just on cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well cigarettes were his part time job. Technically isn't he fence and if I am not mistaken he's brokering on breaking AFT laws. There is a fine line there because he has not paid for the cigarettes yet. He is getting them and reselling them for either retail or just below retail. Very fine line!

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been