Friday, September 2, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 243 - T minus 19 1/2 hours and counting

 

Tomorrow looks to be a rather busy day for me, given I have such a limited social calendar to begin with I guess any event popping up on it would make it qualify as a busy day. But really, it does look to be quite busy.


I don't want to say the store is short handed it really isn't, I think the better term would be under trained. And part of that falls on me, I am terrible at training new employees on what to do and what not to do. For me it is just about doing stuff, I always argue that what we do isn't brain surgery, but by the same token it means I just take a lot of common sense for granted and when someone lacks that elementary of a capacity then I just don't have the patience for them.


As a result I have been able to get some more hours, if for no other reason than I find myself fixing the mistakes of others. And really, that part of my job sucks because to me, going back and redoing something is a double waste of time, first is the time wasted to do it wrong originally and second is the time I now have to waste to undo what was done. I'd rather people did nothing instead, because then I would at least know what I have to do, rather than spend my time bumping into things that weren't done right the first time.


Enough of that rant, save for the fact that because we have so many people who don't know what they are doing, they can't be trusted by themselves. So Sammy will be pulling the Saturday morning shift this week. We usually don't find ourselves on the schedule on weekends, even though I always end up being there on Saturday and he is there quite a bit as well but tomorrow he is scheduled, so we will be doing another breakfast, this time at Jo Jo's. Nothing against Deluca's, it is still my favorite breakfast place, but I was starting to suffer from burnout. Too much of a good thing and all that jazz.


But after breakfast Sammy has to pull a regular shift, I have my normal Saturday projects of ordering, doing price changes and paperwork, followed by some other stuff I want to get done (retagging some coolers) and then we get to work on the big project. Ed placed another of his overly large orders with an outside vendor (Pricemaster) and all I know about what he bout is the weight, 500 pounds of assorted stuff. So my job, and that of my crew, is to get the basement ready for this rather large order, straightening up, reorganizing the shelves, sweeping and mopping the entire basement (including the fun of deck brushing concrete). It looks to be a fun time had by all. But that isn't the end of the day.


When I get home I get the fun of getting ready for my last fantasy football draft, starting at 7pm. I am geeked, I have at least started paying attention though I can't remember the last time I was this unprepared for the bar draft than this year, despite doing two other ones already. But this is the one that matters most to me, bragging rights and all that jazz. And some smack talking, and I really haven't done any smack talking yet this year. So I am looking forward to getting the band all back together in one online draft room. It's not quite The Beatles (who my mother would tell you are half dead) but we don't have no weak ass Yoko Ono dragging us down either.


And hopefully my books will arrive from Amazon, I know the order was shipped, they say the shipping is 5 to 7 days but for some reason on books I tend to get them faster. And I already know they are out there, it is just a matter of them getting here now.


If by chance I do get bored tomorrow, I have a box full of Coke caps my aunt sent me to add to the Mycokerewards account. On some of them I noticed that they are giving away free entries to get your high school a $25,000 improvement to their outdoor facilities. I have been submitting my high school's name, though my school isn't actually registered. I took the time to contact the current principal of the school and let him know about the program, even showing him where they can sign up, just in case I am the winner of the contest (not likely) because if a school wins that isn't registered the prize goes to someone else. Plus it also gives him the opportunity to further develop it so that I am not the only person donating entries to Elderton High School, he can at least let other people know about the program and maybe generate an extra entry or two. But I am not the one to do that, high school was too many years ago for me, I know no one back there now, including the principal, and I am not in a place to set something like that up for them.


Well, if I am going to attack the day tomorrow, it gets started by getting some sleep tonight, so sleep it is. Toodles.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't part of the learning process to fix your own mistakes? Whilst it's probably quicker to have someone experienced (like you) do it surely if would happen less if they actually had to clean up their own messes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that usually they are on the shift after me, so if I leave a mistake just sit there, then it will have been that way for as long as 24 hours before it was fixed, provided they even fixed it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I job share so I know your frustration well about having to fix other people's mistakes. I have two of those to fix up today which I suspect will take the most of the morning ugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had another example this morning when I got in. Saturday one of the tasks we had was to straighten up the basement for nthe upcoming order from Pricemaster that Ed placed. Sammy and I did a lot of work in getting the basement ready, finding more stuff to throw out and rearranging some shelving for the new product coming in. The only task I left the Saturday crew (there were two of them) was to sweep the basement and the steps and to mop the stairs, things I would consider not needing all that much training for, yet I came in today and neither task was done. I am so ready to just go on a firing spree and start from scratch. If I have to train people on how to use a fucking broom, then I am not sure I want them to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been