Saturday, September 10, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 251 - That makes three

 

It was one of those kind of days. More 9/11 nonsense leading up to the 10th anniversary tomorrow. I think the best thing I heard in that regard all day was this...

“What's the difference between a cow and 9/11? You can't milk a cow for 10 years.”


The day was a little different in a couple regards. Because of the holiday on Monday this past week, I had to go in and actually catch a truck and put things away before I could go about doing my normal Saturday work. And because there was a delivery involved, Sammy offered to come in and help put things away. What made the day truly different though was that we did breakfast again. Yeah, how is that different you ask? Friday we were getting some work done and Clare asked me if we were going to breakfast on Saturday, I said I didn't know because technically it was Sammy's turn to buy. We usually alternate buying each other breakfast, but we never push the issue when it is the other person's turn to buy. Whenever they decide is a good Saturday for breakfast is when we go, that way nobody is forced into buying breakfast on those weekends where they are low on cash. Well Clare says that she is going to go and buy this time. We have been down this path before, Clare says she will go but then doesn't. So I wasn't going to push the issue, because if Sammy and I both show up and she isn't there, then Sammy is going to think he is forced into buying breakfast (even though I had the money to cover it, should it come to that) when he very well may not have enough to be splurging 10 days after payday. So I tell Clare that it is up to Sammy, not me. Sammy was already in a bad move, the job he got his son with us may not be working out. Without getting into too many details, I will just say that there have been issues during Shane's probationary period, including the fact that he went home early on Thursday. So I ask Sammy if he wants to go to breakfast and I explain that Clare says she is going and buying this time (which is actually part of a promise she early this year) and Sammy, after a little arm twisting from em says that he will go but if she isn't there then she doesn't get invited ever again. It is a position I am cool with, it is pretty much how I have felt for a while now.


So this morning my alarm goes off at 5am, I smack the snooze button a couple of times and apparently I hit the on button for the radio, thereby nullifying the alarm because the next time I open my eyes it is 6:25am and I have to be downtown at 6:30am. Since I do not possess teleportation technology that meant I would definitely be late. I was able to scramble and throw on some clothes, scurry off to the bus stop and get downtown in about 30 minutes, but that still made me significantly late. And lo and behold Clare was actually there. So the three of us head off for the Strip District to grab some breakfast goodness. Since Clare was buying (though I did keep my cash on me just in case, one can never be too careful) it was up to her to pick where we were going. That all but rules out Pamela's, as I don't think she is even all that aware of that place, leaving only Deluca's and Jo Jo's. On one hand she is more familiar with Deluca's, she went there once with Sammy and I and has been back there plenty of times since with her boyfriend, usually on Sunday mornings, on the other because I had to doggy bag my order from Jo Jo's last week, she did see what half of a Jo Jo's omelet looks like, so I know that piqued her curiousity somewhat. But in the end she went with the more comfortable of the two options. And it was a good breakfast, as almost all Deluca's breakfasts are. And it did get Clare out of the doghouse a bit too, after the number of times we waited for her only to have her not show up. And really, we were all working this morning, so might as well go in with a breakfast fortified with vitamins and iron and grease and caffeine.


The rest of the day went relatively uneventfully, I got my work done, though later than usual because of the delivery and me being forced to do orders for two stores as opposed to one, plus there were about 10 pages of price changes that I had to go through this morning, many of which were in the system wrong to begin with, so that needed fixing as well.


ON the down side, I lost one of my books already. I am sure it is in my apartment some place, just not sure where right now. So I had to grab another one to take with me to work. Not for work, but for the bus ride in and home, and as an added bonus because I worked so long today I made a detour on the way home and grabbed a late lunch/early dinner from the Squirrel Cage, getting their club sandwich (turkey, ham, cappacola) and fries. I figured I needed to get my bus pass anyway, so I would pick it up at Giant Eagle in Squirrel Hill after snacking, plus I wanted to get some garlic bread for dinner tomorrow (I am making spaghetti and meatballs) and some stuff to make vegetable soup, namely vegetables, otherwise it is just broth so it wasn't an unnecessary trip. And I did get some reading in, so I now have three books going at the same time. And who would have thunk I didn't even need a million dollars for that. The worst part about the book I brought with me was that I bought it out of the Amazon cheapie bin (I think I paid $3.98 for it in hardback) was that the reason it was so cheap was that it was in large type. So I am sure I looked like a blind buffoon sitting there eating my sandwich and reading a book that looked like a damn doctor's eye chart. But the book is good, Christopher Buckley rarely steers me wrong in that regard, and I managed to bang out about 60 pages despite only starting it on the way to work this morning.


So now I have a true dilemma, which book should I finish first. One on hand I have one that I started months ago, and not that it was bad but life started getting in the way and then I started another book which I did finish, and my three book Amazon order arrived and I have now started two of those. I think ideally I would like to finish the one I lost first, if I can ever find it, because I am pretty sure I will blow through the Buckley book. I tend to read fiction much faster, but as I argued in the past, for me non fiction is meat and potatoes stuff and fiction is like candy, and who doesn't rush through their candy?


Well I am going to scoot, I have three games of Words with Friends going on at the moment. I am new to the Facebook app, though it is a lot like Scrabble, but with no time limits, you can leave the game and come back a day or so later and play a word . It is cool like that. I have completed 3 games so far, 1 win and 2 losses and just checked and my opponent in one game just played a 52 point word. Can I get a 1 and 3 from the congregation? Hallelujah and all that jazz.

6 comments:

  1. I can't read 2 books at the same time. I think I would start to confuse the books. Cool that you can read that many at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't, because then I never finish any of them but I didn't want to be on the bus without reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the luxury of a bus. It would be great to be able to walk out and catch one. Dealing with traffic every day sucks. I think the nearest bus stop for me is like 3 miles away and then it doesn't go near where I have to go. Being outside the city sometimes has a disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW you're welcome on the winning WWF. I have a great vocabulary but wretched strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually our game is still going on, the one win I had was against one of my best friends from high school. But I am in the process of getting my ass kicked again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just played some random word with a friend of mine and it was 105 points. I nearly had a heart attack. I should stop playing now just because I will never be able to top that

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been