Monday, September 26, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 266 - The glog is back, Steelers - Colts

 

Don't mind me, I am just getting settled in here. Between checking football scores on my fantasy teams (all three are doing okay so far) and making vegetable soup in the kitchen I am a little bit back and forth at the moment. Plus for the first time in ages I am actually on the desktop as opposed to the laptop. Not that that is bad, though the desktop had been running slower of late, I ran a defrag the other morning before heading out to work and it seems to have sped things up a bit. It's not perfect but it is better. Plus I still have this copier/fax/scanner thing right next to my keyboard that is somewhat cramping my style, if not my overall ability to type.


Part of the reason I am on the desktop is that tonight will be the first glog of the NFL season. For those that are new around here, a glog is a game blog, the term stolen from the fine people at Sportsline.com. Usually that means I blog during a live sporting event, in this case it will be the Steelers-Colts game this evening. Unlike traditional glogs though, these tend to turn into stream of consciousness things, where I talk about the game, the commercials, anything else that crosses my mind.


Not that football was the only thing happening today, the Pirates had a home game. I only make mention of it because it was the game that I got my cousin Sarah tickets for. And thankfully she was able to go, she was sending Facebook updates from the game. I was afraid that, not knowing her schedule, a Sunday afternoon game might not work out but apparently it did. It was another of those goodies that I got from work, and while technically they were given to me, I knew she was hoping to get to a game this year, so I in turn gave her the tickets.


This is my last real day off for a while. Technically I am sure I have at least one day off on the schedule next week, but as I blogged about yesterday, I want to try and get some extra hours in by getting caught up on some additional projects at work. That way I have some additional cash for the hockey game on the 13th. I think I am about to start a countdown clock until faceoff, but I will wait until I actually have the tickets in my hand. I have already jumped the gun a tad bit by asking Dee when I don't have the tickets just yet, but Fred has been very good about the things he promises the store, so I have the utmost confidence he will come through. He was good on his word last year regarding hockey tickets and he also brought two autographed photos of Max Talbot that he promised. What makes the pictures cool is they are pictures of Talbot scoring the game winning goal in the Stanley Cup final against Detroit. In that regard the photo itself would be cool, the fact Max signed them (more Superstar treatment) only makes them better. The only bad thing is that Talbot left the team this off season, signing an offer with the Philadelphia Flyers. I am sure that will put him on the dislike list for many Pens fans, but I just appreciate what he did here. Much like Jaromir Jagr, there are plenty here that don't like him, I am not one of them.


Well we are about one hour before kickoff now and I see that on my desk are three quarters . No I am not going to get all superstitious, rather I need those for laundry that I have to do later. So in that regard I will take a certain amount of pleasure in that find.


I was listening to the radio earlier but I had to turn it off when the Steelers pregame show started. Not that I have anything against the Steelers per se, I actually like them, but again it is just too much when your pregame show on the radio starts four hours before the game is played. The thing is, with an 8:30 pm kickoff, the game tonight will probably not end till around 11:30 or so, which means the radio post game show will end somewhere around 2am. Sorry but my life doesn't revolve that much around the Steelers.


I did sneak out earlier for a little walk, keeping that Sunday project alive. I wasn't out for too long, but I still managed to find 8 more Coke caps and a code off of a 20 pack as well. So that helps in my quest to get the Ipod at 1500 points. I am now around 1050. I didn't think I would get there before the end of the year, now I am not so sure I can't pull this thing off.


I just looked and I will be moving on in the Survivor pool I am entered into. San Diego did beat Kansas City so I make it to week #4. I used the Cardinals in Week #1 and the Steelers in Week #2 So I still have some of the bigger name teams left (Green Bay, New England, New Orleans for example) so I will have to look at the schedule and see if I can't come up with another winner for next week.


The soup is done. Nothing too fancy, just a batch of vegetable soup with some egg noodles thrown in for good measure. That should provide some game time tasty goodness. I certainly made enough of it. So I will have plenty for the next couple of days. And there is plenty of white pepper in it, so it has plenty of kick to it.


Just checking my fantasy football scores before I settle in to start glogging. In the league I am playing for money I probably have my first win, I have a 42 point lead and my opponent doesn't have anyone in the last two games (tonight, tomorrow night) whereas I still have the Steelers kicker, so I might get another point or two, but that game is pretty much over. I needed a win there too, an 0-3 start and I could pretty much consider my $50 entry fee a donation. In Jade's league I am in pretty good shape as well, I have a 71 point lead, with a handful of players still playing and tonight she has Rashard Mendenhall from the Steelers, I have Santanna Moss from the Redskins on Monday night. I will not call it a win just yet, but I like my chances. Lastly in my Madden league I have already won by 34+ points, I say plus because we use fractional points in that league, the actual score was 108.84-74.36. So I have a good shot in the last two leagues of starting the year 3-0. Why can't those be the leagues I am playing for money in?


The bad thing about eating soup this evening is now I am very warm. Not that it is too warm outside, I would argue it is quite comfortable, but the bad side effect of too much white pepper I suppose is that I am starting to sweat.


Waiting for the game to start here and just saw a commercial for the movie “Real Steel”. Why does this movie look like nothing but a cheap knock off of that old children's toy, “Rock Em Sock Em Robots”? Am I missing something here. Oh well, at least I am getting a few things done prior to game time, like eating and reading new messages and commenting where appropriate, I will save the inappropriate stuff for personal messages.


I had mentioned last week that I got a Cuban cigar from work and had planned on smoking it, but as is sometimes the case with me, I didn't. So instead I will be going all Cuban during the football game this evening instead. Which beats going all commando during the game, not that I am expecting company any time soon, but even at home by myself I at least wear boxers around the house.


Okay, just about underway here, we have sat through that horrid Faith Hill opening sequence so we are just about underway. Which means I better get my stats window open here for reference as well. Truth be told, I am sure this game looked much better when the schedule first came out than it does now. Pittsburgh is coming off of a Super Bowl appearance and Indianapolis has one of the best quarterbacks in the game in Peyton Manning. Except Pittsburgh looked downright awful in losing in week one to the Baltimore Ravens, turning the ball over 7 times, and Peyton Manning is still out after having a third surgery on his neck, the Colts in his absense have started the year 0-2 including a loss last week to the Cleveland Browns. Nobody will mistake the Browns as an offensive juggernaut. So tonight's game may be the season for the Colts, start the season 0-3 and they really have an uphill climb to catch the Houston Texans in their division, who are 2-1 including a week one win over the Colts.


I have my second bowl of soup, my cigar, a 2 liter bottle of RC Cola and I think I am ready to get this thing started.


Pittsburgh will get the ball to start the game and start from their own 20 yard line after a touchback on the opening kickoff.


First play of the game and Roethlisberger runs a play action pass and finds Mike Wallace for 18 yards and a first down. A promising start to their first possession. Two play later it is Roethlisberger to Wallace again on a screen pass and Wallace takes off for a 30 yard gain. Two more plays, an incomplete pass and a Mendenhall run force Pittsburgh into a 3rd down and 8 and the pass down the middle goes into and out of the hands of Emanuel Sanders so Pittsburgh settles for a 48 yard field goal from Shaun Suisham and an early 3-0 lead.


By the way, the soup is very tasty. It really isn't much, I took some chicken broth, added some water and 7 chicken bullion cubes, one bag of egg noodles and one frozen bag of veggies (peas, green beans, carrots, corn) and added a little ground black pepper, ground salt and white pepper and taa daa, we have eats.


Indianapolis has the ball and they will start their first drive from their own 15 yard line and on first down it is Kerry Collins finding his tight end Dallas Clarke for 6 yards. Two plays later and it is Collins finding Reggie Wayne for a short gain that is good enough for the first down.


Commercial break and we are subjected to a stupid Coors Light commercial. If this is what Jim Mora is relegated to than I never want to see him on an NFL sideline again.


And we are back, the Colts are facing a third and eight and Collins pass is short and nowhere close to its intended target so the Colts will punt the ball back to Pittsburgh. Change of possession, that means another commercial break and for me it means time to hit the RC Cola. I don't know, I don't like RC as much as Pepsi, but I do like it better than Coke and since we sell it for 60 cents less a bottle at work, I will go RC if I have to.


Pittsburgh with the ball and on first down it is Mendenhall for a 2 yard run. Not much better on second down, he loses two on that carry and Pittsburgh is looking at 3rd and 10. And like the route that Sanders ran earlier, Roethlisberger throws down the seam but this time it is to Antonio Brown who catches it and Pittsburgh has a first down. Two plays get three yards and Pittsburgh has another 3rd and long, this time 7 yards. And what looks like a miscommunication, Roethlisberger throws behind Mike Wallace so Pittsburgh is forced to punt and it is still Pittsburgh 3-0.


While I could spend time commenting on commercials again during this break, instead I used the opportunity to drop a quick message on my cousin Sarah's Facebook page, just to apologize for giving her tickets to a Pirate loss. Not that that is uncommon when you have 19 straight losing seasons, but hope springs eternal that on those days where you or someone you know ventures to the ballpark that the heavens may open, the seas part and the Pirates actually win a game.


By the way, the Colts are looking at 3rd and 8 here and Collins is able to step up into the pocket and find Pierre Garcon on a crossing route for a first down.



Three plays get 8 yards and last I checked you needed 10 for a first down so the Colts will be all kinds of punty here, so Pittsburgh will get the ball for a third time while still holding a 3-0 lead.


Great, my luck as I am working on this glog I get a Words with Friends request. Oh well, I will get to that when I can, right now this takes precedence. I just hope it doesn't go all OT on me, the game will be long enough as it is. Then again, overtime doesn't seem likely as Roethlisberger hooks up on a long pass with Wallace again, who got behind everyone for an 81 yard touchdown pass. Pittsburgh 10-0. We haven't even gotten out of the first quarter and already Mike Wallace has 129 yards receiving.


The ensuing kickoff gets returned and Indianapolis brings it out to their own 25 yard line. First down and Troy Polamalu jumped the snap count on Kerry Collins, almost getting a sack. Some of you may remember last year when he did the very same thing to Collins when Collins was in Tennessee. Well that drive sucked ass, three plays, maybe a yard and Indianapolis will punt again.


Pittsburgh on first down, this time a much shorter pass, only a yard or two to David Johnson. Second down and Mendenhall continues his uninspiring start, no gain on the carry, he has 6 rushes for 4 yards. But on third down and nine it is Roethlisberger finding his tight end for 12 yards and that play will end the first quarter. For those not paying attention, it is Pittsburgh 10 Indianapolis 0.


Second quarter underway, I got a couple of Words with Friends games out of the way, I am in 5 different games right now. It is starting to get a little confusing to be sure. So far I win about half of the time on that Facebook app. Which I guess is okay. Not great, not bad.


By the way, Pittsburgh had a 3rd and 8 and again Pittsburgh converts, an 18 yards pass from Roethlisberger to Brown. Roethlisberger is already approaching 200 yards passing and we are barely into the second quarter.


Pittsburgh again facing a long 3rd down, 3rd and 11 to go, but Pittsburgh has been doing well in these situations up to this point. Not this time though, as Roethlisberger is hit from behind and fumbles the ball and the Colts recover right around midfield. For Roethlisberger, that is his third fumble this year, to go with 3 interceptions.


Second down and Collins has Garcon open down the field and Garcon drops it. Al Michaels says that Garcon is a good receiver after the drop. Maybe he is, except when he is not. But Collins finds Collie on third and eight to keep the Colts drive alive.


Another first down and the Colts might be looking to take advantage of the Pittsburgh turnover, they are inside the Pittsburgh 30 yard line here with a first down. And Joseph Addai makes it a third first down on this drive and the Colts are down to the 18 yard line. Another first down on a swing pass to Reggie Wayne and Indianapolis has a first down inside the 5 yard line. Nice drive by the Colts so far. And on first and goal they get called for holding and that will back up the Colts by 10 yards.


So first and goal from the 12 yard line and it starts with Addai carrying the ball for maybe a couple of yards. Second down Collins hooks up with Dallas Clark down to the three yard line, so in two plays the Colts almost made back what they lost on the penalty. And third down the pass is incomplete, so the Colts will settle for a short field goal, which will cut the lead to 10-3.


The Colts kickoff and again it goes for a touchback so Pittsburgh will start from their own 20. Two plays and Pittsburgh picks up 20 yards, 16 of it on a pass between Roethlisberger and Brown. Third down and long again for Pittsburgh, 13 to be exact and again Pittsburgh converts as Roethlisberger again finds Brown for a first down. Don't look now, but even Brown has 75 yards receiving.


Of course the success of the Steeler drive is short lived, as again Roethlisberger is hit from behind as he attempts to pass and again he fumbles, this time however the Colts are able to pick up the ball and run with it, Jamaal Anderson rumbles (and given his size, rumble is appropriate) 47 yards for the tying touchdown. Game on! 10-10.


If this keeps up, Roethlisberger is going to have a David Kreig like season when it comes to holding onto the football. Pittsburgh gets the ball back on the ensuing kickoff, again they will start from the 20 and one play later the Colts have the ball on a Ben Roethlisberger interception. The subsequent return and an additional 15 yard penalty and the Colts are all the way down inside the 15 yard line of Pittsburgh.


Two plays, one pass and one run, tally 5 yards and the Colts will have 3rd and 5 from the the 7 yard line and the 3rd down pass is well over the heads of everyone in the endzone, including the intended receiver. The Colts instead settle for a field goal, but the kick is enough to give the Colts a 13-10 lead. The Colts, not exactly known for putting points on the board, have scored 13 points in 4 minutes and 25 seconds.


Another kickoff and a quick kneel down on first down my Roethlisberger (at least he didn't fumble) and that is it for the first half with the Colts leading 13-10.


Halftime, time for me to commence with the cutting of the Cuban. Ahh yes, the taste of a good cigar. This may go on my list of 'Things that are better than sex”, right up there with a fresh towel from the dryer after showering. And the cracking of my neck when my body is releasing stress.


.Okay, second half is about to get underway. Since Pittsburgh had the ball first in the first half, it will be the Colts who will have the first possession in this half, starting from their own 28 yard line.


Three plays and the Colts have the first first down of the second half on a short pass from Collins to Collie. But two consecutive incomplete passes after that and the Colts are looking at a third down and ten. The pass from Collins to Collie will be close, it will probably be a measurement for a first down, and it is just enough to keep the Colts drive alive. First down. But the Colts do nothing on the next two play, creating another 3rd down, this time 11 yards to go and the third down pass is incomplete, so Pittsburgh will get the ball back after a punt for their first possession of the second half.


Pittsburgh will start their drive pinned back a bit, from their own 14 yard line.


And we are back to how the game started, Roethlisberger finding Wallace for a first down. On the very next play we see something we didn't see in the first half, a 15 yard Mendenhall run. I think the Steelers rushing total just doubled on that carry. Two more Mendenhall runs leave Pittsburgh with a 3rd down and inches and a quarterback sneak is good enough to keep the Pittsburgh drive going.


First down and it's Issac Redman getting his first carry, for no gain. One incomplete pass and we have a 3rd and 10 for Pittsburgh, and Roethlisberger steps up into the pocket to avoid the rush and finds Heath Miller for a first down to keep this drive alive. 10 plays so far on this possession for Pittsburgh.


Two plays, a run for minus 1 and a pass for 5 yards and Pittsburgh has a third down and 6 and a short pass completion for only 2 yards will force a fourth down. Shaun Suisham comes on for the 36 yard field goal attempt to tie the game, but the kick hits the upright and is no good. Somewhere Jeff Reed is punching a paper towel dispenser in glee. Indianapolis still leads 13-10.


The Colts take over possession from their won 26 yard line. The drive is short lived however, a quick three and out for the Colts so Pittsburgh will get the ball back.


Something that I thought about during the last commercial break, back when they were running a promotion for the new comedy “Whitney”, starring Whitney Cummings. How stupid are comedians? Because when you think about how many shows where the lead character is named the same name as the comedian (Whitney, Seinfeld, Bob Newhart , Everybody Loves Raymond to name a few) one has to think that they are too stupid to remember a name other than their own.


By the way, Pittsburgh takes over this possession on their own 22 yard line and it takes them just a few plays before Pittsburgh is already down to their own 38. And the clock runs out on the third quarter with the Colts still leading 13-10. Have to say, if Pittsburgh goes on to lose this game, I don't think you can pin this on the defense, so far they have allowed 93 yards passing and 48 yards rushing. Those types of numbers should win you most games.


The fourth quarter is underway and it starts off in a rather bad fashion for Pittsburgh, a 10 yard holding penalty. A short pass to Heath Miller and Pittsburgh is left with a 3rd down and 18 yards to go, yet Roethlisberger finds Sanders for a first down and the Steeler drive continues.


Three plays get nothing and Suisham is on to try another field goal, this from 44 yards out and it is good and the game is tied again, 13-13. Good god, I hope my thought about overtime earlier doesn't prove prophetic.


Pittsburgh kicks off and its a touchback so the Colts will take over possession on their own 20 yard line. Into the game at quarterback will be one Curtis painter for the Colts. Collins left with what is being called a concussion at this point, though injury reports during the game are sketchy at best. Let's not kid anyone, Collins was hardly effective, 29 pass attempts and only 93 yards. That, my friends, is just awful.


Two plays, both running plays get the Colts about 6 yards, leaving a third down and 4. And Curtis Painter's first pass attempt is an overthrow of a wide open Garcon that easily would have went for a big gain. Instead the Colts are forced to punt and the 44 yard punt is returned 37 yards by Antonio Brown, who continues to have a decent game for Pittsburgh, so the Steelers will take over with a first down at the Colts 33 yard line.


I start the Steelers possession by getting me a pack of peanut butter crackers. Sorry, but I was getting all snacky.


As for Pittsburgh, 2 plays net 2 yards, so it is 3rd and 8 and haven't we seen this before. Check that, make that 3rd and 13 after an illegal formation penalty on Pittsburgh. And Ben Roethlisberger makes his fourth mistake of the game, taking a sack that will leave Pittsburgh out of field goal range and force them to punt. The punt goes into the endzone, so the Colts get the ball back on their own 20 yard line and we will see Curtis Painter V2.0.


Good god, now I know why I don't do this more often, I have seven pages to proofread before I can post this damn thing. The spell checker in Open Office is good, but not as good as Microsoft Word. That's what you get for freeware I guess.


Two plays by the Colts, both running plays and the Colts have a first down. Maybe that is the answer, never let Painter throw the ball. Painter drops back to pass on second and 10 and ten and this time the blame is squarely on Dallas Clark, who drops the pass. Third down and Painter throws his third incompletion, leading to another Colts punt. Antonio Brown again with a good punt return, 25 yards, so Pittsburgh will take over with a first down on their own 35 yard line.


First down and Roethlisberger throws a quick pass to Sanders for 3 yards. Another ineffective Mendenhall run brings up 3rd down and 8. The Colts defense stiffens and Pittsburgh will be forced to punt after a quick three and out.


So we are left with an philosophical dilemma, which will happen first, the Colts will manage an actual drive or the Steeler offense will find a way to give away even more points. Stay tuned.


I hope I never need to take a boner pill. The list of potential side effects is so great that I think I would rather be bonerless.


There you go, why Curtis Painter is not the Colts quarterback, he drops back to pass on 2nd down and three and is hit and coughs it up and Troy Polamalu picks up the fumble and runs it in for a Pittsburgh touchdown. Pittsburgh 20 Indianapolis 13.


Pittsburgh kicks off after the defensive touchdown and it is a touchback, so the Colts will start on their own 20. More Curtis Painter action is coming. Wait, he completed a pass. A short little 4 yarder, but a completion nonetheless. On third and three it is a three yard pass for a first down.


The very next time Painter hits Garcon on a decent throw downfield and dare I say the Colts may be looking at an actual drive. Another completed pass to Garcon and the Colts have moved down to the Pittsburgh 25. First down and Addai goes for 12 yards and another first down at the Steeler 13 yard line. Another completed pass by Painter to Garcon brings up 3rd and 2 and Addai sneaks into the end zone for the Colts touchdown. With the extra point we are back to being tied, 20-20.


Pittsburgh gets the ball back, with a 2.09 remaining and starting on their own 20 yard line. First down and a quick pass to Wallace gets 5 yards and we have reached the two minute warning. More commercials, yay!!!


A pass to Hines Ward gets Pittsburgh a first down. After an incompletion on first down, Roethlisberger finds Mewelde Moore for the first time tonight and Moore scampers 22 yards for a first down. First and 10 and Roethlisberger drops back to pass again but instead scrambles forward and gets 11 yards and another first down. With 1:13 remaining Pittsburgh calls timeout with a first and ten from the Colts 30 yard line.


First down and Moore get the handoff and gets 5 yards on the carry. The Colts call timeout, in hopes of keeping some time on the clock should Pittsburgh score here, as they are well within field goal range. Another Moore carry gets 4 yards, leaving a third and 1. Rashard Mendenhall take note, this is how you run between the tackles. 3rd and 1 and the carry goes to Issac Redman, who gets 3 yards and the first down, so Pittsburgh will run the clock down here and perhaps just try for the game winning field goal.


Timeout Pittsburgh and on comes Shaun Suisham to attempt a 37 yard field goal to win with 8 seconds left. The kick is up and good, Pittsburgh leads 23-20 with 4 seconds remaining.


The kick goes through the endzone so the Colts will start on their own 20 and have basically one shot to get down the field for the win, or at least a penalty for a possible tie. But Painter pass is neither deep nor accurate, short hopping its intended target and Pittsburgh wins, 23-20. Not exactly a pretty effort by Pittsburgh, but a win is a win. Okay, time for a spell check and proofread and then I am outtie, like a belly button.

4 comments:

  1. My fantasy team seems to be sucking wind but Yeah! The Steelers won. For a while I thought we might not. I think this proves Roethlisberger did not rape anyone. Since he got married and is getting some his head has not been on the game. I am still pissed about the loss to Baltimore. I hate their smug, thinking this was the same as a Superbowl win, just because they beat the Steelers. Ugh! Living in Baltimore I hate happy Raven's fans! They are an obnoxious bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the offensive line went out of their way last night to not block anyone. It was actually appropriate that Johnathon Scott would get hurt while getting run over by Robert Mathis, as that seemed to be what he was doing all night. Not that I was rooting for an injury, but I was left wondering could anyone play any worse than that. And don't get me started on Rashard Mendenhall and his gift for not actually hitting a hole and driving the pile forward. I am so tired of seeing him try to dance into the hole or do that stupid spin move (one would think that he learned a couple of years ago when Ray Lewis broke his shoulder when he attempted that nonsense, but alas Mendenhall apparently used the time to study why Osama bin Laden was so misunderstood). It speaks volumes that on the games most important drive Mendenhall was sitting on the bench watching Mewelde Moore and Issac Redman get the important carries.
    As bad as Rothelisberger has looked at times (5 fumbles and 4 INTs speaks volumes) without him I am not sure the offense moves the ball all that much better than the Colts did last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year in Rothelisberger's penis induced vacation from football the game were outright painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the defense kept them in those games, they did go 3-1 in his absense last year. But if that had been Charlie Batch behind that line last night, we may very well be reading about a funeral this morning, they were that bad. And with the running game making Joseph Addai's effort look Herculean by comparison. I imagine we would be talking about a 1-2 Steeler team today and not a 2-1 one.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been