Monday, October 24, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 292 - Happy places

Good evening kids. I would say there is a lot to report, but then I would be lying. And while there is lots of different things one can garner from my page, lies aren't one of them. If you want that kind of thing, might I suggest the Weekly World News? They can tell you what extraterrestrial creature Hillary Clinton is sleeping with this week.

As for me, well I am just sitting here in relative quiet. The TV is off, the radio is off. It is one of those times where you can actually hear things if you try hard enough. When I was a kid I used to do that all the time, just go outside and find a nice, quiet secluded spot. Then do nothing but listen. The relative smallness of my hometown (population 300 and change) meant that you could actually listen for miles. There would be times that a car may go past and if you listened closely enough you could hear the car upwards of a mile after it had passed you. But I would sit out there and just try my hardest to find a spot where I couldn't hear anything. It would never work, I would always hear something. Maybe it would be my own breathing, but there was always some semblance of sound.

Tonight isn't quite that peaceful, just because I no longer live in that small of a town. Now I hear myself typing, the refrigerator humming in the kitchen, a neighbor putting garbage outside, a helicopter coming in to UPMC up the street, crickets chirping, even the occasional college student yelling. There are no real secluded spots within the city, at least none that I found yet. This is as peaceful as I can possibly hope for within an urban setting.

I got a message today, Ed misses me. He is on his winter break in Florida, but he still stays in contact with the store on a pretty regular basis, usually calling to bug Dee, who has taken up a large portion of the responsibilities Ed left behind. Sure I see Brian more often now and John has certainly added to his responsibilities as well, but it is Dee who has assumed the burden of most of the heavy lifting. She has taken over the ordering from the outside vendors that Ed used to do, as well as the scheduling and a few other tasks. Anyway on his last call to Dee to check up on things he told her that he misses me. Now if I had a cell phone I am sure he would be blowing it up with concerns about the store, it is just another reason not to have one as far as I am concerned, but I do miss him and his willingness to just be more hands on than Brian is on the day to day operations of the store.

As for me, well I am just peachy. I am happy, very happy actually. Perhaps the happiest I have been in a long time, which seems to make the day to day frustrations I sometimes bitch about on the page just pale in comparison. It is almost like the episode of Seinfeld where George started doing everything opposite and everything started working out. Is this the opposite Matt blog now? I don't know. Maybe. Whatever it is, I like it.

Makes for bad blogging material to be sure. If you thought me whining and bitching was bad, how much is it going to suck if I start being positive all the time? Your recommended daily allowance of grumbling may have to come from other sources, because I have little to grumble about. I can't even bitch about my fantasy football teams because they all won this weekend (7-0, 5-2, 2-5). I don't know what to do.

Really though, if the best I can do is say that I have no ideas because I am happy, well I guess that is a pretty damn good place to be in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy. First the Colts had their asses handed to them. Being a former Colts fan nothing is better then one for the record books...for the Saints that is! Then the Steerlers won. Always a good thing. Follow that up with the Raven's falling apart on Monday night football giving the Steelers first place int he division at the moment...another sweet moment. Now this morning in Baltimore everyone is talking about the bad officials - they are always to blame in Baltimore when the Raven's win. It has to be the bad calls by the officials because the Raven's can't lose. It all gives me a warm fuzzy Steelers had a good week feeling. Lets keep this feeling going. The Pens play tonight. A win against the Islanders would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been