Saturday, October 1, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 272 - Working weekend

I'll try to be brief, seeing as how the midnight hour is fast approaching. I would have like to have settled in for this entry sooner, but as luck would have it I ended up pulling a 14.5 hour shift at work. I wasn't planning on it being quite that long, but admittedly what I did needed done and it will not hurt the paycheck none.


The plan was to go in and work on getting stuff put into the system, items that previously did not scan. Sammy wanted to do breakfast this morning, it was his turn to buy so I wasn't complaining, though I probably would have went somewhere whether he was going or not. Instead it was a Deluca's run, which was much needed if for no other reason than for the coffee, though the food was quite good and filling. It turned out to be handy given how long my shift turned out to be.


I managed to get a large portion of the bottled sodas into the system, but the main thing I ended up getting done was getting rid of all of the useless items and codes from the system. If I never see a bar code again, I can't say I would miss it at this point. Of my 14.5 hours, probably a good 11 of it was spend in front of a computer just looking at bar codes and deleting items that were put in wrong originally, or items that we don't even carry that were left in there. We literally had items still in the system from a dairy provider that we haven't used in at least 4 years. And cigarettes that I am not even sure are available anymore. Kent? Vantage?


Of course when I have to rip stuff out of the system, it slows down the rest of the system, including the registers because our system is so out of date that they don't have the memory to do updates as fats as I am making them. As a result the registers pause between registers, trying to process all of the information going into them. I am hoping they are done updating by Monday morning, but given how much I changed I can't say for certain that will be the case.


Anyway, I am off for some nap time I think. Getting out the door at 6am and getting in after 11pm makes for a very tired me. And I still haven't checked my email yet. Thankfully I get to sleep in tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I've still seen Kent's available for sale here.

    Hope your register staff aren't too pissed at you come Monday...

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been