Friday, July 15, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 196 - Fini

For those that didn't read yesterday's entry, this is picking up literally right where that left off, so you would best be served to go back and read that one first. For those that did read it, we are starting right where that left off right about now......

The other issue with my left leg is that my knee is still swollen on it. Not swollen in a painful kind of way, heck I didn't even realize it was swollen until one day a couple of months ago when I happened to be sitting in my recliner with the foot rest up and my legs were extended in front of me and I had a "What the hell is that?" type moment. For the most part I have had no reason to pay it any mind, but for a slight moment while playing it did become and issue. While trying to track down a ball and make a play on it that knee buckled slightly, not a full blown collapse or anything, and truth be told I doubt anyone but me even realized anything happened, but I could feel it give ever so slightly before returning to it's previous condition. And it didn't keep me from playing, we ended up with enough people for three teams, so we always had two teams on the court and one off to the side, doing line calls and officiating and what not.

We finished up around 10pm, then I ran to the grocery store which is located about two blocks from the Jewish Community Center, which is where the gym is that we were using.

I just needed a couple of things to work on something else that I had planned, something that almost didn't get done because I literally fell asleep with about 5 minutes of posting yesterday.

Dee had been complaining at work that she hadn't been feeling good recently. Not deathly ill mind you, she still seemed to be relatively functional. I think a lot of it had to do with being run down, because while Ed has been away for a week now, he still calls the store at least 10 times a day, and those calls almost always are to Dee. Sure Brian will get a few, but by and large Dee is the one that is fielding the majority of those calls and the number and frequency with which he calls is enough that again I am glad I don't have a cell phone. Because Brian isn't that much of a hands on kind of guy, much more of the day to day operation burdens have fallen to Dee and John, just making their jobs even more complicated that they usually are.

The thing is though that Dee is on vacation for a week, starting with the end of her shift today at work. I think her and Bill (she refers to him as Bill, Ed refers to him as Billy, the "I wonder why that is" portion of my brain wonders if there isn't some passive aggressive-ly thing going on with Ed) are going to Florida for a week.

So I go to the grocery store and get what needed getting and hopped a bus back to Oakland and was in my apartment by roughly 10:45pm, which is when i started what has become a long winded blog about nothing. And I banged out my entry for yesterday and proceeded to fall asleep. For about two hours, I was back up at 2am getting all functional and stuff and by 3am I was working in the kitchen, a skillet in one corner doing some cooking, a pot with boiling water in another corner, me getting all choppy with some veggies on a cutting board. By about 5am I had finished my little project, so I climbed in the shower and tried to shake some of the soreness and stiffness off (it didn't work, I was useless until about 1pm today from a physical standpoint) and got my laptop and my goodies all gathered up for work and headed out to the bus stop to greet yet another day where I got almost no sleep overnight.

I stopped at my corner store to get my morning coffee, it helped but it didn't. It helped wake me up, but also made me even more aware of how poorly my 42 year old body responded to yesterday's abuse of 305 cases being delivered and 3 hours of volleyball on top of that.

I gte into work, set up my laptop in the office, tuck my goodies away in the office fridge and proceed to get another fine day of serving the empire underway. Three invoices were on my desk by 10am, a Coke order had been delivered and I was stocking coolers when Dee finally made her way to the office. Before she could get there I stopped her and said, "If you look in the fridge you will see homemade chicken noodle soup, because I am not sending you on vacation sick," Then for good measure I tossed in, "because that's the way I roll."

For the rest of the day I tried getting stuff done, though I seemed a step or three slow on most things, eventually everything did get done and by the end of the day Dee and I were alone in the office and she said that she appreciated the soup, it would be dinner this evening and if I needed anything over vacation I could call her, an offer she extended to the other managers as well. I just said, "Look, you aren't getting any calls from me, it's your vacation and I am not bothering you. Go enjoy yourself and don't even think about this place. Trust me, we will all be here when you get back." And after going over a couple of small things that need addressed while she is away I sent her on her merry way. I stuck around the office for just a bit longer, I was working on a minor issue with the register system that needed address and eventually it was. It is just one more thing I will need to finish off on Saturday morning when I make my way in, the hard part is done, I just need access to all of the registers on the floor and it will be easier on a Saturday morning than Friday afternoon when we are busier.

And with that I think I have caught us all up to date, which I would have done sooner but I got a healthy 4 hour nap in after work (please say I can still sleep tonight). I know I am going to try.

3 comments:

  1. Well done with the chicken soup chap! And you some hellacious sleep schedule. Lol. You need some motrin and a good long tub soak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I made a big pot of it, so Sammy and I had some as well, sort of the official taster role so that it wasn't too poisonous and we both lived.

    The sleep schedule thing I just can't get my head around, it seems like once I wake up I can't get back to sleep and normally I am up and down on a good night, now I am just up. Hopefully I took my nap early enough this evening that sleep will be easier tonight, though if it isn't I already have plans for what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a sleeper either so I completely get it. I usually can't get to sleep before 1 and I'm awake by 630. I can't say wide awake but not awake enough to get back to sleep. I'm glad you made good use of your time.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been