Thursday, July 14, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 195 - To be continued?

The title is for a simple reason, I don't know if I will be able to finish this entry in the allotted time.  I started playing in a volleyball league this evening, and it was supposed to run from 7pm-9pm, but we managed to get an extra hour of play time in, so I didn't finish until 10pm and then I still had to pick up a couple of things from the grocer store, so as I sit down to type it is closing in on 11pm.  I am stopping wherever I am before midnight, even if I am in mid sentence.  But before that time I will try to get as much done as in humanly or Mattily possible.

First I have to address something about my last entry, and while I doubt I am becoming an alcoholic (yay to that) the problem with me drinking as much as I have is that I find myself coming home and falling right asleep before I can get anything productive done.  Next thing I know I nam waking up at 11pm at night and not getting back to bed before reporting to work at 7am.  So this drinking thing has really crushed my sleep schedule beyond belief. 

This morning was no different, I got about three hours of sleep (8pm - 11pm) then was up all night and reported to work around 20 minutes to 7am.  That in itself would be bad news for me, what made it even worse was we had two big trucks come in, Pepsi with a load of 195 cases and Arizona Tea which brought another 110.  So I had to catch, then check in and finally put away 305 cases of product on three hours sleep.  Plus I still had my normal work to do, break down another 5 invoices that crossed my desk, place orders for us and Universal News for Friday and do another 3 cigarette orders on top of that.  So yea, my day was pretty jam packed. 

Possibly the highlight to my day however came when I was outside, taking some cardboard out for our Thrsday night recycling pick up, when I lady who I don't even know commented on the fact that she thought I lost weight.  Okay, if one person says it, it is nice but they are probably mistaken, but this is the fourth time in the last three weeks or so that I have heard it.  She also complimented me on my goatee (or as I call it, my "Mirror, Mirror" goatee) since apparently the last time she saw me I still had a full beard thing going.  For those not in the know, there is an episode of the original "Star Trek" series called "Mirror, Mirror: where the crew encounters their evil counterparts from another dimension/timeline, the difference between the two Enterprise crews, besides one is good and one is evil is that the evil counterparts all have goatees, so I have latched onto the notion that my goatee gives me the right to be a dick if I want, and if anyone questions it I just tell them they are dealing with "Mirror, Mirror Matt".

And it was cool because life in the office today was actually pretty pleasant, at least for me.  Not that it has been bad the last few days, but today was probably the best it has been since last Friday.  Though Dee is being constantly pestered by Ed, I swear he is calling her at least 10 times a day.  The man takes a two week vacation from the store and you would swear we hear more from him now than when he is actually there.  It is quite frightening.  Hell, he still even ordering stuff while not there, I had a surprise cigarette order show up today.  Of course because Eddie doesn't have all of the books and numbers with him, it ended up being wrong and I snapped on the people that gave it to him while he was away.  Basically I said, the next time a cigarette order doesn't go through my desk, since I do all of the ordering from Sledd anyway, then you are getting whatever mistakes Eddie orders for you, I am not swapping stuff out of my inventory  because you wouldn't let me handle it right the first time.  "Mirror, Mirror Matt".

But that was about the only thing that truly went wrong today, most everything else went okay or right.  And I will admit I was somewhat geeked about the chance of playing volleyball again on a regular basis which probably contributed to my good mood.  And most everyone that plays is around my skill level, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, but there is a huge chasm in actual ability.  Of course the fact I haven't touched a volleyball in at least three years meant I sucked.  Badly.  On the plus side I did have the last kill of the night, but that might have been my only highlight.  I am certainly not moving up to real game speed yet and was caught flat footed too many times.  And my passing was atrocious. 

Did I mention that my body is sore?  Very, very sore?  The worst is probably my left leg, which I have been having issues with for a while now.  Two main issues really, one the heel of my foot has a pain in it, not  a consistent pain, but one where every now and again when I am walking it feels like somebody just drove a nail into the bottom of my foot.  At first I thought it might have been my shoes at the time, but a few months back I bought a new pair in hopes that would alleviate the suffering.  It didn't, and the shoes would be lucky to say they lasted three months before my feet had split out the sides of them.  And these weren't Payless Shoe Store crappy shoes, or they shouldn't have been, they were a name brand shoe (Avia) that basically couldn't hold up under the stress I put on my feet on a daily basis.

 

5 comments:

  1. you could have a heel spur, which is what I suffer from on and off. check out the stretching exercises http://orthopedics.about.com/od/treatments/ss/stretch.htm they really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fine until you said exercises. How am I do keep my manly physique if I have to do exercises?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well they didn't affect my manly physique :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...I was about to say it sounds like you have heel spurs or plantar fascitis. haha! medical terminology. look how sexy I am when I whip that out? Ok. Aside from the stretching...make SURE you stretch out your achilles tendon...its KEY with that. Also, get some heel cushions, they will help. it will take months for this to go away, and one day it will. It took about 3 for me and suddenly, gone. Also, try elevating your feet when you can and soak them in epsom salts at the end of the day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Triage nurse here. Does it hurt in the morning when you first step down on it or when you haven't been walking you have the stabbing pain. Then when you have been on your feet all day when you finally sit down it can be throbbing pain for a while? If so you have a bone spur. I haven't clicked on the link for the exercises but I'm pretty sure I have gone over then very same ones with people before. If you do them before you get up in the morning and off and on during the day the pain will go away and the calcium deposit will be reabsorbed. If not you could end up having surgery and being off your foot for 6-8 weeks.

    Great about the volley ball and someone saying they thought you have lost weight. Now that you are playing every Thursday you should lose more. Keep it up. If not age is a bitch and it catches all of us. I am still running away from it though.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been