Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 187 - Black and White

I don't get it.  The whole nonsense of the Casey Anthony trial.  Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning that which I believe she did, namely kill her kid because being a parent somehow interfered with her party girl lifestyle, nor do I think that her daughter in any way deserved her most gruesome fate, but all of this coverage?  Really?  For what is basically a local story run amok.  And let's not kids ourselves, that is exactly what it was.  The only reason that this story made any sort of national splash was that 1) the kid was a little white girl and 2) the defendant in this case was also a white female and relatively attractive.  That's it.  Had the kid been black the media wouldn't have wasted two minutes on a mistreated black baby that wound up dead, potentially at the hand of her mother.

I know, some people in the reading audience are already rolling their eyes at such a statement, as if I don't get the severity of what Casey Anthony was alleged to have done.  Really though I do, and I would ask just where the hell is the righteous indignation against Toriyanna Smith?  Who's that you ask?  Maybe this will help.  A mom smothers her kid and then takes the dead baby shopping.  But she's black so who really gives a fuck.  No need to put that on TV.   Might not skew to the right advertising demos.  And if we are anything as a nation, it is masters at the ability to sell soap.

But really, this is one of the scratch and sniff tests that I personally use to determine whether something is a story, or just sensationalism.  If the parties were of a different color, would the story receive the same treatment.

On that note I leave my Republican friends a little video, from a local rapper by the name of Jasiri X.  Not that I am a fan of his, but the message struck a cord.  What would have been the outrage when George Bush was President, if on his way to speaking engagements, blacks along the Presidential route had been packing.  Would the Rush Limbaugh's and Glenn Beck's of the world have said that they were just exercising their right to bear arms?  Or would there have been an outcry of a redeveloping Black Panther party? 

With that I give you "What if the Tea Party was Black?"  Goodnight everyone

 

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. There are some prejudices still so ingrained in society that it will take generations of re-education to even begin to rinse them out.
    I am watching this program now and it mirrors the outcry of the minorities.
    (This fat girl is going to find herself some gays).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdG3Fddy95Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been