Friday, July 8, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 189 - We are all in

 

Greetings once again kids. Here it is, with just an hour before I have to have this finalized for the day and I haven't even started yet. But at least I have something to talk about., which is cool. Usually I am not so fortunate.


I am doing okay with the additional job responsibilities at work. Actually I am almost caught up on my end of things. The only paperwork that I do not have done as of yet are the newspaper returns, which I am still waiting on the how to's from someone in the office so I don't mess up the paperwork too bad. But all of the older invoices that needed broken done for accounting purposes I have since finished, as well; as keeping the news ones broken down and off my desk, lest they start to pile up too much. I also have been granted the ever so fun job of now trying to keep two different computer systems up to date in the pricing department, as no one at Universal News has any clue on how to run their software, save for to scan items at the register. When it comes to actual price increases they are all but clueless. Enter me, and yay for that. Considering in the last week we got new pricing on all of our cigarettes, I am the guy who gets to do those, I have our store done, which also includes changing all of the behind the counter signage, now tomorrow as one of my tasks I get to do the same for Universal.


The only plus to all of this is for a change my paycheck may look quite decent, 14 hours on a holiday and what will be at least 4 or 5 hours tomorrow (after a hearty Deluca's breakfast) because I have a delivery coming in because of the holiday, and some other projects that I need to get to before the Art Institute kids come back from their break between quarters. IT has helped in that business hasn't been as busy, so I have had time to get things caught up on all of my new found responsibilities, but come Monday morning I will get a truer test to see if I am up to doing all of my old things and new things as well.


But I was so on the ball this week that I even got to do some things that are not part of my job description, and while they didn't have to be done, we are talking about me here, so of course they did get done.


Ed's wife Sharon had a stress test done earlier in the week and it wasn't the best of news, she was told that they needed to put a stent in in order to increase blood flow. Not unlike something Ed had done himself earlier in my Smithfield News career and Ed being Ed, he was of course back in his office chair just a couple of days later. But this isn't Ed and after they admitted Sharon to the hospital they ran a couple of more tests and decided that the stent wasn't called for, so they were getting all ready to release her when some sort of complications arose, I think she passed out or something, so they decided bto keep her a couple of days, just for more tests and observation. Well me being me, and having all of the crap on my desk done, I ask Ed if I can run a personal errand yesterday afternoon, I would be gone maybe ten minutes tops and he says no problem (which by the way, I knew he would) so I get all on the scheming side of me that I sometimes use and sneak off to place a phone call and around 2pm I leave to go take care of my personal matter, that being to buy his wife some flowers to take to the hospital. Because I am that guy sometimes.


Here is where I have to wonder what gets said at work about me though, I come back from the florist and am in the process of taking the flowers to the office and Belinda sees me and asks if the flowers are for Dee. Excuse me? I know I didn't tell her anything, not that I am mad at Belinda per se (of all of the people involved in the previous incident, she is the one that I can at least understand their motivation after all) but I asked why they would be for Dee, and she says she thought someone dropped them off or something. I say no, they are get well flowers for Sharon, nothing more.


So I get into the office and give the flowers to Ed, he thanks me for the gesture and says I didn't have to do it. Of course I didn't have to do it, I wanted to. Cause that's just the way I roll. Dee sees the flowers and says they are pretty and what not. And as it turns out, Dee ends up getting the job of delivering them, she is going to see Sharon before Ed.


So today I am still being thanked for the gesture, Ed says Sharon wants to thank me but she couldn't call because I don't have a phone (not true, I only don't have a cell phone, the land line still works great) but I say there is really no need. And I proceed to get a really good jump on all of the things I needed to do today, the price changes, breaking down 7 different invoices, getting the coolers restocked, placing the grocery order for Saturday (delayed a day because of the 4th), walking through an order with our 7 Up rep, fixing one of our Polar Shock machines (someone the previous night decided to let it run out without refilling it) and just being an on the ball kind of guy.


Before I could let all of the accomplishments rush to my head and make me feel like I was cooler than I am, I decided that I would do something less cool though, so I went ahead and printed up my secret 365 blog entry (the one that you SDR holders know all about) and folded it up and put it in an envelope. And yes, I added the comments as well. And just as I was getting ready to leave today, with everyone but Dee gone from the office (and I had to wait quite a while pretending to work for that moment), I hand the envelope to Dee and say “You might want to rethink how smart you think I am”. Yes, I have effectively shown her the page without letting anyone at work actually see it. Dee asks what was in the envelope and I say just some light reading material, then I duck out for the weekend. After reading and rereading that entry quite a few times, I can't see where there is anything all that damning in it and by the end of my comments I had pretty much come full circle to the point where I am content with the status quo, so I am thinking the worst case scenario will be that provide some good comedy for the weekend. Then again, who knows, maybe I will get fired instead. But as Ed would say, “it is what it is”. And what it is is now done.


And on that note I am calling it a night, I have 17 minutes to post this and I am getting hungry, very, very hungry and I haven't had dinner yet. What can I say, I am still not on a normal schedule, damn holidays anyway.

11 comments:

  1. I don't know about brave, it does kind of have that "passing notes in school" quality too it, but I was pretty sure I was going to show her the page at some point, even if I had pretty much asumed her intentions weren't what I had originally hoped or perceived them to be (and I have pretty much ruled that out at this point), but I couldn't just open my laptop on my desk and have her sit there and read it, that would have sparked curiousity amongst others, so the discreet envelope seemed to be the way to pass the page along. But then it also creates a paper trail, now anyone she wants to have read it can, but I am pretty content that there is nothing too damning there. Worst case scenario I embarass myself a little, and I have done that plenty of times before, it isn't a new feat by any stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I am on man vacation (although it turns out, at least one man...or two have shunned that and are 'above' being kicked out of my life as according to them) so I have no testosterone action-drama going on right now. so this who living vicariously through people is fun! now I know why people used to read my blog back when I was actually dating a lot and stuff. It was like watching a soap opera...

    what will matt do next? Will dee throw herself on him? Will she come throw a come hither look to him? What will he eat at delucas? The questions never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can answer one of those, I had the country grilled chicken breakfast; two grilled chicken breasts covered in sausage gravy and cheddar cheese, two eggs over easy, home fries, coffee and toasted italian bread. The rest I do not know, but even if I did I need to save some material for the next blog, otherwise I will be ruminating on Paul Ryan's budget proposal. I think I speak for many when I say "Ack and double ack!!!" to that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tune in tomorrow for As the World Turns. Will Dee or won't Dee....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure she won't, at least if I were a betting man that is where I would put my money. Not that I am giving away a spoiler for the next episode, but I had pretty much come to that conclusion before giving her the blog entry. The only reason I did was that she had been saying how smart I was and that I would be her office assistant (women with power, bring on the leather and leashes please), so I had to prove her wrong by doing something stupid and I think passing along the blog qualifies to a degree. It's sad when I am more interested in winning an argument than getting a date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch. I think I have done something similar. Of course with me I usually do something stupid when dating someone because when the relationship gets too serious I tend to freak out. I think I'm better at casual sex then committed relationship. Once I get to serious relationship I get scared I will screw up and I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just the opposite, better at the relationship than the casual sex. After a while casual sex gets boring, at least for me. Then again it has been so long maybe that has changed. Must investigate this further, lol. But usually after casual sex I find myself laying there and thinking "now what do we do?" I don't have that problem in a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great for the paycheck..always good when the chocking feeling of paying bills aint as tight.
    oh thats not a great thing but i hope stent surgery will go good if really needed in the end. its the most important organ in your body..

    ReplyDelete
  9. They ended up not doing a stent, but kept her fopr observation for an extra day or two because she wa having problems with her blot clotting and because she passed out at one point. But last I heard she was released on Friday and all seemed good when I talked to her on the phone (she finally did get in touch with me to say thanks for the flowers). As for the paycheck, I picked up an extra 5 hours on Monday (holiday pay, yay!) and another 10 this weekend. Maybe I will make a few pennies this week.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been