Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 186 - Invasion of the mole people

 

Greetings from the land of the mole people. That is what I call the basement at work sometimes, and since the office is in the basement, it most definitely qualifies. But the atmosphere isn't all bad, “Shadowboxer” by Fiona Apple is on Pandora after all, at least on my station. I have no idea what anyone else out there may or may not be listening too.


I will say that I survived my day at babysitting at work, but surviving might have been all I did. I got in very early, like 10am for a 3pm shift and it started off oh so well. Ed was here, so he and I were busy doing our respective things. I had a invoice to drop off that I finished on Saturday, plus there were a few other projects that I wanted to work on, including removing some more of the SKU numbers of useless junk from the system. And I made a pretty good dent in it too, I am probably better than halfway done, but at a cost, I again bogged the register system trying to keep up with my overwhelming quickness, and speed like that can impress the bosses when they are watching you get things done, when spending time alone intimate with a lady friend, maybe not so much.


But like I said I did get a good chunk of it done, and I also introduced Ed to the www.womenbehindbars.com website, so of course he had me send away for some prison penpals for him. He was even asking for people to act as hosts for the women, should they get out of prison and decide to come up here to stay. The deal isn't that bad really, Ed said he would chip in for their half of the rent, so I am thinking if I could be a prison chick host family, I could double the amount I spend on my apartment, since half of it would be covered anyway. You put be in a $1000 a month apartment and I am thinking that isn't half bad. I don't know about where you live, but a grand a month here could get you a pretty decent place.


Of course eventaully7 I had to quit playing around and take charge of this place, and at first it seemed to go okay. It wasn't busy, busy. I mean I was still turning a decent amount of sales, but we weren't swamped, which is good because the only person I had on the register with me has been with us maybe two weeks tops, mostly working in the deli. So she wasn't exactly the most experienced person on the register, and she had absolutely no lottery experience, so I was going to be handling that all on my own. And then a sign from the gods that I thought would be fortuitous, it started raining. If it held out for a significant amount of time, it would most certainly chase people away from the 4th of July festivities. But it didn't and they came in droves. By the time my shift ended I had probably turned over $2000 in business by myself, and I know that while Nicole doesn't have as much experience, she was doing okay in her won right.


Then of course came the balancing of the books and I can't get any of the numbers to match up. I could spend a portion of my night trying to figure out what all went wrong (I think I already have found a couple of fuck ups on my part) but I am just too tired. It is all I can do right now to not fall asleep in my office chair, something I am seriously considering at some point. I could get a couple of hours in before my next shift if I really want to.


Yuck I just went to the bathroom. Not here at the desk mind you, and I didn't have one of those mishaps that makes you wonder if you should be wearing “Depends”, but I went in to splash water on my face and there it was again. Not my face, but my mutant ability. See, when the question gets asked which type of super power would you like to have, lots of people say super strength, or invisibility or ESP, I don't have to pick, I already know the one I will get, that being superhuman ability to generate eye snot. I don't know why, but I fairly proficient at having that junk in my eyes, and I would imagine me and a super power would end up involving my ability to squirt it if I squinted my eyes, or something equally gross.


I will keep the rambling to a minimum. I am tired after all and in need of another Dunhill (when you care enough to smoke the very best) so I am off. To sleep, perchance to smoke, perchance to dream.

5 comments:

  1. I love that song. :) Sweet dreams Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't closed my eyes just yet. Then again I have only been here for 18 hours so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you passed out at some point. The nearly 4 AM comment was not a good sign on you getting enough sleep to be coherent today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. womenbehindbars? we all need a hobby but seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the page, just so I can read the profiles of the lifers. Because you know that to get life they pretty much had to kill their last significant other.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been