Sunday, July 3, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 184 - Saturday night, no fighting, get action elsewhere

 

Sorry if anyone feel cheated by the brevity of my last entry, but truth be told it was a pretty busy Saturday for me and I was worried that I wouldn't be getting home till late and not have a chance to blog. Which proved to be a correct assessment on my part, I didn't crack my apartment door till somewhere around 11pm, which would never have given me enough time to type all of the things I felt I needed or wanted to type. So you got a placeholder, just enough to let you know I hadn't forgotten about the page, but just didn't have the time to get to it either.


The day all started around 6:30am. I didn't set the alarm or anything, it was just the time I naturally woke up. It was probably a tad early for me on a day where I didn't have to be up so early, but not overly so. I had wanted to be up by 9am anyway, just so I could watch Wimbledon before going into work, getting up well before it just meant I had some time to kill. So I hop over to Facebook, just to see what is up and decide to get my Madden app up to date. It was a pretty good run for me, I finished my second collection of football cards, I now own all of the players for the Cincinnati Bengals, which gave me the Elite Chad Ochocinco card (96 +1), to add to my starting lineup.


After modifying my team in such a pleasant manner I decided that I would head off to Pamela's for breakfast. They open at 7:30am, I figure I can scarf down some food and still be back in plenty of time for the morning's tennis viewing. It also gave me an opportunity to do work on finishing the book I am currently on. It is one of my bad habits when I fly solo to breakfast, I have no problem sitting in the booth, getting all comfy and just reading. It is my coffee shop mentality, but with greasier offerings. So I end up having two eggs (over easy) lyonnaise potatoes, chorizo toast and coffee for breakfast and do a nice job putting a den6 in my book before coming back home and watching the women's final.


I can't say that I had much of a rooting interest in the final, I mean I knew Sharapova but I really didn't know her opponent all that well, I am just not an avid tennis follower.

But it was the final to a major, and I do try to sit down and watch those when my schedule permits. Now if it is the say International Harvester Dubuque Open, well I couldn't give a rat's ass about such a tournament, but if it is the French, Australian, US Open or Wimbledon, then I will sit down and try to enjoy it. Nor that there was much to enjoy here, Sharapova got run off the court pretty easily from my vantage point. I could have stayed and watched the next match, the men 's doubles final, but I will be honest, watching doubles tennis just doesn't cut it for me, the shot making isn't as good and the court just looks to cluttered with all of the people on it.


Instead I decided that I better get ready and head into work. I had some things planned that I wanted to get to. So back into the heart of Oakland I go, to catch a bus into downtown (I didn't bike because I had my laptop in tow, a bad habit that I started doing now that I officially have a desk) and see what kind of trouble I could cause at work. Friday I started to bog down the register system a bit, because I used a little bit of free time I had to work on fixing some of the things that were done wrong with the system many moons ago and I was getting things done in a fast enough manner that the registers upstairs were having a hard time keeping up, so they were starting to lag with all of the updates being done to their inventory. Dee finally asked me to stop, which is okay I guess, but it is just delaying the inevitable to an extent, this fixing is going to have to be done at some point, whether that be this week, next week, or next year otherwise the problems the system has will never fully be removed. But since this was Saturday and Dee wasn't there, I did manage top take another small bite of that apple, clearing up about another 6 or 7 sets of SKU numbers, basically deleting anything that was put in wrong to start with so I could start from scratch on those items, provided we even carry them anymore. I also managed to go through some of the candy and get it put into the system. One of the problems with having the store reset as we did a few weeks back is lots of times new items get introduced and those items then have to be put into the register system.. I managed to get all of the concession candy updated and well as some of the new bagged candy that we are now carrying. Of course I still had to do my weekly thing of placing an order for our first delivery of next week. As an added bonus, because the July 4th falls on a Monday all deliveries from our grocery provider are pushed back a day next week, which means we will be getting only two, on Tuesday and Thursday rather than our normal Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine. It also meant I had to go down the street and place an order for our other store as well, since they do not get a Monday delivery typically, just Wednesday and Friday, they would be cut down to just one delivery (Thursday) under the adjusted holiday calendar. Plus I had to go there and make some price changes in their register system, things that if I don't do them will just no get done. I don't even know with Tom no longer working there if they have anyone who even has the skill set to do such a thing. I call such tasks the illusion of non work, I am sure if someone sees you at a desk just pounding away on a keyboard they assume whatever you are doing isn't that important, that you as creating busy work in lieu of actually waiting on customers, but truth be told without thpose types of things, nothing else runs properly. So it is safe to say that with no one doing this now at our other store, I have no idea what is and is not in their system at the correct price.


But after about 5 hours I manage to get everything squared away and decide I can probably go home for the day, when I realized that I was missing a quarter. Well, not missing, I am sure I have quarters in my apartment someplace but I didn't bring correct change with me for the bus ride back. So I am thinking I will either have to go someplace and get change for a $20 just to get a quarter, or I will have to walk home, which I can do it is only about and hour walk and the weather around here recently has been nothing short of fabulous, so walking would not have been an issue. But as I get out of Universal News, locking the doors and gate, I look on the ground and given how my mojo has been working recently, lying there on the ground is in fact a quarter. Guess I am not walking after all.


But now I am thinking I am not sure I want to go home just yet. After all, if I go home I am just going to putz around on the computer most of the night, and while that isn't a bad plan, I have a tendency to sit around and dwell on things when left to my own devices, and I wasn't in a dwelling sort of mood. So I decide that instead I will go and visit my friend Rich (Multiply peeps will know him as Howletzer1, though he has forgot his password and hasn't been on here in ages). He and I haven't hung out in far too long, and with him it is the issue of working full time and then coming home and taking care of his wife, who is disabled. So I get that we can't just hang out whenever and wherever and I should be more proactive in spending time with him and his family, so after work I decided to stop by and pay a visit. And it was a good visit, just sitting around shooting the breeze for a few hours, catching up on all that has happened since last we hung out months ago (it was during my time there I sent the Gone Fishing post), so it was good to change up my normal routine a bit.


But eventually I did drag my ass back home, getting in somewhere around 11pm after walking back from Rich's place. Not that I missed much by not being home, the girls who live in the front apartment were sitting out on their porch, the guys that live in back of me apparently took to drinking as there were beer cans all strewn about everywhere, enough that had I been home I am sure I would have been irked by it, but ignorance is bliss in such situations.


Now for today, no plans and it feels great. Just watch some tennis (the men's final) and maybe sneak out for lunch and do some cleaning or take a nap, since I was once again up way to early. And of course, try not to think too much. Thinking is bad, mmmkay.


5 comments:

  1. At least you had a productive day. For some reason I can't watch tennis. Playing it is ok, well except I'm not really good at it, but I put watching tennis up there with watching golf. In both I look forward to the excitement of an innocent bi stander being hit by an errant ball. Other then that it bores the crap out of me. Which is strange because I will watch cars drive around in circles for hours, football players tackling each other over and over and hockey players gliding up and down the ice for a couple hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just usually watch the finals of the big 4 and sometimes the seims, but that is about it. I appreciate sports being played at their highest level, even if I have no skill at them whatsoever. I have been watching a lot of rugby (mostly 7s) recently, still trying to wrap my head around all of the rules but I have come to like it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a couple local rec rugby teams. It's fun to watch their games. Wicked sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I produced a local rugby radio show for about 6 months for the Pittsburgh Harlequins. Those guys were hilarious. A couple of guys who would spent their show prep time out in the parking lot getting high while I was doing all of the reseach for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the local teams is the Flying Eagles and I have questions the flying part. I've always wondered if during a scrum they were passing a joint around in the amoeba shaped mass in the field. They make it look like they are positioning and blocking each other but with their heads and shoulders together it would be easy to hot box a joint.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been