Sunday, February 6, 2011

Neverending Thread 2011

I'm back!!!!  Or more to the point, it's back.  Yes it has taken me far to long to start this blog entry.  For those that are new to the page a brief description, the Neverending Thread is my list of books that I read over a calendar year.  Usually I will start with one in the initial entry (this entry right here) then add books to the comments as the year progresses.  For those that are Multiply members it is easy to keep up, a new comment moves the thread to the top of their update feed, for those that aren't I tend to tag the thread so it can be reached from my blog's homepage. 

Disclaimers out of the way, it is a little late in the year to be finishing my first book, but as I said in the past we had that little issue of delivery from Amazon (actually a few issues, one order that didn't arrive and a subsequent order the post office decided to keep for a few days before making available, thankfully I didn't order during Super Bowl week or I might never have gotten it the way everything shuts down here).   But after lots of sputs and starts, and the issue of finding time to read we have our first completed book for 2011, "Idiot America" by Charles P Pierce.  Since I am one to provide links to my reading material, I believe this is called for http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-America-Stupidity-Became-Virtue/dp/0767926153/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297000110&sr=8-1

I could talk about this book and what I liked or didn't like, but that isn't what I do, I just list the reading material, Amazon and other outlets do a far better job regarding book reviews than I could, so I will not infringe on their territory.  Suffice it to say if you are a conservative, I got better than even money you will hate it and if you are a liberal better than even money that you like it, though I would argue for all of the wrong reasons, many of which are why it is titled "Idiot America" to begin with.

Rather than a book review I will steal a paragraph from the book's afterword, one that kind of stuck with me. The book's afterward deals in part with the Glenn Beck phenomenon, because Beck's show wasn't nearly as popular when the book was first written, and how the mainstream media has treated his show.  From the book....

     :"Journalism almost fails here.  The people  - and the person leading them - are utterly out of their minds.   I do not need to find three sources for this.  I do not need to find someone to say, well, some of them are only sort of out of their minds.  If I see a guy walking down the street with a duck on his head, I can write that I saw a guy walking down the street with a duck on his head.  I don't have to find someone to say they saw a guy walking down the street with a duck on his head, and I particularly don't need to find someone on the other side who will say, no, what you saw was a duck walking down the street with a guy on his ass.  I am not obligated to treat transparent lunacy as though it were worthy of respect simply because it happens to be popular.  I am not obligated to be that nice a person.  And neither are you."


     That is as close to a review as you will get from me on this page so enjoy.  As for me, time to crack open another book.

14 comments:

  1. Okay, admittedly getting the first book out of the way took a while. It doesn't help that the Shelfari thing reminds me that I am reading at a slower pace than last year when I log in. Well here is to picking up the pace a little. Nothing like a Robert Parker book to help things along, and this now becomes victim #2 of 2001.

    http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Goat-Robert-B-Parker/dp/0440141966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297460494&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pace never bothers me too much, I like to reread books I already have

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually not much of a rereader unless I am really bored (and poor) then I might go back and revisit something I already read, or if I read it so long ago that I need a refresher course, such as I did with the Mission Earth series, i first read them in my junior or senior year of high school and then went back and reread them about a decade or so later. As long as I have new material coming in I tend to add to the collection more than reread things I already have and since I have about $50 in Amazon cash laying around new material shouldn't be hard to come by for the short term anyway. Besides the last book of my shipment from them is going to take a little bit of time, I tend to read slower my non fiction material then my fiction stuff, which I breeze through way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I think I am getting back in the swing of things, the third book of the year is now complete. The pluses to it are that 1) it is a David McCullough and I love his history books, and 2) I am somewhat familiar with where it took place, so I could visualize some of the things mentioned in the book. One minus for the book would be that it wasn't as in depth as some of McCullough's other work (John Adams, Pathway Between the Seas for instance) though that may be to the lack of research material that was available. Not that the book was poorly sourced, but many of the records that may have helped in helping to create a fuller picture were no doubt lost in the flood itself, and some of the more powerful people involved in the story did not leave much in the public record regarding their involvement, including the members of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club. That being said, this was far from a bad book, but my standards for McCullough are high and while this was good, it wasn't the best thing I have ever read by him.

    http://www.amazon.com/Johnstown-Flood-David-McCullough/dp/0671207148/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298148617&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good but long entry into the list, though with the Shelfari thing to the right I am wondering about the relevance of adding to this thread. I suppose this at least alerts those that aren't paying attention, a problem that I too have from time to time. Anyway, a decent read for those that are political junkies like me. For those that aren't, you can probably find 700 pages of better reading material.
    http://www.amazon.com/Death-American-Virtue-Clinton-Starr/dp/0307409457/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299903946&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookie there, another one. That was good for a couple of days, I better get my next order for Amazon ready, lonly one book to go.

    http://www.amazon.com/Godwulf-Manuscript-Robert-B-Parker/dp/0440129613/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300052182&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time for another add to the thread. Technically it has been off on the side of the page for a couple of days now, but for those that don't pay attention to all of the pretty pictures around this place

    http://www.amazon.com/Game-Change-Clintons-McCain-Lifetime/dp/0061733644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300646548&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, it's about time I go and put this here, it has been off toi the side for a while now. More non fiction, but thankfully not of the political sort for a change.

    http://www.amazon.com/Undisputed-Become-World-Champion-Steps/dp/0446538159/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301370902&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  9. My throwaway on my last order from Amazon, I basically got this book so that I could get the free shipping and handling, which was about the same as this book. Some of the material is dated, as fantasy football has grown considerably since this book was written, but it was a good read anyway. http://www.amazon.com/Committed-Confessions-Fantasy-Football-Junkie/dp/B001O9CGFS/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302388728&sr=1-4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time to add to the thread again. One of the thing I mentioned I wanted to do was read all of the Spenser books by Robert B Parker, I had read bits and pieces of the series, though not in any particular order, so one of my gaols is to read all of the books in the series. I finished the first one earlier this year, this is the second. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_37?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=god+save+the+child+by+robert+b+parker&sprefix=god+save+the+child+by+robert+b+parker

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stealing something from the afterword of my latest read
    "Everybody is a tourist outside the bounds of his own life: wondering how the natives manage, trying to get a taste of it while knowing he'll never know what it is like to live there." Don't know why, but that just stuck with me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Book-Vice-Very-Naughty-Things/dp/0060843837/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310095096&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been