Friday, February 18, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 49 - The Spring Collection


   I thought I would take the time to use one of my 365 entries to introduce my Diablo 2 character, Yahoo.  Don't ask me why I picked that name, mainly it was because I am playing a paladin and I figured it would be a sucky experience, so what better way to describe such an experience than by naming it after a sucky online experience, that being Yahoo..


     The first screen is a very basic shot of my character.  You will note on the equipment screen the bottom third or so is full of boxes and that there are a number of items placed there.  That is what the character is able to carry at any given time.  There is a blue book which is a Tome of Town Portal, allowing the character to teleport back to the base camp of whichever act they are playing, and at the bottom of the second column is a key (actually 12 of them, but it is designated with just one) which allow you to open locked chests that can be encountered through the game.  The rest of the objects are called charms.  Charms can be found throughout the game and the grant the owner certain bonuses as long as they are carried on ones person.  They are not necessary, but they are helpful.  I currently am carrying 16 of them, and rather than do a point and click on each one I will just give you a brief rundown of all of my collective bonuses;

+2 maximum damage, +16 attack rating, +4 dexterity, +6 strength,  1-4 lightning damage, 4-8 fire damage, poison resist +31%, lightning resist +5%, +21 poison damage over 3 seconds, +18 defense, +7 life, 1-2 cold damage

What that all means is this as far as what my character looks like from a strictly statistical standpoint


As for the equipment I am currently wearing, well it isn't great by any stretch, it rarely is this early in the game, but if I am going to offer the entire spring collection than it is only appropriate that I cover everything I am wearing

No better place to start than with the armor I am wearing. 




The blue lettering means that the item is simply common magical.  Not that ancient armor is common, but that of all the types of items that one can find or create in the game, magical is the most common of them.

Next up would be the helm.  You'll note that the name, unlike the armor, is in yellow, which signifies that not only is it a magic item, but a rare magic item.  There are three types of magic items in the game, common, rare and unique.  Commons are just that, common, rares are less frequent but still relatively random in the game.  Uniques are one of a kind items and the hardest of the magic items to find.  Unlike common or rares, the magical abilities of uniques are not variable, they are set in stone and a list of them can be found on Blizzard's Diablo 2 page.

The belt is another rare magic item, and that is all I can really say about it.

Another rare magic item would be the gloves that I am currently wearing.  Don't worry, not everything is simply of the magical variety.

There are also some items that are socketed, that is they can be granted bonuses by by inserting into them jewels, gems or runes.  In this particular instance the item involved has three sockets, which I have filled with three gems (for purposes of game classification skulls would be considered gems).  Also of note is the fact that the weapon is class specific, that is only certain classes can either use an item or get the bonuses from it.  In the case of a scepter, that would be a paladin specific weapon, and this one grants me a +2 to one of my paladin abilities (charge).

But wait, there is more to the Diablo 2 learning curve and this can add to that learning process.  One of the things about socketed items is that, like I said previously, is that you can place either gems, jewels or runes.  The thing about runes is that there are what can best be described rune recipes, combinations of runes that if the item has the proper number of sockets and the appropriate runes are inserted in the proper order, you can get significant bonuses for it.  The most basic of these is the Ancient's Pledge, which is almost given away in the game during Act 3.  If you find a three socketed shield and have the runes Ral, Ort and Tal and enter them in that exact order, you have gotten one of the many recipes.  The Diablo 2 site has a list of all of the possibities, and in this case I am using that very recipe.  I should note that the crown shield, like the scepter in the last picture, is also a class specific item.  For Paladin's only.  No Dogs Allowed.

Finally the footwear and now you get to see just what a unique magic item looks like.  Rather than yellow lettering, the lettering comes in gold.  And these items are one of a kind, so should I run across pair of these specific chain boots in the game,  the stats on them will be exactly the same as these. 



Lastly, a character may wear two rings and one amulet.  Rather than bore you with details on each item I figured I would just lump them altogether here at the bottom.  And when you put all of these items together on a character, they look something like this


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been