Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 32 - Traffic stops

I feel like I haven't been here in ages, though truth be told I have been here off and on far too often recently. Not only that, but between a few other boards I regularly visit I tend to think I have done more writing in the past week than I have in the past 6 months.


Not that my writing has gotten drastically better, it hasn't. I am wondering if that is ever going to be the case. I'll admit that one of the things I had hoped would come out of blogging every day is that I would become a better writer, not publishable, but at least serviceable. Instead I think it has gotten worse rather than better, that I am getting into sloppy habits as it were, and since the only person around me to correct such an issue is the very person who is to blame for it, well let's just say that isn't the most ideal of situations.


I have found that sleeping has become an issue laden process as well. My normal up and down nature has been riddled with odd, strange and sometimes scary dreams. On Saturday I went to breakfast with Sammy at DeLuca's, I didn't get anything crazy, but as I was taking the bus into town at an all too early hour for a Saturday, I hopped into my seat and began to doze off. And I got into the dream state that could best be described as weird, where I was trying to reason things out in my head, then I would start to doze off and imaginary problems, issues and solutions would come to mind, then I would pop back awake wondering just what I was thinking, only to have the process repeat itself a number of times on what was basically a 10 minute bus ride. Wake up for 30 seconds, doze for 30 seconds. I am not sure how to describe the experience. I know that many years ago, back when I was in high school, I would often find myself contemplating problems for calculus class, and while I was sleeping my mind would keep working on problems that I had a hard time with, and if I was aware enough to remember those ideas, I would sometimes actually find the answer to my numeric conundrum in my dreams from the previous night, but this wasn't like that, it was more like my little naps would warp and distort reality just enough that when I would wake up I wouldn't recognize what I was contemplating before I dozed off.


And that was good compared to last night, where I finally turned in a little after 1am, only to wake up at 2:30am after having a dream where I was caught in a tornado, but rather than being bounced around by the wind, the wind was actually sucking the breath from my lungs. When I woke up I actually had to take a couple of deep breaths just to make sure my lungs were still functional. Not a pleasant experience by any stretch of the imagination, and given it is my imagination that is giving me fits these days, I am almost dreading the arrival of bedtime this evening.


One thing that has suffered with all of the writing and weird dreaming I have been doing is that I haven't got as much reading done as I would like. It is a shame too, because I am really enjoying my book when I find time to actually open it. The only plus to me not reading as fast is that I am able to stockpile more Amazon cash, I have picked up another $10 since I got my last order from them, I have another $5 pending and I am halfway to another $5 gift card. Plus I am almost halfway to a $10 gift card from doing surveys. I just might try to do all of my Christmas shopping online this year if this keeps up. Worst case scenario I will be able to add to my Shelfari closet.


I would like to say there have been other things of note going on here recently, but the city is all caught up in Steeler fever with the Super Bowl coming up this coming Sunday. I am pretty much indifferent at this point. From people just coming up to me on the street and giving me their opinion on what the Steelers need to do to win, when in fact I never asked them, to the absolutely horrid writing of the papers, churning out such Dr Suess-esque witticisms as “Stairway to Seven” and “Seventh Heaven” in regards to a possible 7th Super Bowl win for the Steelers, it is all just too much. I turned on the news Saturday night and they went a full 5 stories into the newscast before they went to the first element that wasn't regarding the Steelers, and that was the weather. And this was 8 days before the game. Now even the weather has gotten in on the act, giving us forecasts from Dallas where the game is being played. The fact the game will be indoors and the weather should have nothing to do with the game, barring the elements causing the collapse of the building's roof, is inconsequential. I would like to root, root, root for the home team, but damn they are making it hard. Forget the fact that if the Steelers do win I will get my ass kicked at work during the victory parade (which will run right in front of the store), I am starting to hate this game before it is even played.


I was thinking of glogging the game at one point, now I almost assuredly will not, unless I get that cool Swedish TV channel for the game on the web, then I might go all Lane Meyer and watch just for the language lessons. (To the one person in the room that got that, you get a cookie.)


Just listening to Pandora while I am working on this blog entry and some artist by the name of Anders Osbourne came on. Don't know who he is, or what it is he allegedly does, but I am sorry I have used all of my skips already, because that wasn't good. Mind you, it wasn't “cat in a blender bad”, it was more like “some day I hope to grow up and be James Taylor” bad. Great, another person to annoy me with their music on public television in 10 years.


I notice the hits ticked up ever so slightly on the blog page. While I don't beg for traffic I do make note of it. Of course we realize that those ticks have nothing whatsoever to do with me, and within a week or so I will go back down to my normal numbers of maybe a hit here or there, but to those that have dropped by the page, mucho appreciado as I sometimes say.


Well I can't think of anything more to say. Then again even if I could, I might be wise to save it. After all, this project has only gotten one month off of the calendar, there are still eleven to go.

4 comments:

  1. the hits have every thing to do with you - It's a good measure of your blogging skills

    the family is doing a Chinese New Year thing - too much food and kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Doug had a lot of fans and they are coming out of the woodwork, trying to find anything related to him on the web. There are audio cuts of him on Youtube, the Pittsburgh oldies channel did a 4 hour show dedicated to him on Sunday, they are replaying his 8 hour broadcast he did for them shortly after leaving radio this Sunday, a Facebook fan page, and even my blog has been linked (not by my doing) to one local radio board, and mentioned on a second. Now I don't expect them to stick around for the long haul, but I am glad that they stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I love Chinese food, or at least the American bastardized version of it.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been