Tuesday, September 1, 2015

B365V2.99 - I'm thinkin, I'm drinkin

Well, I guess this is one way to pad my billable hours.  Standing on 4th Avenue waiting for a bus to the Waterfront, because we ran out of large envelopes in the office today.  This isn't a must have kind of trip, otherwise I could have asked Ed to pick them up, but because it is a work related activity you can rest assured it will show up on my time sheet.  Have to make that vacation money after all.

Just saw a very cute girl come out of the Standard Life building across the street.  I had considered moving in there a few months ago, my lease was expiring on my apartment and the thought of getting a downtown apartment a block from work does have its appeal, but there are to many crazy crack addled folks down here for my taste.  Who am I kidding, one is too many for my taste.

Well, on the plus side of things my iPad glass has been replaced, but it is still not working right. The touch sensor is off, I don't know if that is glass related ( i. e. The glass is to thick in spots or not level) or if it is a new problem with the iPad itself.  It is a problem I can work around, simply because I don't want to spend more money putting this one back in the shop, he'll any more money and I would have been better off buying a new one.  That s an expense I can table for the time being.  Vacation first, nice things second.

Okay I am on board the 57, now to take a 20 minute nap.  No need to be awake for this.

And so I slept, it was either that or listen to two people on the back of the bus talk about their kids.  It was on a need to know basis and I did not need to know, so I closed my eyes for the 20 or so minutes it takes to get to Homestead.  Funny thing about that though, one of our employees called off today, she claimed she was in the hospital because she had a miscarriage.  I can not ascertain the veracity of the claim, she didn't look pregnant but by the same token she wouldn't be the first 18 year old girl with a jobless boyfriend to get knocked up.  Reality has taught me there is no accounting for taste or common sense when it comes to relationships.  Best to keep my nose out of it.  Unless or until it gets in the way of the operation of my store, then it becomes a matter of doing what's best for business.

Our salesman from Full Circle came in today, he is 45 years old and just had a stroke.  After he left Ed pondered whether or not I was next on the list of heart attack victims.  Certainly I fit the profile, I am high strung, I smoke, I don't watch my diet, I come from a family of people with heart conditions.  So of course I laugh off the suggestion by saying it is impossible, in order to have a heart attack you must have a heart.

Not that this was the first time I have laughed off something serious at work.  There was the day a couple of years ago where someone beat the shit out of me outside the store and the first words out of my mouth were "Well, there goes another satisfied customer."

On board the 61 D headed home, I guess I can turn of the work meter now.  9 hours closer to vacation, and I got to run a personal errand in the process,  picked up some red onions, green peppers, poblanos and some tomato sauce for my chili.  I bought some cleaning supplies for ye olde apartment as well.

I should have looked to see what was playing at the movie theater while I was here, the last movie I saw was the Avengers flick.  Not that I am a huge movie buff or anything, but once in a while a movie provides a little escapism for a couple of hours.  And really when I get home there isn't much for me to do, unless I do make chili tonight.

Have you ever watched a TV show and made up your own back story for it.  Like for me there is the Dukes of Hazzard and my theory that Uncle Jesse was either a pot farmer or a pimp.  Let's be honest here, nobody  had a job in that family, they lived on a farm with no viable cash crop.  Daisy's job consisted of being a part time waitress in a bar with no customers, so Jesse was either growing pot or pimping her out.  Because they never seemed to lack for gas money to go riding all over the countryside.  Or, and this will scare all of the Republicans in the reading audience, they were living on welfare.  And what a fine job the social safety net did to, they had just as many jobs when the show went off the air as when it first started.  Hell Cooter at least had a garage but Bo and Luke never even filled out a fucking job application.  Just saying.

Okay I made it home and meandered to Uncle Jimmy's to have a few pops.  Or Yuenglings if you prefer.  I just didn't want to sit around the apartment all night and this seemed like a good alternative.  I have been talking to Mike, the owner and bartender tonight about football.  Still beats sitting at home.

Okay I bought a round for some regulars ( cue the Replacements song) but I am reaching the point where I should call it a night, before I say something I will end up regretting in the morning. The truth serum known as alcohol is taking effect now.

And suddenly the conversation in the bar has switched to girls with mustaches.  Whew for me and truth serum.  Never have I wished for a change in conversation more than that.

I made it home without bearing my soul, but then again if I don't have a heart why would I have a soul either.  Far better things for me to figure out than that riddle.  Good night.

4 comments:

  1. This post was eminently funny, particularly the part about getting beat up. I'm sorry it happened but it is good blog stuff.

    I chose to ignore the Republican jabs. However, I am curious about the girls with mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the show leaves the viewer the ability to create the whole Duke family backstory by not providing one other than Uncle Jesse used to run moonshine. All they did was drive around the countryside and constantly beat up their car. Where was the money coming from? A legitimate explanation would be that they were welfare queens.
    Girls with mustaches came up because sometone talked about shaving and the girl at the bar (one of the regulars I bought for, as well as her boyfriend) started to talk about what she shaved and her boyfriend said something about a mustache and the fun began.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always figured they made enough off Uncle Jesse;s moonshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Jesse's moonshine was that profitable, usually they referenced it in the show as something he used to do and making and running moonshine is highly illegal, making Boss Hogg et al the good guys on this show. (Which is an interesting concept after seeing the youtube vid on the Karate Kid recently. And it doesn't explain why Bo and Luke never got jobs, the thought that they were collecting welfare would explain a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been