Sunday, September 13, 2015

B365V2.113 - Sunday

Well, the day started off nice enough anyway.  I woke up around 9 ish, played a little puzzle quest, then I decided to be functional enough to walk to Merante's for some goodies I spotted there yesterday.  See, I stopped in on Saturday and bought some celery and lemons for making my chicken and tuna salad at work and while I was there I spied in the dessert freezer some Dutch Apple pies.  Now usually when I look in the freezer I see stuff like cheesecake or canolis that are sold by the slice or pieces and while not overly expensive, I would consider them indulgences more than necessities.  But these weren't slices, these were whole pies, and as a bonus they were only 4.99.  I made a mental note of it and filed it away in the back of my cranium as a pick up for Sunday, because I didn't want to lug it to work only to bring it home on Saturday.

At work on Saturday I just didn't have the requisite energy to do everything I needed to get done, so I tabled making the salads for Sunday, since we don't use them until Monday anyway, and I put off doing price changes and shelf tags in favor of getting my orders done and breaking down invoices for the accountant.   So I first went and got a pie this morning as well as some meatballs for dinner, spaghetti is on the menu at the Matt household this evening, and pie for dessert.  Then I came home, grabbed a shower and headed off to work.

Because Crazy Mocha is not open on weekends, I usually grab my ore work coffee from the gas station up the street.  So I walk up there and the was a slight nip in the air, not cold or even chilly, but a harbinger of the fall season to soon come, but as I opened the door to go inside and get my coffee, it was homey warm.  The feeling was like my grandmother's house during the holidays, when the oven is all fired up with holiday goodies, and she has the thermostat set way too high but I don't care because I am with family.  I am not sure why stepping in there felt like that, but it gave me a momentary pause for sure.  But I grabbed my coffee and headed off to work (Six was not working, which made the trip not as enjoyable for me as it could have been but, oh well.).  I made my way to the bus stop where a woman was hounding people for money to get something to eat.  Then she reaches into her pocket and pulls out a handful of one dollar bills.  Now I don't want to say she was running a scam, those may have been the only dollars she had to her name, but they were more than what I had on me at the time.  And trusting people is not something I do.

So my bus arrives and she tries to get on it before me.  Not that there was a rush to the door or anything, I gladly let her take the lead, but she started this I am poor, woe is me thing with the bus driver, hoping to get out of paying a fare I guess.  He kicked her off of the bus, but I hate getting stuck behind people who have no money (which she had, but didn't want to spend) or people who are using cash for the bus but don't have their money ready prior to boarding.  I really don't have patience for people who are busy fishing around in their pockets or purse for money while keeping me from tapping my pass and grabbing a seat.  I mean, you knew you were going to get on a bus, is it really to much to ask that you are prepared for its arrival?

Anyway, I grab my seat and do the ride into work with no other issues, major or minor.  I get downtown and walk in to work,  I set up my stuff in the deli, I put the eggs and the chicken on to cook, I get the tuna out and then I see that one of the instant ticket machines is down.  This sucks because it isn't what I wanted to do today but is also good because it means had I not come in it would have went unaddressed until Monday.   So I fixed it and added two books of tickets that we sold out of, then went about making the tuna salad.   Got it done, then the chicken salad and lastly the egg salad, simply because boiling the eggs takes the longest of the three.

As it turns out I am glad I did all of the invoices yesterday because our accountant came in today, she usually doesn't come in until Monday.  That mountain of paperwork is off my desk and filed away now, whew.

After finishing the egg salad I decided to work on some price changes that came in, ever the diligent one, I need to keep us on point when it comes to our margins.  That is if the store wants to be able to afford to pay its employees.  So I go through two packets of new shelf tags and a booklet of price changes, meanwhile one of the employees that was supposed to be there for the 3 pm shift change is a half hour late.  This wouldn't be an issue except the same employee keeps doing it all the time.  I have had to call Ed about this, which is something I am sure he doesn't want to be bothered with in Florida, but I know better to make any calls on what to do with employees, I will just get superseded by Ed or Brian and will look weaker for my effort.  So I have dropped this particular problem squarely in Ed's lap, because Ed makes the schedule and it is an honor system of sorts, we don't have a time clock, so you are expected to be there when your scheduled and mark the schedule yourself when you are late, which this employee does not do and I will not have anyone stealing hours from us when I am trying to keep the lights on and pay bills.  Especially when the same employee is always crying that Ed got his hours wrong.

After work I decided to step outside, fire off ye olde camera for a few random pics, wasn't trying to be a photographer or anything, but like I said the other day, I get more hits with sexually related material and/or with pictures. Not sure if that says something about me as a writer or something about my readership.  Anyway, here are some pictures.

      Why I don't do Pamela's for breakfast on weekends during the school year very much.  Soviet style bread lines waiting to get in the door isn't my thing.

     Smithfield Street on a Sunday morning.


     Hey, I work there.  Imagine that.

     PPG Place, from way down at the bottom.

     Musical entertainment for Market Square today consisted of just this gentleman.

     The window at SW Randall, my favoritest toy store in downtown Pittsburgh.  The fact it is the only one diminishes that title a little bit.  Still the window display looked a little barren, I hope they aren't going the way of Macy's.


     The new PNC Tower nearing completion.  Your TARP dollars, bank bailout money hard at work here, PNC needs another building downtown, considering they only have like, 3 others.


     The steps up to my blogging temple, or my blogging spot when I write downtown.

     The view of my blogging spot from someplace besides my traditional seat.

     Sometimes I like to play in traffic, from the middle of Grant Street.

Going all Rick Sebak and things that aren't there anymore, this used to be the movie theater downtown, now I think there is a welfare office inside.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been