Monday, November 24, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 319 - Cookoffs

     Don't mind me, I am just making a late nite batch of chili.  I have been meaning to make a batch for a while now but my laziness kicks in most evenings after work.  I didn't work today however, so I guess I have ample time to make chili, though why I started it at 12:30 at night is anyone's guess.

     Really I was hoping to make it last night, after work I made a trip to The Waterfront, under the guise that I had to pick up office supplies for work, which in fact is a truth.  I have run out of envelopes to file away the daily paperwork, and I also know we were running low on staples so I figured after work I would run over and pick those things up.  Plus I had my new book with me, so pretty much any bus ride is more tolerable if I can sit here and read the entire time. 

     Problem was I didn't get out of work until almost 8pm and the next bus that goes there from town arrives at 8:15pm, so I had time to catch it, but by the time the bus made all of its stops along the way we pulled into m destination right around 9pm.  Still, it's a Saturday night, stores are pitching pre Black Friday sales now (remind me again how there is a war on Christmas, the holiday is now taking up 6 weeks, almost 1/8th of the entire fucking calendar) so I should be able to get in and out of Office Depot pretty quickly and then go buy my foodstuffs to make chili.  Except when I got to OD they had in fact just closed, so I pretty much wasted a trip.  Well the trip was noteworthy in that I had possibly the worst Port Authority driver ever, she had to have taken the bus up onto curbs and sidewalks at least 4 times during the trip.  I think they get bonus pay for that or something.

     Anyway I still went to a couple of stores, Target first to pick up a scented candle for my apartment as well as some deodorant and then to Bottom Dollar, where I grabbed ground beef, kidney beans, peppers and onions for chili.  Of course I also bought other stuff, I am terrible in grocery stores, I always end up getting more than I planned on.  I walked out with four bags full of groceries.

     I made it home but with the realization that I would have to turn around and go back today to get the office supplies that I didn't get on Saturday, so rather than making chili this afternoon I was shopping for envelopes and staples, and desk calendars and pens.  When I got home it was after 2pm, so I checked up on my fantasy football teams and just spent the rest of the afternoon being lazy.  Finally around 8 o'clock I got up the gumption to venture out to CVS, my house was still lacking in the beverage department (I had no desire to lug that on the bus Saturday) and while there I saw more stuff that I didn't need but was on sale so I bought anyway.  Lots of items where you get the price of the item back in reward bucks, which is just money you can spend in the store next time you are there.  For instance, they had Combos for 1.69 a bag, but you got $1.69 in reward bucks for your next visit.  I am normally there once a week or so, so I will easily spend the free cash.

     When I got home I goofed on the computer for a bit, watched some of the late NFL game, even though I didn't have anyone in it from a fantasy perspective and then I decided to do some dishes and start chopping veggies for chili.  Once I chopped the veggies I threw them in the skillet with 1.5 lbs of ground beef and let them cook together on low heat, then put the veggie and meat concoction into the crock pot with two cans of kidney beans, one large can of diced tomatoes and one large can of tomato sauce, all of which I seasoned with a healthy dose of Frank's Hot Sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper, white pepper, garlic salt, regular salt and Italian seasoning. 

     Now I am just letting that jumbled mess slow cook in my crock pot, it will definitely be done before work in the morning, but give my sleeping habits recently, this will probably keep me up until it is time to get ready.  Saturday I didn't get to sleep until 6am, so I am hoping to just power through a day and then go to sleep at a normal time on Monday after work. 

     Well, time to check on the chili so I will call it a night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been