Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 311 - Channelling my inner Jim Mora

     Those who are familiar with his rant remember when Jim Mora, then head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, was asked about the playoffs after his team lost a game where they turned the ball over 5 times.  I believe the exact quote was "Playoffs?  Don't talk to me about playoffs.  I'll just be happy to win a game."  And while my teams have fared better than his Colts did on that given Sunday, the truth remains, don't talk to me about playoffs, I just want to win a game. 

     With that being said, or typed, it is time to look at how my fantasy teams did this weekend.

     Fantasy Football

     Work League - A 119.18 - 72.62 win, pushing my record to 6-4 and extending my winning streak to 5 games.  Based on that win and other results in the league I am currently in 4th place, with the top 4 teams making the playoffs.  Up next is a matchup with the 3rd place team, who has the exact same record as me at 6-4 but holds the tiebreaker in this league due to beating me in week 2 of the season.

    Swagbucks league - A 140.00 - 78.64 win, and now I sit at 8-2 and still in first place.  There is one other team with an 8-2 record, but in this league the tiebreaker is points scored and my 140.00 points this week was the highest score in the league this season, meaning I actually extended my lead by 10 points (the other 8-2 team scored 130 this week).  The total difference between the two teams is 69.5 points, or about 7 points a week.  With 4 weeks left in the regular season I have a three game lead on 5th place, and since the top 4 teams make the playoffs, I am not guaranteed a playoff spot but if I consult my Magic 8 Ball I am sure it would say "Chances Are Very Likely".

     Fantasy Hockey

     My league - A 6-2-3 week leaves my record for the year at 23-13-8, good for 5th place in the overall standings.  I am still trying to dig my way out of that horrible week 2 mess that buried me.  I do have the best team in the league in two categories, assists and shutouts, it's the other 9 categories that count that I seem to falter in.  My opponent this week is in 6th place overall, but actually has won one more game than me (24-15-5), so climbing up further in the standings this week will not be easy.

     Radio league - I still don't understand it, chances are I will never understand it.  I have already mentioned the Jakub Voracek conundrum last week, 2nd in the NHL in points (22) yet ranked 33rd in fantasy points.  Compare that too Dion Phaneuf, who has 7 points on the season (1 G, 6 A) yet is somehow ranked 4th in fantasy points. It just makes no sense and anyone saying it does must smoke a lot of crack.  So to say I am in last place, despite having on my roster the guys that rank #1, #2 and #6 in scoring in the NHL should come as no surprise.  Apparently it is more important to block a shot or win a faceoff than it is to actually, you know, score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been