Thursday, November 13, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 312 - Bad calls

     I was sitting in my apartment Tuesday night, just minding my own business which I do more often than not, when I got a text message from my aunt Amy asking if I would be around.  Since I really wasn't doing anything, of course I was around.  We proceeded to talk, she had a baby shower for her soon to be first grandchild and one of the people that went was my mom, and after witnessing how my mom was at the event she was concerned. 

     I have been as well, what I have not been able to figure out is how much of the current condition my mom is in is temporary versus how much of it is permanent.  Her memory still isn't what it was, she still talks of seeing her parents (my grandparents of course) which is quite the impossibility since they have both passed away. 

     I had sent my mom her first Christmas present in the mail on Monday, two tickets to the Pittsburgh - Kansas City game on Dec 21st (I sent them because obviously the game is taking place before Christmas) and after Amy's phone call I thought I would call home on Wednesday just to see if the tickets had arrived yet.  It would also give me a good chance to possible gauge my mother's condition. 

     So I got home Wednesday night, settled in and dialed up my mom, and honestly, I don't even think she knew who I was for at least part of the conversation.  When I said it was Matt, she seemed lost, like I was someone calling to talk to Matt as opposed to it being me on the phone.  As the conversation progressed I asked if the tickets had arrived and she said yes, they came on Tuesday, which would be impossible.  Tuesday was a government holiday, no mail would have been delivered that day, plus I had just put them in the mail Monday night after work.  Mind you I live close enough that mail should get there in a couple of days, but not a couple of hours. 

     It is all just sad and disheartening.  I keep hoping for some signs of improvement since her surgery, but honestly I am not seeing them.  I am not expecting or hoping for miracles, my mom is never going to be someone who runs a marathon or anything, but I still hope for little signs of improvement, yet I am not even seeing those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been