Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 264 - Explaining myself


         Now that I am back in my apartment I can blog a little more freely than I could last night.  I went home on Saturday to both check up on my mom, who seems to be better than when I talked to her on the phone Friday and to help with future repairs to their trailer.

      I am sure I mentioned it in the past but a little while back the trailer across the street from my mom's place caught on fire.  The blaze was quick and very hot, three people died in the fire including a nine year old girl, and because of the proximity of my mom's place to the fire, her place suffered damage both from the heat, which cause some of the siding to melt, and the water because the firemen hosed down their home to keep it from going up in flames also.  An unintended consequence was that hosing down my mom's place ended up damaging the roof.  

     So naturally there was an insurance claim filed to cover the damage and one company came out and gave the insurers an estimate, but then they never actually showed up to do the job.  This process went on for a good three months, and anyone who has been around here this summer knows that while we didn't have monsoon season, we did have extended periods where it would rain off and on for days, each day making the damage that originally happened even worse.  It was so bad that part of the ceiling collapsed in the master bedroom, making the room completely uninhabitable.  Water damage also got into the walls and floor, ruining the bed, the carpet and at least half of the floor.  So my project on my day off was to assist in moving the remaining furniture and stuff in the bedroom and then tear out the remaining carpet so the whole floor can be recarpeted. 

     This is when you come to appreciate just how much stuff people have, because there wasn't enough space in the rest of the trailer to put the stuff that was still in there.  Mike and I managed to bag up most of it, as well as dust all of the stuff that was coated from the work that was previously done, then tear out the rest of the remaining carpet.  Of course doing this might have shown another problem, as there is another spot in the floor that looks like it is water damaged and may need replaced as well.  We probably spent a good 5 hours just moving stuff around and removing carpet (which I did most of) before we called it a day. 

     I might end up going back next weekend and helping again, apparently the new carpet is coming on the 29th and everything has to be ready for it to be installed, though I still have no idea where a lot of this stuff will go.  Hopefully the installers will be able to work around it and move it as needed, if not I have no clue where things such as the giant vanity/dresser are going to go.  And I want no part of unpacking everything we packed up today, I swear I bagged up like 6 garbage bags full of stuffed animals that I do not want to put back when everything is finally done.  I'll leave the unpacking to the professionals, I am only good at breaking stuff, not fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been