Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 245 - Sorry culture

     I sat down at my computer today after work, not really looking for anything in specific, just going through my normal routine including checking my Facebook account.  I don't do nearly the apps over there that I used to, about the only thing I "play" on Facebook is the Chess Puzzle of the Day, but I do see if some of my friends and relatives have posted anything new and I will scroll through the newsfeed.  Beyond that though I actually don't do much with it, much of what is mine that pops up over there, like this blog entry, are actiually created elsewhere and then just cross posted from other places.  I am sure that annoys the shit out of people when I am doing things like listening to Pandora, and my songs start littering my personal newsfeed.  At least it isn't pictures of cats, right?

     It comes as a surprise to me then that today's blog is somewhat inspired by my time spent on Facebook.  While there i noticed a note over in the trending section and I went ahead to click through and see what all of the trending fuss was about.  Apparently the singer CeeLo Green had deleted his Twitter account. Not exactly earth shattering news, but the reason for his shutting down of Twitter was from some blowback he received when he posted some tweets suggesting that a woman who is unconscious can't be raped.  This was in response to his pleading no contest in a case where he was accused of spiking the drink of a dinner companion.  Yes, that is some pretty horrific shit right there to be pleading no contest to, just to get an easier sentence, but to then turn to Twitter and defend your actions as if it is some sort of even remotely acceptable behavior is beyond the pail.

     Anyone who has learned anything about how the world operates tese days though should know how this plays out, after closing his Twitter account, CeeLo was back the next day apologizing for the words he typed or wrote a mere day earlier, because nothing is so bad that a simply apology can't make up for it a day later.  It is just standard operating procedure now, screw up, apologize, usually with a mea culpa along the lines of how much what happened really isn't like the author or actor in question and all will be forgiven. 

     Maybe that works in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn't work for me personally.  These rants, or whatever you want to call them, are more like windows to the soul, for the first time I get to see just who these people truly are.  I get to see what a Michael Richards thinks of black people, or CeeLo Green thinks of sexually assaulting a woman and no number of apologies can change that fact.  I have no use of the wash, rinse, repeat, repeat cycle their publicists have them put out in order to continue to cash checks from the public at large. And no, I am not going to apologize for feeling that way.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been