Saturday, October 18, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 291 - Morning minus the glory

I can't say that this is an early start to the day, but it is early enough.  I am sitting at the counter at Kelly O's waiting on a roast beef and Swiss cheese omelet.  It is another weekend where I am in Pittsburgh rather than helping out with remodeling but again it is one of those things that couldn't be avoided.

     I usually send in a grocery order on Thursday, and that order is then delivered on Friday as well as any other cigarette orders we get in.  The cigarette orders I call in separately, then I will send the grocery order in electronically via a handheld unit that transmits over the internet.

     Friday I was running late into work, I overslept, and when I got there our grocery order had already come and gone.  Except it hadn't, at least not all of it.  All of the cigarette orders I had called in were there, but the order I sent in via the web wasn't.  I went to the office to see what happened, perhaps that order was mistakenly placed on another truck or something.  It wasn't, instead what I found was a transmission error on the handheld unit.  After I had placed it in the unit and hit send on Thursday I had walked away, the amount of stuff that is popping up on my plate on a daily basis this days is such that once I hit send I really don't have the time to sit there and babysit it, I am off to do something else.  Seeing the error message a day after I sent the order explained a lot, but it left me few ways to fix things.

     I made some phone calls to see if a delivery could be rescheduled that day ( it couldn't, all of the trucks were already out), or if it could be sent on Saturday (Saturday deliveries have been discontinued).  The only option is for Monday delivery.  Given I didn't place an order on Tuesday because I was helping with a freezer delivery and now my Thursday order isn't there means that I will be going a full week between deliveries.  Not very good when selling things is how we make money and the last order I did place was under the notion I would be getting another one two days later and not seven days afterward and it is just another of those things I am left trying to put out after the fact.

      Thus I am headed back to the friendly confines this morning, trying to fix things and get other things caught up.  Ed is planning on coming in at some point today or tonight so I will have to make sure the store looks good for his return including getting our two new freezers merchandised properly and getting about 10 days worth of invoices off of my desk.

     Anyway breakfast is just about over, I need to get this show on the road and pretend like I work or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been