Thursday, October 16, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 289 - The timing couldn't be worse

     I haven't looked in my mailbox in a few days.  Not that I actively avoid the mail, just for whatever reason I have missed checking the mail the last couple of days, but on my way home tonight I cracked open the mailbox to see what might be in there.  Not so sure I should have looked.  Inside the mailbox was a letter from the District Court of Allegheny County. 

      Now rest assured I am not a fugitive from justice, instead the letter was to indicate that there will be a preliminary hearing in regards to the robbery that recently took place in our store.  I do not know if this letter means I must attend as a potential witness, even though I wasn't, I merely grabbed the surveillance footage from our cameras.  I can answer some questions with regard to what is on the tape, but I did not arrive on the scene until about 45 minutes after everything happened so perhaps this letter is nothing more than a notification.

     I know I am hoping it is, because the timing couldn't possibly be worse, it is the day after my mother's scheduled surgery.  Now based on what I know and what I have been able to look up at this point, it is possible that her surgery could be almost an outpatient procedure.  It boggles my mind because when I think about it, it sounds a lot more serious than that.  You start talking blood flow to the brain and I honestly get incredibly nervous, so the idea that this is a procedure that could be done and the patient could be home the same day is either a wonder of modern medicine or just proof that medical care in this country has gone the way of the restaurant industry where it is all about turning tables, or in this case, beds.  At any given moment leading up to this surgery I could have my mind on either of those trains of thought, if not both.

     But if the procedure does involve a longer stay in the hospital then I may have a problem if this letter means my presence is required for the preliminary hearing.  I see nothing in the letter that says I am a witness or may be called as one, but then again I am not sure why I am being sent a letter if it is not for that reason.  I am not familiar enough with the legal process to know if they just send letters out to everyone who is even tangentially involved with a case to keep them abreast of the proceedings. 

     I asked Ed, though with hi in Florida I am not sure what he can do until at least Saturday when he comes back.  I may fax him a copy of it tomorrow, just so he can look at it.  While he may not know any more than I do, he knows people who know a lot more than I do and sometimes that is just as good.

     Anyway, enough with the bitching and moaning, I need to get up and make myself functional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been